Eventide announces the H9 Stompbox at NAMM !!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Eventide announces the H9 Stompbox at NAMM !!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 65 reply threads
  • Author
      nickrose
      Eventide Staff

All You Need
      is 9

H9 Harmonizer

Tomorrow, Eventide unveils its newest addition to their
      stompbox line, the H9 Harmonizer®. The H9 delivers Eventide's acclaimed sound
      and can run all of Eventide's stompbox effects. It features a simple, one-knob
      user interface and also connects wirelessly via Bluetooth to iPods, iPhones and
      iPads for creating and managing presets, live control and in-app algorithm
      purchases.

"The H9 is designed to pack all that you need by way of delay,
      modulation, pitch, and reverb effects, along with a fast, accurate tuner, in a
      small footprint. We've also created a feature-rich remote control app, H9
      Control, for controlling the H9 from an iPhone or iPad, wirelessly via
      Bluetooth," said Ray Maxwell, Eventide's VP of Sales and Marketing. "As always,
      our prime directive is to deliver the Eventide sound that our users have come to
      rely on. Never before has that sound been packed into such a small package," he
      added.

The H9 comes bundled with a set of the most popular algorithms
      taken from Eventide's stompboxes: Liquid Chorus, Organic Chorus, Shimmer Chorus,
      Classic Chorus, Phase XO Chorus, Bias Tremolo, and Opto Tremolo from ModFactor;
      H910, H949, and Crystals™ from PitchFactor; Tape Echo and Vintage Delay from
      TimeFactor; and Hall and Shimmer from Space. The standard bundle also includes
      the first in a series of new H9-specific algorithms, UltraTap Delay™.

All of Eventide's stompbox algorithms and their associated
      presets are available for in-app purchase. For a limited time, a coupon for one
      free algorithm will be offered upon registering the product.

While the H9 is fully controllable via its front panel, a free
      iOS app, H9 Control, can be downloaded to your iPhone or iPad for live editing,
      creating and managing presets and changing system settings wirelessly via
      Bluetooth.

The H9 features stereo audio I/O, MIDI I/O and Expression Pedal
      and Auxiliary Switch inputs.

H9 will be available in March of 2013 through authorized
      Eventide stompbox dealers.

For more
      information go to:
      http://bit.ly/H9Product

9 is All You Need

Please stop by our booth to see
      and hear the H9 – NAMM booth 5791 Hall B and MacWorld booth 325. Hope to see
      you there!

Awesome! What's the recommended retail price going to be?

coirbidh_99
      Participant

Fantastic!  Almost a sure thing for me, though price will determine how quickly.  A couple of requests:

Please include the Repeat Hold and Freeze/Infinite functions on the TimeFactor and Space algorithms.

PLEASE make the iOS app compatible with first-generation iPads!  I'm really not in a position to upgrade right now, and I can't see why this particular application would need so much computing power that you couldn't make it work with the older devices.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Our current plan is to support any IOS device with IOS5 and Bluetooth, so you may need to update the OS, but that will not break the bank. In fact, I think it is free.

The Repeat Hold and Freeze/Infinite should work, but you will need an external foot switch, as the H9 does not have the middle one.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

Perfect, Nick – thanks!  All I need now is a street price, which I assume we'll get this weekend?

madeski
      Participant

Can it run more than one effect at a time?

Styrioci

is there going to be some kind of preset editor for non-apple users?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

styrioci:

is there going to be some kind of preset editor for non-apple users?

It will be for apple only at first, but we'll look at the other options later on depending on demand.

Quote:
      Can it run more than one effect at a time?

Just the one – sorry. But it's small, so you could put two side by side.

Styrioci

nickrose:

It will be for apple only at first, but we'll look at the other options later on depending on demand.

yes, please! I'm pretty sure I won't be first, nor last in the row. sign me in!

clibbon

We all want to know how much cash we are going to have fork over to get this thing.

wilkinsi
      Participant

I suspected only 1 effect at once would be possible. And the need for an Ipad or similar in order to edit puts me off too.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

The H9 page on Eventide's site says: "H9 Control will also be available for your PC or Mac via USB."

