Eclipse 4.01 – 296 Micropitchshift + 182 Tapdly+Diffchorus = Freeze

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse 4.01 – 296 Micropitchshift + 182 Tapdly+Diffchorus = Freeze

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      belensky

Hello ,  tried to combine 296 Micropitchshift – 182 Tapdly+Diffchorus in to one program with alogirtms in paralell at 48k, and get freezes all the time, nothing helped so I had to  factory reset eclipse. tried everythig else from manual, but only full reset helped me to get eclispe back to work.

When I build program everything seems fine, I can even play and tweak program for 5-10 minutes, but as the sudden as I click Program button eclipse freezes, even tap tempo stopes to blink

After factory reset, I build same program from scrath I got same freeze, and upon restarting even got checksum error.   

Is this program too big? what is the cause of this problem otherwise?

UPDATED, got the same fressze even with 296 Micropitchshift on it’s own, slightly tweaked and saved to 001-003 slot.

belensky

here is other thing I have noticed after yet another freeze. VERY frustrationg. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I've followed your description, and, needless to say, get no problem.

This suggest that either:

1) There is something different about your setup

2) There is something different about your Eclipse.

The only difference in the setup I can think of that might do this would be if you were running digital in with a very unstable clock. If you are running on anything other than "Int 48kHz", set SETUP/CLOCK to this and see if it makes a difference.

The other option is something different in your unit, possibly a hardware fault. I'd like you to run a memory self-test. Hold down the '5' key and power cycle the unit. Release the key AS SOON as you see the "Power On" message. You should see "001 Test All" etc.Turn the knob until you see "004 Test Ram ALL". Then hit the green TAP button.

Let it run for a few hours. You should see "P=xx E=yy T==zz",  where xx is some big number, and yy and zz should be 0. If yy and zz are not zero, this means that you have a hardware problem and should send the unit for service.

belensky

thank you for your reply. i’m runnign test right now. 

regarding my setup. guitar amp fx send>Eclipse>SPDF out 48k> UAD Apollo SPDF in 96.

maybe that can cause a problem , I will try to make same Error on eclipse diconnected from anything. Maybe different SPDIF is cause of trouble here.  

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

E= is errors on the current test, T= is total errors.

Since we are running tests, try "Test All NL"

belensky

so far so good, anything else to test? 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If all the tests pass, I'm not sure what to suggest. Make sure there is no card in the slot.

Keep it powered up in and don't let it get too hot.

If the problem follows a powerdown it would suggest that the battery needs changing.

Otherwise it has to come for service. Or, don't use that preset.

You could try a software update, but that should not be necessary. I assume you've tried a complete re-init (hold down SETUP at power up).

belensky

ok. I let it run for 8 hours maybe a bit less., P went up to 500   E=0, T=0

I think that freeze has noting to do with thouse alrorythms themself, as I again managed to freeze eclipse when I was messing around with rounthg settings.

Interestingly enough I managed to “unfreeze” eclipse by selection other midi program via external midi controller. 

Battery measurments around 2,7 which is ok, from what I understand it has to be replaced once it gets below 2,5

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry you are still having trouble, but as you will understand, it is difficult to diagnose difficult problems remote ly.

Can you confirm the following:

1) You have done the full reset (SETUP held down at powerup, and you get an "are you sure" type message.

2) That the problem still occurs if the unit is kept powered up after reset ?

3) That the problem still occurs if you don't tweak the presets ?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If I understand you, the problem only occurs after you change something – if you just run a factory program things are fine.

This would point to a fault in the data save system, although this would usually give an error message.

So, it has to go for service – nothing we can do from here.

belensky

meaning that I have to ship unit back to USA and you will replace somethign inside? 

belensky

I’m in EU. Is this issue is something I have to fix asap or otherwise  it will get worse? Can I wait?

also this mailfunction what is the reason why it happens? I got unit as second hand, couple weeks ago, and wondering if this problem happend during shipping or seller just didn’t know about problem. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There is no point in running the tests for more than a few hundred times. If you can do this with zero errors, it would appear to be a pass. In particular, flash tests should not be run for very long, as flash has a finite life.

Note that these tests will not spot all possible problems, only the ones they are designed to catch.

