Effects diseappearing non linearly with 2 different midi controllers on the H8000fw v5.5

Home Forums Products Rackmount Effects diseappearing non linearly with 2 different midi controllers on the H8000fw v5.5

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      E.M Pulinx

Hi Nick !

On April 26/04 , I wrote "  remote controlling any effect on the H8000 fw ( v 5.5) with a Roland FC200,when I'm going with the pedal  from down (full effect) to up (no effect),the effect tend to diseappear  non -lineary :it  stops rather abruptly ,not smoothly  .I don't experiment that phenomenon on my Eclipses :any effect tend to stop rather smoothly

You answered that  this could  be a function of the pedal – a pedal mainly used for volume control will probably have a logarithmic characteristic.

As my  Behringer  controller worked fine with Eclipse,  you suggested  to try  it with the H8000 to see if this is the difference.

There is no difference :As well as the Roland FC200,I cannot obtain with the Behringer a linear response on the H8000 fw ;on the contrary,with the Eclipse , I 'm obtaining a linear response with both pedals ?

sebastiank
      Participant

I think this is related to what I have experienced:

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/7268.aspx

The H8000 MIDI handling seems pretty old and not up to the task. I'm sure that a firmware update would fix it as it fixed the same issue I had in my TimeFactor. I no longer bother trying to use MIDI with my H8000, just EVE or a traditional expression pedal. 

Would be great if they paid more attention to the Harmonizer side of things!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It would be helpful if you would define in detail the problems you have encountered.

Otherwise, generic statements like "pretty old and not up to the task" are not very helpful to anyone, and are unlikely to lead to the improvements you presumably seek.

sebastiank
      Participant

Hi Nick, thanks for replying

I have a pretty long email chain I can share with you from the support team at Eventide, the post I referenced detailed it pretty well and corroborated that I am not alone in my experience. When I try and do any automation from MIDI from a number of standard MIDI devices the unit does not react quickly, there are delays and jumps in response to a smoothly increased foot pedal for example. I proved that it was not the setup since a computer monitoring MIDI events after it in the MIDI chain responded quicker than the Harmonizer did.

Cheers

Seb

E.M Pulinx

I am not a midi wizard as you two  guys; but I forgot to say that  a friend came  2 weeks ago with a splendid Rocktron all access : It didn't not help !

That's why I decided to rewrite to Nick : there is certainly a problem with the midi command in the H8000fw …Sad

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry you are unhappy.

The Eclipse is more designed for performance use, rather than for sophisticated effects and programmability. It only has a single processor, rather than the four in the H8000FW. As a result, the internal communications are more direct, and the MIDI response is faster. This is probably the main advantage it has over the H8000, which is otherwise better than the Eclipse in almost all respects, as its higher cost would suggest.

It's horses for courses, I'm afraid. We can try and improve the H8000's MIDI response in the future, but it is largely a "feature" of the architecture. The response speed is partly related to the program size.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.