Eventide Device Manager: not finding connected MISHA(s)

Home Forums Products Eurorack Modules Eventide Device Manager: not finding connected MISHA(s)

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      scobot1
      Participant

Hello, I have two MISHAs.

Neither is being “seen/found” by Eventide Device Manager (V1.9.2).

Last month, I was able to update the firmware on one of the MISHAs (to V1.00.04) by following the instructions and using the provided USB cable, and using Eventide Device Manager.

I purchased a second MISHA (I love MISHA!) – its current firmware is V1.00.00. Following the instructions for updating the firmware, using all the same cables and computer (MAC), the Eventide Device Manager does not find the connected MISHA (it is in standby mode – User1 and User2 lights are lit).

I checked the connection/troubleshooting using the “updated” MISHA, and the Eventide Device Manager did not see/find that one either. I have tried this whole procedure on a PC as well – the same results.

Is there anything else I can try? Is there a new version of the Eventide Device Manager? Is there a way to just load the firmware onto the SD card and update it that way?

Thank you for your help. Just trying to update the firmware. Nothing fancy 🙂

scobot1
      Participant

Additional info: yes I have tried different USB cables.

Question: does the EDM connect to a server somewhere…is it possible there is an issue with the software/host/server that is not indicated while using the software? Just grasping at straws here. The only thing I can think of is if something was “down” on Eventide’s end and the EDM needed to “ping” (communicate with) that and it was unable to…would that keep the EDM from “working” at finding the connected MISHA(s). I can try again tomorrow if that is the case.

Thanks.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Just to confirm, you are powering Misha while holding User 1 and the left Shift button to get into update mode?

Are you using any sort of USB hub to connect to your computer?

Can you try factory resetting one of your Mishas and try the connection again? You can factory reset the unit by holding Key and Scale while you power it on.

EDM connects to a server to retrieve the software to download, but this should not affect your connection to Misha.

Let me know what happens.

scobot1
      Participant

Hello, thanks for the reply.

1) Yes, holding User1 and left shift button, User1 and User2 LEDs are lit.

2) No USB hub. Have tried different inputs on both MAC and PC

3) Did a factory reset on the V1.00.00 MISHA. EDM did not find a connected device.

The curious thing is, at some point (last month), the process did work just fine for the one unit that I was able to update to the V1.00.04 firmware. So it’s as if the software is no longer working. Could that be? I downloaded the latest version. Is there a way to test the software? Is there an “old” version of the EDM you could send me to try? Might be a bug in this version? Or any way to load firmware via SD card?

The MISHA is receiving power from the computer USB port (stays on if I turn off the modular case while still connected to the computer) – so somehow power is coming over the USB cable at least indicating that it is connected to the USB. I don’t know if the MISHA is seen as a USB device over USB or not so don’t know if it is a communication/port thing. But like I said, Two MISHAs, two computers to test on…one software.

The first time was so easy, I was surprised to run into trouble.  Will the EDM “see” a connected device even if it has the latest firmware, or does it only “see” a device that is able to be updated? (doesn’t explain the one with the old firmware, but might explain why it doesn’t see the “updated” one) – grasping at straws! lol

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Yes, your Misha should show up in EDM regardless of the firmware version it has.

No, you cannot update the firmware via the SD card, you must use EDM.

The latest version of EDM should work correctly, we have tested this on a few machines with different Mishas and we are not experiencing any issues.

Have you tried selecting “Search for Devices” in EDM once your Misha is connected?

Can you let me know what Mac model you are using, and what OS it is running?

On your mac, if you open a terminal window, copy/paste the command below and hit enter, this will show a list of connected USB devices. You should see one titled “Misha Updater”.

ioreg -p IOUSB -l -w 0 

scobot1
      Participant

HI,

Oh yes, believe me I have clicked on “Search for device” – like a 1000 times (both for Mac and PC). 🙂

PC: Windows 10

Mac (is old Mac Mini, will look up details) But NOTE: this is the same MAC and OS that did update the other Misha. Only when I was unable to get it to work, did I download the PC version of the software. So…there shouldn’t be an issue unless the software was updated since I did the successful firmware update.

