eventide space update problem

Home Forums Products Stompboxes eventide space update problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      lav

Hi! i tried to upgrade my eventide space to version 5.0.0 (6). but it's impossible now. h9 control say me "failed to retrieve stompbox protocol". i tried to do everything (restored device or programs or my mac, download old software version and other…) but this doesn't help. can you advice me what to do. now on my device installed 5.0.0.(5) beta version of software. thank's for your help. maybe somebody have 5.0.0 (6) update file. thanks. waiting for an answer.

gkellum
      Participant

You lav:

now on my device installed 5.0.0.(5) beta version of software.

You currently have 5.0.0(5) installed? That is the latest release of software for Space. We haven't made a 5.0.0(6) release. Where are you seeing a 5.0.0(6) release?

Also, I don't understand why you can't connect your Space to H9 Control. If you have 5.0.0(5) installed, it should work. You said you had tried a restore already, but just to be sure, have you tried restoring your Space's system settings by turning your Space off and turning it on again with the right footswitch and the algorithm selector encoder (the knob labeled Preset) pressed?

dimitris1179
      Participant

gkellum:

We haven't made a 5.0.0(6) release. Where are you seeing a 5.0.0(6) release?

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support/Stompboxes/Space.aspx -> Support for Space

Space Software Update

9/11/2014 -Space 5.0.0Devil Software is now available.

For more information read the Space Update Page.

Devil

gkellum
      Participant

Oh… Sorry about that. That page is incorrect.  We'll fix that…  Sorry about the confusion.

Daniel
      Participant

I just ran across the info about the 5.0.0(6) update, and learned that's an error.

What I need to know is this: do I now need to use the H9 software for updating my SPACE pedal (and ditch the previous FactorLib, etc.)?

Also, is the 5.0.0(5) update simply to enable compatibility with the H9, or are there other tweaks in it?

And on the specific SPACE update page, I don't see that 5.0.0(5), unless that's what will come up using the H9 software.

Sorry for the dummy questions, tech isn't quite my strong suit.

gkellum
      Participant

Daniel:

do I now need to use the H9 software for updating my SPACE pedal (and ditch the previous FactorLib, etc.)?

Well, the actual application that you use now for updating your Space is called the Eventide Direct Updater. You can download and install that from the Space support page, or if you want to use H9 Control with your Space, it comes with the Eventide Direct Updater bundled into it. So, if you connect H9 Control to a Space that doesn't have v5 software installed on it, H9 Control will offer to launch the Eventide Direct Updater for you to update your Space.

Once you install v5, you'll need to start using H9 Control with your Space as FactorLib won't work with it anymore…

Daniel:

Also, is the 5.0.0(5) update simply to enable compatibility with the H9, or are there other tweaks in it?

It was primarily an update to make Space work with H9 Control.  There were some tweaks to it but the algorithms that come with Space and the parameters you have to control them didn't change.

Daniel:

And on the specific SPACE update page, I don't see that 5.0.0(5), unless that's what will come up using the H9 software.

When you open up the Eventide Direct Updater with your Space connected, it will show you the list of available software for your Space including the latest beta software and the earlier Space software releases.

Daniel
      Participant

Thanks very much for the help!

reissue

I’m currently updating my space from 3.2.0(10) to the latest software. When using the H9 controller it says it needs to use the eentide utility updateer. The updater sees my space pedal, I select the midi ports successfully but no software shows up in section 2 of the updater. So I’m stalled out. I am connected to the internet, I’m logged into eventide.com. What am I doing wrong?

gkellum
        Participant
        reissue wrote:

I select the midi ports successfully but no software shows up in section 2 of the updater. So I'm stalled out. I am connected to the internet, I'm logged into eventide.com. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, we're having trouble with the server that serves those updates, and we're in the process of moving all of those files into the cloud to prevent this from happening again in the future.  Unfortunately, this means that we're also going to have to update the updating software.  So, this is going to take a bit of time.  I'll post back when the problem is resolved.

