EHX 8 Step Program with H9?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes EHX 8 Step Program with H9?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Uli
      Participant

Sorry, if that question has been asked before.

I know the other Eventide pedals work with the 8 Step, but does the H9, too?

Thanks and cheers,

Uli

brock
      Participant

Yes.  I can't think of a better match as an accessory.  In fact, I consider the combination to be a SuperH9.  Because the 8 Step output is expression pedal-based, the only limit is your imagination (controlling the H9, or any other hardware with EXP PED input).  And because the 8 Step input is MIDI-based, you can control, adjust, sync, etc. with the rest of your system.  Tight integration.

Remember to set the Depth to 5 for Eventide pedals. I run an expression pedal 'through' the 8 Step, for foot-controlled or automated options at the same time.  Any setup is extremely easy now using the H9 Control app.   [NOTE:  Don't try to program your expression pedal settings while the 8 Step is running in Play mode!].  I can't begin to detail all of the control options that you have on the 8 Step end.

Just read over the manual for each type of operation (Glide, Direction, Sequence Length, Rate, etc.).  After a few run-throughs, it'll all become second-nature.  You can probably start with most any H9 factory preset, and see how it reacts under 8 Step control.  Multiple parameters locked to the expression pedal is like morphing among several presets at a time.

Uli
      Participant

hey Brock,

thanks for you elaborate answer – I've got an 8step on order Smile

aggiemike08

I have wondering about the EHX 8 step for awhile now.  Then that got me to thinking… "is there anything elese out there that would work…like a 16 step?"

Anyone try the Arturia Beat Step?  It has a 16 step sequencer and I think it has CV output but I'm not sure if it is a USB connection.

aggiemike08

Brock…

Do you have any demonstration videos of this integration and some of the possibilities?

brock
      Participant

No, no videos.  I've thought about it – split screen – but I'd like to do that one up right.  Audio to DAW, tripod mounts, no doodling – appropriate phrasing for each preset combination …  I've considered writing something up about the integration & possibilities, but that would turn into a short novel.

I'd be happy to start with the basic initial setup, or any specific questions about the 'Factor / H9 + EHX 8 Step Program.

brock
      Participant

aggiemike08:

I have wondering about the EHX 8 step for awhile now.  Then that got me to thinking… "is there anything elese out there that would work…like a 16 step?"

Anyone try the Arturia Beat Step?  It has a 16 step sequencer and I think it has CV output but I'm not sure if it is a USB connection.

I missed this post.  I'm not familiar with the Arturia, but I've tried or researched many sequencers.  Most modern ones are geared toward note output.  There's a way to convert that to MIDI CC (more hardware).  Some will output MIDI CC, but are very expensive.

Those with CV output … well, you have to be careful with the DC range.  You probably won't "hurt" your stompbox, but you'll lose range and resolution with higher CV ranges.  Eventides like 0-3 VDC.  Again, there are a few ways around that, but it gets more complicated (more hardware or DIY).

I've used DAW sequencers, but then you need to lug around a laptop.  I really like the 32-step sequencer in my AKAI MAX49.  Great at home; won't quite fit the pedalboard.  But there are a couple of ways to make the EHX 8 Step behave like a sequencer with more than 8 steps.  I use MIDI for this, but you can do much of the same using the 8 Step Program Foot Controller.

Over MIDI, you can use Program Change 0-99 to load one of 100 presets.  You can also use MIDI CC118 to Load Preset, with a value of 0-99 specifying the preset number.  With the Footswitch Controller, you can step up or down through the preset numbers.

The key EHX 8 Step feature here is Preset Cue.  Whatever method you use, it "waits" for the current preset to run through its eight steps, then instantly runs through the next preset's eight steps.  Seamlessly.  So, you can tap the Up switch, then tap the Down switch alternately (for example).  Preset 1 (8 steps) + Preset 2 (8 steps) = 16 step sequencing.  Four presets can form 32-step sequencing.  Switch timing isn't too critical, because Preset Cue pre-loads the next sequence.

For that matter, you can virtually change each slider position over MIDI.  Effectively, you're "loading" another preset by changing the sliders dynamically.  The same goes for Rate, Glide setting, Direction … See what I mean?  A crazy amount of control and configuration.

st.bede
      Participant

I am not 100% sure but either the beatstep cant send or record CCs. I crossed the beatstep off my list but I can not remember why. The Faderfoc SC4 looks very promising. However it is monophonic note wise (only one track can send notes, there is a second track that can send an octave of thoses notes) but either 7 or 8 tracks can be dedicated to CCs. It is not very large but is a bit expensive.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.