EVH Phaser with ModFactor

Home Forums Products Stompboxes EVH Phaser with ModFactor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      DukeOfPrunes

Hey folks, just curious, has anyone tried to get an EVH phase sound using the ModFactor, i.e. the one you can get by pressing the switch on the MXR Phaser pedal to get his setting.

Thanks in advance!

Jean.

Reckedtrek

Do you use the MF pre or post distortion? It makes a big difference in the sound of the unit, and therefore the settings. If you're trying to get as close as possible to EVH's phase 90 tone, it needs to be pre dirt.

DukeOfPrunes

Yeah I know, thanks. I always use it predirt but still can't dial it in…

Reckedtrek

Okay, so you've got it pre dirt- nice. The reason I asked is that I use mine that way and giving you my settings wouldn't help you much if you run it post dirt. Even then you'll probably need to tweak it a bit for your amp/dirt and just to suit your own ears. So here's how I set my MF to simulate VH's Phase 90

• Phaser
      • Type: positive
      • Intensity: 46
      • Depth:64
      • Speed .62
      • Shape: sine
      • Xknob (stages): 2

The bottom row of knobs are not used on this preset for me. Hope this helps.

Tone Jones

I A/B'd the ModFactor to a script reissue and came up with the below.  Sounds pretty damn close.  Set before the amp of course:

Intensity:  0

Type:  Positive

Depth:  50

Speed:  To taste

Shape:  Sine

Xnob:  4 Stage

I leave the bottom row of knobs set to 0.  Note: I back the depth down to around 30 when I increase the speed for funkier stuff.

Reckedtrek

Huh, I compared the MF to my 74' script Reissue…. I found that although the actual phaser is a 4 stage, the 4 stage setting in the MF was a little too smooth and wide for the MXR's sound. The 2 stage was a little rougher sounding and came alot closer to the sound of the MXR.

I guess that's what different rigs and different ears will result in, eh? Now the OP has two versions to try.

Tone Jones

Cool man.  You know, I just went straight for the 4 stage because that's what the MXR is/was.  I'll be sure to check out the 2 stage and see if I like it better.  Thanks for the tip!

Reckedtrek

Yes Cool. After you check out the 2 stage setting, post back. I'm curious what your impression is on the 2 stage vs. the 4 stage.

DukeOfPrunes

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, i'll be sure to try them out as soon as I get a chance.

Jean.

axman53
      Participant

May I jump in here an ask more about where the ModFactor should be in the pedal chain? I have mine in the effect loop of my MESA Lonestar Special, first the MF and followed by the TF. The TF sound great there, but I know some of the effects in the MF are typically used pre-dirt, like the phaser and also any univibe type sound always works best up front. But at the same time, isn't chorus for example supposed to follow the dirt pedals? Can't have the MF in two places, so how do you all deal with this? Thanks.

DukeOfPrunes

I think there might a way to use the two ins and two outs to set one engine pre and the other post; you would be sacrificing any stereo field in that case…

Tone Jones

Checked out your settings which sounded cool too.  The Phaser definitely sounds more pronounced to my ears with your setting which I could see being desirable in certain cases.  Thanks for sharing!

Tone Jones

I just run my MF before the amp (PF and TF in the loop).  Sounds fine to me there.  I never use chorus when I'm using distortion anyway.  Besides, if you were looking for a EVH-like detune effect with gain, you'd probably want to use something like a pitch shifter that was static and didn't modulate like a chorus.  In instances like that, the PF in the loop would be the way to go. 

RobertRoth
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.