I will look to see if the “Misha Updater” is showing up on MAC. Anything similar to look for on the Windows PC?

Was the EDM updated in the last month or so? Is there an old version I can try? Am I obsessing too much about updating to firmware V1.00.04? lol

Thanks.

scobot1
      Participant

MISHA 1 “About” info:

• Version: 1.00.04
      • Build: 22091201
      • Boot Ver: 3.02
      • Ser#: MI-***90
      • Board Rev: 8

MISHA 2 “About” info:

• Version: 1.00.00
      • Build: 22062403
      • Boot Ver: 3.00
      • Ser#: MI-***93
      • Board Rev: 8

EDM on Windows 10 and Windows 7 not seeing either MISHA. (tested multiple USB cables and ports)

EDM on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 EDM successfully updated MISHA 1 to firmware 1.00.004 on 12/20/2022 – but now EDM will not find either MISHA connected to Mac(?!) Worked a month ago.

Was there an update to EDM since 12/20/22? Can I try an older version?

I assume there may be future firmware updates for MISHA, so would like to figure this out so I can stay up to date. Frustrating the EDM on the Mac worked, but no longer does. Oh computers!

Thanks again. Sorry for the headaches and “mystery”.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Sorry you are still having issues. I’ll email you directly with some further troubleshooting steps. Thanks for your patience.

scobot1
      Participant

Thank you @tbskoglund and Eventide Staff for reaching out via email. As it turns out, everything just “magically” worked today!  Go figure!

The EDM worked (on the Mac) by seeing both MISHAs – as if there was never any problem and it was the most natural thing in the world. Updated the firmware on MISHA 2 easy-peasy.

ONE possible thing to try (if anyone comes across this issue in the future) is to test the USB connection (and cable) with another device that has a Mini USB connection.

I happened to have a ZOOM H1n Digital recorder that had a mini port and connected that to the Mac. Using the Terminal command, I was able to see that the ZOOM device was listed as a connection. I then left everything as is, connected “MISHA 1″(which had the updated firmware), ran the ioreg -p IOUSB -l -w 0 command, and saw “Eventide” device listed as being connected. Then I ran the EDM, it found MISHA 1 connected. I left everything as is, repeated the process with MISHA 2, and YES – the EDM found it too, and I was able to update the firmware.

Don’t know what all that means. Maybe the USB port on the Mac had to be “woken up” or something.  Who knows?! Computers…gotta love them.

Thanks again for the help, and willingness to go down the rabbit hole with me. Cheers!

Sync
      Participant

I’m also having this problem on two Windows machines.   Both are Windows 7.   Installed device manager 1.9.0.   Connected Misha, on one machine it said unrecognized device.  On the other, no response at all.   I also noticed that when starting up the device manager on one, it attempts to connect to check for updates, and it pops up a message that it can’t contact services-prod.aws.eventideaudio.com.   I tried checking several sites that verify if the site is up and most of them said no, it wasn’t just me.   So I’m assuming the update site is offline at the moment and will try again later.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry you are having issues, can you please try again and let me know what happens? I am able to update my Misha from the server so it may have just been down for a bit.

Sync
      Participant

Just tried it again.  When I start up the device manager on my laptop, it tries to check for updates, and I’m still getting the message:

“Could not communicate with eventide server at

https://services-prod.aws.eventideaudio.com

I tried checking the URL at both isitup.org and downforeveryoneorjustme.com and both of those sites say the server is down.

Separate from that, I tried plugging the Misha (after powering up with the User1 and Down buttons pressed, giving me the two white user lights) into the laptop, and it does not produce the characteristic sound when a USB device is added– which does work if I plug in a memory stick to the same port.  There is then no indication the Misha is attached to the laptop at all.

With my tower system, plugging the powered-up Misha into that, I get the characteristic sound, but also a Windows OS popup that the device is not recognized.   Starting up the Eventide Device Manager, it pauses for 5-10 seconds with a popup bar saying it’s checking for updates, and then the popup goes away without any further information and opens up the “Select Eventide Device” window, where no devices are shown.  Clicking on “Search for Devices” just instantly refreshes the empty devices window.  I then tried it with the firewall disabled and the antivirus program disabled, same results.