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

IOS devices first, other things later. But, it's cute !!

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hey Nick,

will there be an option to build your own algorithms?

Like a vsig lite?

cheers

Martin

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Probably not, because they are quite difficult. The 2U rack units can do this and have less limitations.

But, never say never ..

coirbidh_99
      Participant

Should we expect to see new H9-exclusive algorithms with any frequency?

Also: is the external footswitch the same user-programmable TRS setup as the Factor pedals?

And also: MSRP?  C'mon, man, we'd dying over here….

MarcoR
      Participant

Now that editor software has been developed for the H9 that mimics the factor pedals, can we expect a new editor for the factors and Space?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

nickrose:

Probably not, because they are quite difficult. The 2U rack units can do this and have less limitations.

But, never say never ..

Ok, thanks for the info and understand.

tamburash007

This!

Only 1 effect at a time is a big fail to me:(

This pedal, all factors in one, in a pedal form like the factors with all the buttons would be a huge succes…

This is just a gimmick, like the M5, usable, but as a backup effect pedal. I need a full-optin pedal to replace all the delay/reverb/mod and so on effects…

But if the price is similar to M9 it would be ok (when you release the PC support nad for us android users)

coirbidh_99
      Participant

I have an M5, and I'd hardly call it a "gimmick" – it's extremely useful for providing access to a wide range of different effects that I only need occasionally without eating up several pedals' worth of space on my board.  I'm not keeping a whammy and an additional delay and a bunch of modulations sitting around on the off chance that *maybe* I'll need to use them.

Expecting more than one effect at a time with algorithms this complex is absurd.  How much processing power do you think an effect like Crystals or Blackhole requires?  For multiple effects, you'd need multiple processors, and a significantly more complex interface, which nixes your advantage both in terms of price and device size.  The Factor pedals and other digital processors from other companies seem to be selling just fine at this price point with only one effect at a time, so apparently that's not a concern for a significant group of musicians.

Styrioci

this could be a good addition for people who has one factor pedal which they use as main FX unit and don't want to buy other factor pedals becuse of using just one or two effects from each. so H9 could be good option how to not buy what you don't need and buy only what you need.

but I agree that all of the controls and connectivity of factor pedals with switching effects from all factor pedals would be genius product. – possible FW update for existing factor pedals? I believe the HW is the same and it's just question of SW for pedals. Or some kind of optional FW update for money with H9 features? 

For now I'd rather stay with my timefactor and Blackhole VST (I run pedal + computer based rig) and consider H9 in the future after seeing full specs. I don't see line/amp switches for I/O, there is shared input for aux switch and exp predal? or it's on the other side?  if not than selling TF and buying H9 instead of it is definitely no-go route for me. so H9 series algorithms have to be superb mindblowing (I know it's not that hard with eventide, but…) to push me buy one. iOS H9 controll is not deal braker for me if there is also PC version of it as H9 web site states.

flocked

Are all the effect parameters accessible via midi? If yes, is it possible to get the new parameter values via midi, if you switch a preset? Or is it anyhow possible to get the current parameter values via midi?

brock
      Participant

First of all, my initial assessment is about the same as Vernon Reid's on the video.

I'm surprised that no one has asked how many algorithms can reside in the hardware at one time.  I guess it depends on what you consider a single algorithm.  I also wonder about the load times via MIDI PC or footswitch on the hardware end (not the remote programmer).

It's a slightly bigger box that I initially thought (gleaned from the video).  I'd also like to see a 360-degree view at some point.  Hard to tell if there are MIDI DIN jacks, or just USB.  And if we're counting, put me down for Android support.  I suppose that's not something you're going to push too much before it's shown at the MacWorld booth.

There's just so much that we're going to find out at the "leak" stage.  I'm sure that the price points will pop out this weekend at NAMM, or shortly thereafter.  If not, I have a good friend working the floor this weekend for a large software developer.  We'll put him on the case …  You've got to think that it will be in the range of the other stompboxes; even with the savings on hardware.  Look at what it does.

