Expression control of H90

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Expression control of H90

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dogfish80
      Participant

I’m using a Morningstar MC6-Pro to launch H90 programs.  This is working quite well.    Now, I would like to use a Dunlop Mini-X expression pedal thru the MC6-Pro to control some of the H90 Program variables.   I read both manuals.    It’s not clear how this is done.   BTW, I have used the Morningstar / Dunlop combo to control other midi devices just fine and those 2 units seem to be behaving correctly.    It’s just the last connection to the H90 is not working.

Has anyone configured a similar combo?

My secondary question might be, once the above is working –  what are the good variables to control once i get this working? (realizing each algo has different parameters), generally, which are best to control with expression?

Thanks.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

1. Connect your Dunlop DVP4 to the MC6 Pro using a TRS cable. Make sure the port is configured for an expression pedal and not an aux switch of some sort. In the software of the Morningstar MC6 Pro, make sure the port is configured for “Expression.” Also, on the Preset side, make sure it’s setup to send expression data with controller change information.
      2. Next, assign a CC# to the port and make sure we’re transmitting on the same channel as the H90.
      3. Finally, on the H90 assign parameters to the same CC# you’ve chosen for MIDI expression. This can be done on a Program or Global basis.

To assign specific preset parameters to a CC#, press Parameters, choose the category, for example, Preset A parameters, and hold down the quick knob button of the parameter you wish to map. The easiest way to map is to just use the Learn function, so the pedal automatically detects the CC# of the pedal as we move it back and forth. We can set a custom expression range on the next page, if we want. Repeat this process to map more parameters to the MIDI expression pedal.

On the other hand, for global assignments, I recommend always mapping parameters to HotKnob P and then mapping HotKnob P to a CC# in the MIDI – Global Ctl menu. Using this strategy, since parameters and custom ranges are mapped to HotKnob P for every Program, we can then use the expression pedal transmitting through the MIDI controller on the same CC# to control Hotknob P for all Programs globally.

dogfish80
      Participant

I’m getting closer.  the dunlop expression pedal seems to engage the H90 thru the MC6, however, parameters are not changing.   I have this for the controller preset on the morningstar and h90 map, pictures attached.    any advice?   thanks.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi dogfish80,

A few observations:

1. In the “ms-exp preset-scaled” image, I see you have the expression pedal set to transmit CC#100. Yet, in your H90 external control assignments, none of the functions are mapped to CC# 100. In other words, the MC6 is transmitting your expression pedal movements on CC#100 but nothing is programmed to receive on the H90.

2. In the “H90-midi-ms-preset” image, I see you have assigned one switch to control two different controller change numbers, CC38 and CC39. These require you to press a switch on the MC6 Pro to send a value to the respective CC38 and CC39; both will receive the value of expression on Port 1. Not sure this is what you want to do.

3. In your H90 assignments, I see you have mapped “Expression 1” to all the Quick Knob, but here, “Expression 1” is referring to the expression pedal connected to the first EXP/CTL input on the back of the H90.

For things to work more smoothly, I would assign CC100 to the exact function you want to control.

Anthony
      Participant

In the Morningstar midi settings, the message selection should be ‘expression message’ rather than CC, which then gives the choice of message 1, 2, 3….  etc.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.