When I click on the “Device not recognized” OS popup, it takes me to the screen image I uploaded with this text where it shows the “Unknown Device”.  This USB port I use all the time for flash drive file copying so I know the port works.  I also tried the other port with the same results.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Can you please try a different USB cable for the connection? Can you also confirm that you are connecting directly to the computer and not using a USB hub?

Sync
      Participant

In both cases (laptop and tower) I’m connecting directly to the computer.   In the case of the Dell laptop, there are only two external USB sockets, and I’ve tried both.   In the case of the Lenovo tower, there are two in the front panel and some (I’m not sure how many) in the back– I’ve tried one in the back and both of the front sockets.  In no case am I using an external hub, either powered or otherwise.

I tried a cable that I’ve successfully used to update my GPS device, and also I have a little MP3 player that uses an equivalent cable, I’ve tried both the original Eventide supplied cable with it and my GPS cable, and with either cable I’m able to access the audio files on the MP3 player as if it were a flash drive (and they both work as charging cables with that as well).  So both cables I have appear to work fine with other devices.

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Hello –

I’m going to follow up in Tyler’s place, as he is busy at present. We had a few more thoughts/questions:

– You could try a powered hub. Maybe there is a current draw issue and it needs more power.

– Are you using Service Pack 1 of Windows 7? One of us is successfully using Windows 7, Service Pack 1 to do the update.

– And just now I was able to use EDM successfully with PC (Windows 11 Home). I did hear a beep the moment I plugged it in.

– And just to confirm: you power Misha up in update mode, and THEN connect the cable, yes? It sounded like you were doing that

– Does a USB computer keyboard work on Misha? (To test this, you will need a usb computer keyboard and a USB-A gender changer to connect to the supplied cable from Eventide into the micro-USB jack, the same jack you use for updates). Keypresses on the computer keyboard then should trigger the various intervals, for example by default ‘d’=”+1″.) If that doesn’t work, it’s conceivable there is an issue with the USB port.

– And do you have any other Eventide devices that use EDM (pedals, etc.). Am curious if your computer recognizes them.

Thanks. Last question: where are you located?

Sync
      Participant

Not sure if I have a powered hub– I may, will have to dig around for it.

Both systems are W7 Pro SP1.

I did power up the Misha first in update mode, then connected the cable.

I have a couple of USB keyboards but need the adapter– I ordered one from Amazon that’ll be here next week, will try it then.

I don’t have any other Eventide devices.

I’m in Central California, and have a solid cable internet connection that I’ve been using for years, work at home, streaming video, etc., all works.

Sync
      Participant

Just got the cabling to try a USB computer keyboard.   What I have is a slimline budget QWERTY keyboard with a USB a connector that I’ve used with another Eurorack module, the Teletype.  First tested it with my computer, using a pair of type A to microUSB adapters so that I could verify that my microUSB adapter is working.   It works, checked it in two ways– Num Lock key causes the num lock light on the keyboard to illuminate.   Second, opened up Notepad and typed keys on the keyboard and it’s working.

With the Misha though, neither of the two tests work– num lock does NOT turn on the num lock light, and typing keys does nothing.

It rather looks like my USB port on the Misha is non-functional…

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

Hello-

Thanks for doing that test.

What you say about the USB port sounds increasingly likely to be true, unfortunately.

But just to be ultra rigorous about this:

Exactly what cable did you get?  It connects a usb keyboard to the Misha usb Jack, yes?  So it’s female USB-A to micro usb male, is that right?

