Dump & Restore

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Dump & Restore

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ivan_lechev
      Participant

Hi, guys, I’m a proud user of H9 Max, and I have a question that might sound stupid: In the manual there is a very clear explanation about how to dump all presets and system settings alltogether to a, say, DAW or a computer or a sequencer, etc. However, there is no explanation on how to load that dump back  to the device when needed. As I’m using the device on several completely different projects, I badly need to know how this happens.

Thanks in advance,

Best regarda,

Ivan 

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      ivan_lechev wrote:

Hi, guys, I'm a proud user of H9 Max, and I have a question that might sound stupid: In the manual there is a very clear explanation about how to dump all presets and system settings alltogether to a, say, DAW or a computer or a sequencer, etc. However, there is no explanation on how to load that dump back to the device when needed. As I'm using the device on several completely different projects, I badly need to know how this happens.

Thanks in advance,

Best regarda,

Ivan

Well, if you just need to manage/export/import preset lists. You can do that in H9 Control.

If you want to restore system setting via MIDI’s SysEx facility, the manual says about it on page 28: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/H9-UserGuide.pdf

ivan_lechev
      Participant

Sorry, maybe I didn’t explain my problem clearly. The manual on page 28 explains just how to change the Sysex ID, nothing more. My point is, I’m using the H9 as a main “brain” for my system, and I have created a MIDI program change send map, which unfortunately is not saved on preset basis. As I see it, the only way to save this map and create other maps for diverse situations is via Sysex dump. I have successfully dumped the Sysex onto a track in Logic Pro X, and I can see it in the event list. My question remains: how am I supposed to make the H9 load this saved dump? The H9 is connected to a MacBook Pro via USB. Thanks for your patience, best regards,
      Ivan

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If you just send the dump back to the H9, it should load it. 

Note that there is a small element of risk in using these dumps – if the data was corrupted either in transit or by the computer, you might end up overwriting the pedal with bad data and losing its presets. These dumps are best used as emergency backups, rather than regular transfers. You should consider using H9control instead.

ivan_lechev
      Participant

Hello,

First off, the H9 doesn’t load anything when I play the Sysex track in Logic. I should probably do something else to prompt the load? Secondly, I found a function in H9 control for Mac that is intended to capture the system settings. Unfortunatlely, every time I try to do this capture, the H9 control says “the device doesn’t respond”. It IS connected to a Macbook Pro via USB. Should I activate anything on the device to make this happen? Third, you guys keep on giving me the advice to use the H9 control for the job I previously explained, and the H9 control, be it for Mac or for iOs, simply doesn’t provide ANY option to save an program change transmit map. Or, am I missing something? It seems to me that for the three major live projects I’m involved in, I should purchase three separate H9’s, or a dedicated MIDI switcher, whichever option is cheaper…

Best,

Ivan

camn
      Participant

I think a dedicated MIDI controller really expands the H9’s functionality, and if you have multiple MIDI devices and a complex setup it is ~really~ worth it. 

Although the H9 *can* do a lot with PC maps, etc, it sounds like you are pretty close to the edge of it’s intended functionality 🙂

ivan_lechev
      Participant

Hi, guys,
      Thank you all for responsiveness and patience. You guys are just great! I finally figured out that what I wanted to do with my H9 is beyond it’s limits. I’ve just ordered a Source Audio Soleman MIDI system controller, looks fine for my needs. I just wanted to control a Positive Grid Bias Head with it, and it works perfectly, but for just one project at a time. Never mind, keep on creating your magnificent machines, their sound is incomparable!
      Best regards,
      Ivan

jfgallant

I realize that this is an old thread, but I landed here because I was looking for an explanation to a different problem. At the risk of stating the obvious, I just thought I’d summarize for novice MIDI users who have trouble with SysEx transfers.

Other than H9 Control, you can use a SysEx librarian software on your computer to capture and restore settings from your pedal:

– check the System ID of the pedal (per manual page 28). In case this is not clear, this number allows you to daisy-chain multiple pedals on the same MIDI output from your computer. Each pedal should have a different ID, and this ID is encoded in the SysEx messages. Upon restoring settings, only the pedal that has the same ID as in the messages will reload the settings;

– to capture the settings/presets from your pedal onto your computer, put your SysEx librarian in capture mode (however that’s done with whatever software you are using) and then dump the settings from the pedal (instructions in manual);

– to restore, all you have to do is connect and power up the pedal, and then use the SysEx librarian to transmit the messages that you captured before. You don’t need to do anything at the pedal other than make sure it has the same System ID as when you captured the settings/presets. The pedal will reload the settings upon receiving the SysEx messages from your computer.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      ivan_lechev wrote:

First off, the H9 doesn't load anything when I play the Sysex track in Logic. I should probably do something else to prompt the load?

It seems to me that for the three major live projects I'm involved in, I should purchase three separate H9's, or a dedicated MIDI switcher, whichever option is cheaper…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/H9-UserGuide.pdf

The manual says that "The H9 must be set to the desired SysEx ID number" in the "Restoring Presets and System Setting" section. Did you do that before sending the sysex track? The H9 Control also has a feature of "Import presets or preset lists" in the settings page, where you can import a sysEx file. Have you tried that?

Anyway, as camn and yourself suggested, I think the best solution for your purpose would be getting a dedicated MIDI switcher. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.