And I would guess that the pay-algos would vary in price.  The signature algorithms [Diatonic; BlackHole] cost more in R&D than – for example – a simple delay line.  What I'd really like to find out is how deep the parameter control goes.  From the video glimpse of the iPad, it looks like it's laid out much like the parent Stompbox itself.  I'd be happy with that, but I would really like to see a few of the internal preset values get opened up.

rryyuu
      Participant

Could you tell the size/dimension?

Thanks

NikosGuitar

if you gave us the possibility to run two algorithms at the same time with the routing matrix that the Eclipse have(series,parallel,dual,dual mono)

i will pay for each pedal algorithms  20€

…and i will buy them ALL!!!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

brock:

I'm surprised that no one has asked how many algorithms can reside in the hardware at one time. 

Sorry, just the one. It would get (even more) expensive if we doubled the processing. But, our algs are good !!

brock:

Hard to tell if there are MIDI DIN jacks, or just USB

Both. But, MIDI over Bluetooth is more interesting. Early days ..

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

coirbidh_99:

is the external footswitch the same user-programmable TRS setup as the Factor pedals?

It can be, or also an expression pedal.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

Nick, I think the question was more "how many algorithms can you have loaded and accessible in the device at one time?"  If you have 100 presets, can those theoretically all be different algorithms?  Or can you only load 10 at a time, like the Factor pedals?  If you're linked to an iOS device, then apparently you could load new algorithms on the fly, but I'm sure not everyone will use the pedal that way.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

nickrose:

……But, MIDI over Bluetooth is more interesting. Early days .

Really interested in this technology, pedals syncing between them… Finally MIDI coming into the 21st century 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – my misunderstanding. The number of active algs possible is essentially limited by the storage space, but certainly 50, probably more, depending on their size.

Styrioci

so why H9? Smile

Styrioci

I mean why name H9?

how often and how many H9 algorithms will be released?

if there is shared AUX SW and EXP PDL input will it be possible to switch between them using AB box?

when we'll see full specs and some king of documentation?

sorry, lot of question but I'm excited about it want to know about H9 as much and as soon as possible 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

styrioci:

I mean why name H9?

Why not ?

styrioci:

how often and how many H9 algorithms will be released?

Can't say at this time. Depends partly on demand.

styrioci:

when we'll see full specs and some king of documentation?

Probably next month.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

styrioci:

if there is shared AUX SW and EXP PDL input will it be possible to switch between them using AB box?

There is a single jack – it can be used as expression, or 3*AUX, or a combination of pedal and 1*AUX, depending on how the unit is set up and how the cable is wired.

Steve

Hi

Does it have a longer delay time especially for using the looping algo?

Styrioci

Are there going to be preset naming and output level features like factor pedals have?

CrzHrs

NikosGuitar:

if you gave us the possibility to run two algorithms at the same time with the routing matrix that the Eclipse have(series,parallel,dual,dual mono)

you will need a masotti control unit and two H9 for that.

Well done eventide, you always hit the mark. I sold my eclipse and i miss it everyday.This pedal is gonna expand day by day.

Two things:

– presets are pedal-bound or user-bound? (if i buy blackhole, for example, can i run it in all the h9 units i buy?

– Dont be shy with memory. i think is better to spend 30$ extra than be cornered (anyway it will never happen). Eventide is not meant to be cheap but state-of-art

90% i am gonna get 3 of these, axefx doesnt fit to me

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Presets are tied to the user, so if you have multiple pedals, you'll only have to buy presets (algorithms) once.

Memory is a problem – it is significantly expensive to expand the delay memory, probably $100's, rather than $30, so we don't think many people would want this. The memory has to be much higher performance than regular computer memory, so the costs are not comparable..

Ans sorry guys, two algs simultaneously requires twice the hardware which means two pedals. Our algorithms are BIG (which is why they sound so good) – you could run multiple weedy ones, but who would want to ?