Your freeze is probably some memory problem, but could have other causes. It is not possible to diagnose these remotely.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The battery should only be replaced by a competent technician, who will not need instructions.

You should fully re-initialize the unit after changing the battery – it will probably prompt for this.

belensky
      nickrose wrote:

The other option is something different in your unit, possibly a hardware fault. I’d like you to run a memory self-test. Hold down the ‘5’ key and power cycle the unit. Release the key AS SOON as you see the “Power On” message. You should see “001 Test All” etc.Turn the knob until you see “004 Test Ram ALL”. Then hit the green TAP button.

Let it run for a few hours. You should see “P=xx E=yy T==zz”,  where xx is some big number, and yy and zz should be 0. If yy and zz are not zero, this means that you have a hardware problem and should send the unit for service.

hello, Yeterday I let Eclipse run ram test for good couple hours P went up to 1230 then I aborted test, results are E=0, T=0,  from what i undeerstood P is on nubmer of testing periods, meanign that each P is another repat of the same test, E – errors, T – ?? System Threats?

Is there any other test i should run?

belensky
      nickrose wrote:

E= is errors on the current test, T= is total errors.

Since we are running tests, try “Test All NL”

Alright, how many P I should let Eclipse go up for? 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      belensky wrote:

Let it run overnight, or all weekend if you are so inclined.

belensky
      nickrose wrote:

Sorry you are still having trouble, but as you will understand, it is difficult to diagnose difficult problems remote ly.

Can you confirm the following:

1) You have done the full reset (SETUP held down at powerup, and you get an “are you sure” type message.

2) That the problem still occurs if the unit is kept powered up after reset ?

3) That the problem still occurs if you don’t tweak the presets ?

1. I made reset to factory settings, ram reset, and then full reset by pressing 8 on startup. and even re-update eclipse via card to 4.01f. 

2. yes, it still occurs 

3. problem hapened when tweaked preset that contaitns two algorithms, next time same issue occured when I had preset that contained two algorithms and switched to x-fade routing. but when i swithced to other program via external midi everything were fine again.  

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      belensky wrote:

meaning that I have to ship unit back to USA and you will replace somethign inside? 

Depends on where you are. Most of our main European dealers have service facilities.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      belensky wrote:

I'm in EU. Is this issue is something I have to fix asap or otherwise  it will get worse? Can I wait?

also this mailfunction what is the reason why it happens? I got unit as second hand, couple weeks ago, and wondering if this problem happend during shipping or seller just didn't know about problem. 

Unfortunately, since I don't know what the problem is, it is hard to say if it will get worse. You may wish to wait until (if) it does.

Again, don't know what the cause is so can't answer. If you've just bought it I would return it and save yourself trouble. Unfortunately, some sellers sell a unit because it has a problem and they don't wish to be bothered by it.

openmusic
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

belensky wrote:

Let it run overnight, or all weekend if you are so inclined.

I tried very hard (no luck) to find out the total number of tests the Eclipse runs. Mine has reached 20,775 after approx. ten days and is still going on.

Is there any specific info about the combination: power on + numeric pad. For instance, the current test my Eclipse is running (004 Test Ram ALL) is not mentioned in the UM. Only by chance I stumbled upon this thread and found your description of the internal testing process.

By the way, I bought a second hand unit (v 2.0) and upgraded it in two steps: v.2 to 3.5.1 to 4.01. Everything seemed to be working OK but – erratically – the unit would freeze, etc. etc. To cut the long story short, and after reading some hundred threads, I thought it wise to run the entire RAM test before sending the Eclipse to America.

The German service does not seem to be the right option either:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/eventide-germany-soundservicede-wtf-no-service-all

My final questions:

Is it necessary/useful to run the entire RAM test?

Will it stop when reaching 99,999 or is there x,xxx,xxx?

Thank you very much

openmusic
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

There is no point in running the tests for more than a few hundred times. If you can do this with zero errors, it would appear to be a pass. In particular, flash tests should not be run for very long, as flash has a finite life.

Note that these tests will not spot all possible problems, only the ones they are designed to catch.

Your freeze is probably some memory problem, but could have other causes. It is not possible to diagnose these remotely.

I am attaching a photo of the serial number; I guess that my “new” Eclipse is quite old, so the battery might need replacement but could not find instructions on how to do it.

Thanks!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.