Expression Pedal Confusion…

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Expression Pedal Confusion…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      breakyerface
      Participant

You’ll have to excuse me, am I’m quite new to the world of effects. I have an H90 currently shipping my way and am looking at expression pedals. Mission Engineering’s website says the SP-H9 is only recommended for the H9… for any of Eventides other products, the EP-25K should be used. I’ve read around this forum, and saw that the SP-H9 “works well” but the toe switch doesn’t work. More reading on this forum reveals that the EP-25K apparently needs to be opened up and have wires cut because it’s not a “true” expression pedal.

Honestly, I just want a good quality expression pedal that I can expect to function properly. I’m not married to Mission Engineering’s products, they just appear to have great build quality from my findings. Was there a particular expression pedal used by Eventide’s engineering team while building the functionality into the H90? I understand it probably wouldn’t be the best look for Eventide staff to recommend one product over the other, which is why I assume recommendations on this forum have been lackluster. It would just be excellent to have some proper recommendations for expression pedals which will allow me to enjoy both the maximum potential of the H90 and the expression pedal itself without leaving any functionality on the table from either of these items. These things aren’t cheap.

brock
      Participant

I’ve used a couple Roland EV-5s, the EHX 8 Step Program, and the O.G. Source Audio Reflex without any issues.  10-25K Ohms.

I don’t know what Eventide used while developing the H90.

breakyerface
      Participant

It’s unfortunate that the Source Audio Reflex was discontinued. It would have been my prime choice.

brock
      Participant

There has been quite a bit of talk at TGP about Reflex 2.0.  Nothing too solid on a release date yet.  If I recall, no integrated treadle; add your own expression pedal.  Still, if the feature set is anything close to the original, I am 100%-early-adopter-in.  Nothing else like it.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-source-audio-pedal-reflex-2-0.2309566/

apalazzolo
      Participant

I have two SPH9’s and have used them with both the H9 and H90. They are rock solid and the expression pedal portion works perfectly with both the H9 and H90. But the footswitch portion does NOT work with the H90. I’m 99% sure this is by design … the H90 doesn’t support exp ped and footswitch functionality (with any pedal) like the H9 did. I can confidently recommend the SPH9 for exp pedal functionality for the H90 after using them together for many months.

Good luck!

gholtfreter
      Participant

My cheap Hotone Soul Press II was easy to setup and works great. I cannot get my Boss EV-1-WL to work at all. I’ve tried USB and midi out with various CCs both globally and with parameters but no luck. The H90 recognizes it to calibrate but nothing.

cestlamort
      Participant

I use a Roland EV5 (light! Works well!) and a Dunlop volume X mini pedal (small! Works well!). I prefer the Roland overall but the Dunlop works better for stability after taking your foot away. But live, things are (by design) usually all or nothing for the treadle.

It’s nice to have a solid pedal but depending on your uses it’s maybe a bit of overkill (and pedals add up where weight is concerned). I’ve had the Roland for years and still use it regularly and if I had tk start over, I’d pick that one for function, durability, weight, value.

In any case, good luck with the search. Pretty much any expression pedal will work from what I understand. They do really open some doors for, um, expression.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.