CrzHrs

No worries then.. i am watching all youtube footage i can find

I will be real happy to play with those "toys" 🙂

Remember to make clear the buy conditions, if store presets are "pedal-related" or "user related". That's important 🙂

Which brings us all back to the burning question – how much will it cost?

matcaster
      Participant

The MIDI in& outs are on the side i thinks. Wouldn't it be better on the rear ? If you buy 2 of them (i will !), it would save some real estate on my pedalboard.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

They would indeed, but the rear is already full (jacks, power, etc).

AK74

Hi, i just sold my AxeFx. after the H9 announcement. its the right form factor, looks simpler to use. would love to find more info about how to add external expression pedal and foot switches though. when is the manual to be made available?

jonathanferrier
      Participant

Hello,

1. is it possible to run an H9 next to a factor stompbox, connect them by midi, connect a 3 button aux switch and expression pedal to the master factor pedal, to allow for combination sound effect switching across two or more devices, and simultaneous expression pedal across two or more devices from the master factor pedal?

2. Do you have a price range for algorithms $-$$$?

3. Can you post the manual Please?

thank you 🙂 Jon

Dazed

rryyuu:

Could you tell the size/dimension?

Thanks

Bump for exact dimensions, looks like approx 5,5" by 5,5" ?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I measured mine (don't be jealous) – it's 4.75W x 5.375L x 2.0H (approx, largest dimensions, not counting switches).

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

And what about the H9?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Ho ho ho. Probably bigger.

Any details on current draw? Also will we get to see rough algorithm costs early march?

willem

aphidinvasion:

Any details on current draw? Also will we get to see rough algorithm costs early march?

There are a lot of things that we still don't know about a piece of gear that is supposed to out in less than a month.

I want it but I still need/want to know the price (it seems that Eventide don't want to answer this question)

Who will be the first to have this? only american retailers or europe too? I will ask to the french distributor if he already has more information.

Im australian, but ill be ordering it any way i can, also ud hope they are doing a few bits of bug testing because to be keeping it so hush hush and having no preorder doesnt really make sense. If i could find out those last two question i would gladly fork over the cash.

willem59

I saw on different uk retailers this preorder price: 519£. That means about 600€ or 800$ if euros doesn't mean anything for you.

is this a joke??

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – you're just going to have to be patient ..

no worries,

also i ment to say "i'd think they are doing a few bits of bug testing because keeping it so hush hush without preorder options doesnt make to much sense"

typo in previous post

Nerve
      Participant

anywhere to pre order?

Styrioci

I've already sold my Timefactor  and I want to replace it with H9, but we need:

"More Input. More Input."

kdavies

Is there a confirmed or even a good guesstimate for shipping date?

AK74

Guess its now out in April. 

jgbarclay
      Participant

Forgive me if this has been covered, but is it possible to use this one Exp pedal input to use both an expression pedal and Aux switch (TRS) simultaneously? I have a useful three way switch with expression knob attached for my Timefactor right now that I'd love to be able to also use with the H9.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There is only a single TRS input. It can be used as an expression pedal and a single AUX switch if the pedal is connected between T and S, and the switch is between R and S. So it will give some but not all of the TF functionality.

AK74

end of May now? come on guys.

doniw

I'm planning to order from Amazon. Does anybody knows the dimensions (exact) of H9?

Is there any manual for this to download? Any support information?

Styrioci

seeing pictures of H9, especially tuner, it seems to be stroboscopic tuner, will be LEDs around big knob used as LED stroboscopic display? (similar to turbo tuner strobo stomp st200) ?

gkellum
      Participant

Yes, the LEDs around the big knob light up to indicate how flat or sharp you are as do the five mode switches above the big knob.

Styrioci

another question regarding tuner – accuracy? functions? (I know stupid question, H9 is about other things, but I'm considering different scenarios, possibly selling my strobo stomp if H9 is capable fully replacing it…)

gkellum
      Participant

Well, the tuner is accurate to within a cent.  You can change what frequency middle A is assigned to if you don't want to tune to 440Hz, and you can configure it to mute the audio signal when tuning or to pass it through. The tuner can be launched on the stompbox itself by pressing the left and right footswitches, but it can also be assigned to an aux switch or launched from the app.

Viewing 65 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.