mesmertron
      Participant

Is the .bam file hosted anywhere so we can just dl then select it in the auto updater dialog?

gkellum
      Participant

We’ve posted new builds of both H9 Control and the Eventide Direct Updater that get the updates from the cloud. So please update to the latest version.

reissue

CAUTION: I just updated with the latest H9 updated- for the first time I saw the software for the update in the Directupdater. I was able to update my software but when I clicked “OK” to restart the pedal it didn’t restart. It hasn’t restarted in normal mode at all. It’s dead. I can’t reinitialize it or anything. It CAN turn on it update mode but doesn’t ever get to the “ready” screen. WHATEVER YOUR SPACE PEDAL IS DOING NOW IS BETTER THAN WHAT MINE IS DOING. I’d advise NOT doing the update with the current software and firmware. I’ll udpate when I hear back from Eventide support.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry you are having trouble. I would suggest that you try the update again.

Did the update appear to run to completion the previous time without any errors or unusual events beyond those you describe ?

reissue

Thanks for the quick reply. At first it appreared normal, altough the time for update said 5+ minutes and it only took 3 or so to complete. It went through “erasing” and “writing” as expected. I would try the update again but I can’t get to the update mode to “ready”.  (See picture to previous post). Any suggestions?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It does not need to say READY, and in fact it won't until there has been some update activity.

UPDATE is what one would expect to see before sending it anything.

Give it a try …

reissue

UPDATE: Space pedal is UNBRICKED. I was able to run the update again by updating to version 4.0.1 and NOT the 5.2.0beta. I call this a success although I’m not able to use the H9 control software yet. I’m attempting to run the update again to install the beta software but the pedal appears to be stuck in “udpate” mode and not getting to “ready”. With each of my 3 space pedals I have a 1 in 10 success rate of getting to “ready”.

gkellum
      Participant

I’d like to mention as well that the Updater checks the hash of the update file after it downloads it, and it simply won’t install the file if it downloaded incorrectly. So I don’t think your problem has anything to do with us moving the updates to the cloud. I do apologize though for the trouble you’ve been having…

mesmertron
      Participant

So now after getting the updater to see my pedal and “update” to 4.01 I can no longer engage any effects. The active switch has stopped working. I then tried to update to the new version thinking it may fix the issue and now the pedal says it has no serial number and neither the updater or the H9 control see the pedal at all. This has been an incredibly frustrating process. I went with the Space because it sounded amazing and the features I saw in multiple videos were exactly what I wanted. I’d be ok with sending the pedal in at this point to have it reflashed or whatever. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm afraid that it does seem like your unit has a problem. Also, given that you have probably suffered enough, the best bet would be to send it in. Contact support@eventide.com

mesmertron
      Participant

The most frustrating thing is that it worked perfectly when I got it, but just had the old firmware. i really wanted to utilize the freeze function available in the newer firmware and started the update process. I’ll contact support and see what they say, thanks.

sunfalls

this just happened to me. my active switch will not engage after updating. 

how did you resolve this ? please help.

i literally just got my Space.

sduck

I also have the not working Active switch after updating to version 4.0.1, and I know at least one other person that also has this issue. I don’t think it’s just a hardware problem. Maybe it’s time to push out a 4.0.2, and test if first…

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry gentlemen – as stated on the other similar threads, we do not know what causes this. Installing earlier software won't help, in part because (we believe) the problem is caused by the installation process.

sunfalls
        nickrose wrote:

Sorry gentlemen – as stated on the other similar threads, we do not know what causes this. Installing earlier software won’t help, in part because (we believe) the problem is caused by the installation process.

curious, what, if anything, have you discovered about this. i presume some digging is going on, as you stated- “we believe” the installation process caused it”.

just looking for insights, any answers.. simply becuase my install went smooth as silk.

gkellum
        Participant
        sunfalls wrote:

curious, what, if anything, have you discovered about this. i presume some digging is going on, as you stated- "we believe" the installation process caused it".

just looking for insights, any answers.. simply becuase my install went smooth as silk.

