Eurorack User Feature Requests

Home Forums Products Eurorack Modules Eurorack User Feature Requests

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jonbenderr
      Participant

As a eurorack user, here are some things I would like to see:

-Individual/independent sequences out of each of the CV outputs with targeted cv controls of each via the CV inputs.  Perhaps even separate clock divisions per sequence.

-Ability to repeat notes/intervals and record sequences of up to at least 16 steps, regardless of how many notes are in the scale.

-PLEASE do not interrupt sequence playback when entering the setup menu.

I think these things here could make the module an incredible work horse of a sequencer in the eurorack world. The way it is right now, I almost feel like the CV and modulation possibilities were almost an afterthought and last minute attempt to cash in on eurorack users.  Or at the very least it was developed by individuals without much experience with eurorack. 28hp for a single sequence with such limitations? For 600$?

As of right now I am on the fence if I should even keep it.  I’ve been burned in the past with promises of firmware updates only for things to be completely forgotten about and abandoned.  Even if the firmware update arrives, will it be done well?  Of course nothing can be said about it right? “We can’t talk about these things publicly.” I just have to sit here and roll the dice and let my return window expire, right?

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

Hello –

Thanks for your thoughts.

At the risk of saying what you imagined we would say, the first two items you mention are already on our list for possible future implementation, but it’s not possible to say exactly when they would be available.

I agree it would be nice not to stop the sequence when going into the setup menu, but I don’t know if it is possible. We’ve put most of the features we felt were critical to access ‘live’ during a sequence into one of the 4 menus you get when you press the shift keys. Is there some setting in particular that you find yourself wanting to change in the setup menu when a sequence is already playing?

Also – is there something in particular you are trying to do with CV’s that you are not able to? The CV In menu in particular is quite comprehensive – if something isn’t clear, maybe I can help you sort it out?

Thanks

Leon

jonbenderr
      Participant

Thank you for the thoughtful response. Apologies as well. Reading back my own post it does appear a bit snarky.

The biggest problem with the nature of CV settings and the setup menu interruption is that in eurorack, there is always a very experimental nature to patching. Not knowing how something is going to respond is part of the adventure, but having to traverse menus and submenus and then back out of all of that just to get a result…it’s actually kind of cumbersome.

I almost wonder if it’s not over complicated in it’s comprehensiveness.

I do believe that multiple sequences out from the outputs could really make this thing great.

Default settings could be very straight forward and simple.

Each CV out outputs a different sequence.

Each trigger out send a trigger at each step.

CV in for each channel could be a voltage control for interval.

Triggers in could just be triggers to independently trigger and step through a sequence.

Also, should consider a 0-1v CV range. Maybe also, voltage range setting could be in a shift menu somewhere.

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

Thanks

Well, probably you know this already, but of the things you mentioned just now, one is already possible (aside from the fact that you are currently limited to one sequence).  That is, with the default settings in the CV In menu  you can ‘play’ Misha by means of incoming gate/CV’s to, say, the X inputs. That is to say, when a gate comes into X in, Misha looks to the CV In X value, which is divided into 11 regions and triggers an interval -5 -> +5 depending on what range the voltage falls in.

If you’ve changed those settings from the default, the relevant ones would be as follows:

– Linking: Linked (Gate, CV)
      – Trigger Function: Interval Keys

Anyway, you could also try out some CV mapping options that could be good for exploring and not be predictable, like triggering random notes or adding sharps/flats to the scale, etc.

But I get your point about wanting to freely experiment with settings while a sequence is running – there are some setup items which wouldn’t make sense to change while a sequence is playing, but in cases where it’s possible to do that, we can look into making those ‘live’ as well.

We are also hoping to streamline the CV In interface in future –  I agree it can be a bit overwhelming at first.

Thanks

Leon

jonbenderr
      Participant

Yes, I have actually played with the module for many hours now and also have reviewed the manual extensively.

I was just referencing a sort of default mode of operation for CV/trigger in/out.

I’m really disappointed right now unfortunately.

I was just looking at the XOR Nerd-seq module. Has a nice big display, six channels/sequences of CV/trig/modulation. It’s also the same price point.

I do take a big part of the responsibility as I made a lot of assumptions when purchasing and didn’t dive into the manual enough until purchase.

I’m just really fearful that this is not a priority for Eventide.

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

I understand. Well, let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Thanks

Leon

DeaconBlues
      Participant

I’d like to put in an additional vote for Jon’s Eurorack requests from six months ago.

Specifically:

-Individual/independent sequences out of each of the CV outputs with targeted cv controls of each via the CV inputs.  Perhaps even separate clock divisions per sequence.

-Ability to repeat notes/intervals and record sequences of up to at least 16 steps, regardless of how many notes are in the scale.

Is there any progress that can be shared? Would be really nice to see any forward motion with the Misha.

Thanks

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Hello –

FYI there will be a firmware update coming out very soon, mainly addressing MIDI sync and enhanced audio output options.

The ideas you mention are all good, and are on our list. Unfortunately they aren’t addressed in this coming update, and I can’t provide a timetable for when we might see them.

As far as getting a 16 note pattern going, one way to do it is to pick a scale with 16 notes or more, such as the 20 note equal tempered scale, press record, play in 16 notes and then press play. And then if you want a different scale, once it’s playing back you can switch, say, to the major scale.  You could also create your own scala file with 16 notes of your choice and use that as your scale, and then you wouldn’t need to press play. Let me know if you want help with that.

I realize these methods may not always suit your purposes, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of them.

Thanks

Leon

DeaconBlues
        Participant

Thanks for the reply / info.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.