What I am using is a “gender changer” adapter usb-a female to female, together with the supplied male usb-a to micro usb male cable.  If you are also using a gender changer together with the supplied cable, it could yet be that the supplied cable is the problem

But you mentioned a cable, not an adapter, so probably your analysis is right 

Off-hand I don’t know whether num lock should do anything when plugged into Misha, but by default, there ought to be a defined usb keyboard  map (setup/system/usb mapping), and then for example D is set to step 1, so pressing that should move you through the scale . Maybe double check that some keys like “D” are defined, and verify that they’re not working when you press them

Thanks

Sync
      Participant

I tried these two USB-A Female to micro USB male short adapter cables:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LN3LQKQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M098EAG

In order to check that these adapters were working properly, I combined each of them with this cable when connecting the keyboard to my Windows PC:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MEBEOW8

The point being, that this treats the combo of the adapters and the A-to-micro extension cable as an A-to-A extension cable that I could use with my keyboard in order to verify that the adapters were passing the keyboard signals to the PC as expected in case one of the adapters was bad or incorrect.  My PC doesn’t have micro-USB so in order to test a micro-usb adapter I needed to add the above extension cable in order to test the adapters.   Both adapters worked with the keyboard to my PC in this way, so I have some confidence that the adapters are working as expected.

The point of num-lock is that the fact the light changes on the keyboard when depressed suggests to me that the keyboard is actually getting power.  My thinking is, the num-lock is a local function that just toggles the feature within the keyboard and turns on the light.  Maybe that’s not the case and it sends a signal to the computer that then sends a signal back out USB to turn on the light?   I’m not sure about that, but that was what I was thinking– certainly it shows with the PC that the keyboard is powered at that point.   Maybe the fact that with the Misha there’s no num-lock logic in the Misha that would be necessary to turn on the light, but if it was a local function, power is all that should be required and I was trying to get some indication that the keyboard is getting power when connected to the Misha.

Checked keyboard setup, and keys appear to be defined– D and F in particular looked correct and I tried those– no response.

I noticed some other rather strange behavior.  If the keyboard is not connected to the Misha, powering it up goes through it’s boot-up light blinking sequence, and it’s pretty quick.  Looks like it takes about 4 to 5 seconds to complete the boot up sequence.   If the keyboard is pre-attached to the Misha on power up, the light sequence takes quite a bit longer– runs in slow motion, pausing on each light for about a second– the whole sequence lasting about 20 seconds before it completes.

In addition, regardless of whether or not the keyboard was plugged in advance of power up or not, if the keyboard is attached, pushing the up/down buttons is somewhat impaired– you have to hold the button a little or it’ll miss the fact that you pressed it– when without the keyboard, response when pressing a button is quick and I’ve not seen it miss one because I didn’t hold it down long enough.   Not sure what this means but it seems that the fact the keyboard is connected to USB is causing something to delay processing even of non-keyboard events.

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

That cable configuration test with the PC does sound like a thorough way to know the connection is solid, considering that you are actually adding to it and it’s still working. So thanks for that test

I want to run this by a few people, but please want to check one final thing: do you have any other PC keyboard you could substitute to see if you get the same result?

Sync
      Participant

Interesting– tried a different keyboard and that one is working.  It’s a full-size USB keyboard rather than the mini-keyboard I had been trying.   Also, the second one doesn’t have the delay problem the first one did, both on bootup and when pushing buttons after it’s booted…

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

Hmm interesting- well that’s good news, does suggest that the problem isn’t the Misha USB Jack or your conversion cables

By any chance do you have access to a different PC to try the firmware update ?

Sync
      Participant

Well, I’ve just got the two PCs (tower and laptop) and have tried it on both.  My friend has a Mac which I know little about and he’s no expert– he just got a new one that he’s still trying to sort out and I don’t know that he’d relish me installing software on it.   I’ve also got a couple of Raspberry Pi’s and that’s it at the moment.   I had a W10 machine for work but got laid off in Jan and had to send it back.

Sync
      Participant

Ok, I was able to try it on a new Windows 10 laptop, connecting to any of the three USB ports on the laptop causes the connection sound to play, but it then pops up a window with “USB device not recognized.   The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.”

And the Device Manager then doesn’t see it.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Hi Sync,

I’m sorry for all the troubleshooting you’ve gone through with your unit. At this point, it’d be best to send your unit in for us to look at.

Can you please email support@eventide.com and link this thread in your message? I’ll make sure that we get this taken care of ASAP.

Thanks for your patience.

Sync
      Participant

Thanks for the attention.  The Misha is a really interesting and unique device, looking forward to trying out the latest updates.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.