Well, we're trying to reproduce the problem at Eventide.  This problem has popped up with a small number of Factor pedals.  It's not anything as simple as the software being corrupted or it being downloaded incorrectly, because we already have guards in place against those problems.  If we're lucky enough to be able to reproduce it, then we should be able to figure out what's causing it, but we didn't have any luck doing so last week.

sunfalls
        gkellum wrote:

sunfalls wrote:

curious, what, if anything, have you discovered about this. i presume some digging is going on, as you stated- “we believe” the installation process caused it”.

Well, we’re trying to reproduce the problem at Eventide.  This problem has popped up with a small number of Factor pedals.  It’s not anything as simple as the software being corrupted or it being downloaded incorrectly, because we already have guards in place against those problems.  If we’re lucky enough to be able to reproduce it, then we should be able to figure out what’s causing it, but we didn’t have any luck doing so last week.

are you testing your “reproducing process” on Space pedals too., cuz thats the issue here as well. something about how it erased the internal serial # seems to be tantamount.

gkellum
        Participant
        sunfalls wrote:

are you testing your "reproducing process" on Space pedals too., cuz thats the issue here as well. 

Yeah, sorry, when I wrote 'Factor pedals', I meant TimeFactor, ModFactor, PitchFactor AND Space.

sduck

FWIW, the update to 4.0.1 on my Space pedal that caused my problem was done with a mac, running 10.11.3, via USB. Wondering if this particular installer situation might be the problem – there were some pretty significant changes made in OS X 10.11 in how it handles USB; perhaps your updater needs updating?

sduck

Sunfalls and myself (we’re in touch via another forum) have discovered that both of us are using macbook pros running OS X 10.11 – you might want to consider testing with this combo, see if the installer might be the problem. Significant changes were made in 10.11 in how USB is handled.

gkellum
        Participant
        sduck wrote:

Sunfalls and myself (we're in touch via another forum) have discovered that both of us are using macbook pros running OS X 10.11 – you might want to consider testing with this combo, see if the installer might be the problem. Significant changes were made in 10.11 in how USB is handled.

I was testing myself yesterday on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11, and I didn't encounter any updating problems.  It could be that the problem is still related to MacBook Pros running OS X 10.11, but it isn't the case that updating with that combination is going to cause this sort of error every time.

sunfalls

Is it possibly a ‘model/manufacturing date’ problem ?

As has been mentioned in other forum support threads, getting an “invalid serial” has caused issues. and having the internal serial wiped during the process is definitely something, and could that create a communication error betwixt the Active switch and the whole of the pedals OS.

just brainstorming.  

thechimp
      Participant

I have everything set up correctly. The Eventide Direct Updater sees my Space pedal and offers two updates, but both of the updates fail every time.

My Space pedal is now BRICKED and useless. Is there anything to be done here?

Thanks.

gkellum
        Participant
        thechimp wrote:

Please send an email to support@eventide.com and in the email answer the following questions: what desktop computers do you have access to, i.e. Mac, Windows, etc?  when you say the Space is bricked, presumably you mean that it's coming up in UPDATE mode, or is it not turning on at all anymore?  If it is turning on, does the display light up immediately or is there a 10 second delay before the display lights up?

gkellum
        Participant
        thechimp wrote:

Also, what happened exactly when you tried updating your Space?  At what point did the update fail, and what error message (if any) did you see?

sunfalls

how do i unsubscribe from post threads ?

gkellum
        Participant
        sunfalls wrote:

how do i unsubscribe from post threads ?

You can unsubscribe from all notifications in your account settings.  You can't unsubscribe currently from notifications from a single thread.  I'll just lock this thread…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.