Expression pedal jumping values on Timefactor

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Expression pedal jumping values on Timefactor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      4_cuerdas
      Participant

Hi,

I bought a Timefactor and a Space and I am very happy with the quality of the effects, but I am having problems with the expression pedal. First I bough a roland EV5 expression pedal, then I saw that the values where jumping up and down when I am not using the expression pedal at all. I thought it was the expression pedal, so I bought a Mission Engineering EP 25K and I saw that the values of the timefactor and space were still toggling without me using the expression pedal. So, I decided to buy the expression pedal recommended by Eventide, the Ernie Ball VP jr 25k, and today I experienced the same error, the values again were increasing and decreasing a bit without me using the pedal. I am really dissapointed because I love the sound of the pedals, but it is very frustrating that the values are jumping making the sound kind of random. Just for information I connected the Ernie Ball expression pedal to the Timefactor, then I connected the MIDI out of the timefactor to the MIDI in of the space to send expression over MIDI to control both pedals, and I am sure I have the latest firmware for both pedals, so I don’t really know what to do. Can somebody help me with this one? Eventide staff ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You don't say how much the values are changing. If it goes from (say) 55 to 56 out of 100, this is probably circuit noise.

If it changes by a lot, this could be a bad cable or  a hardware fault in the unit.

4_cuerdas
        Participant

Thanks for the quick replay nickrose, well it is only a couple of values, for example if I have the expression pedal totally closed (toe down) the values will jump from 100 to 96-88.. please tell me there is a fix for this problem….

nickrose wrote:

You don’t say how much the values are changing. If it goes from (say) 55 to 56 out of 100, this is probably circuit noise.

If it changes by a lot, this could be a bad cable or  a hardware fault in the unit.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Make sure that the pedals are properly calibrated as described in the UM. They should go 0-100 over the full range of the pedal – if the pedal only moves a little to cover the full range, this could be the problem.

Then, try pushing the jack in and out about 10 times at each end to clean the contacts.

If that does not help, try another cable.

If that does not help, and the problem mainly applies to one unit,, send it for service (support@eventide.com).

4_cuerdas
        Participant

Thanks for the advice, I will do that tomorrow and report back!

Cheers!

nickrose wrote:

Make sure that the pedals are properly calibrated as described in the UM. They should go 0-100 over the full range of the pedal – if the pedal only moves a little to cover the full range, this could be the problem.

Then, try pushing the jack in and out about 10 times at each end to clean the contacts.

If that does not help, and the problem mainly applies to one unit,, send it for service (support@eventide.com).

4_cuerdas
        Participant

Hi nick, the manual of the Timefactor says : “Because different pedals can have different electrical characteristics, it is a good idea to “calibrate” your Stompbox to match the pedal. This can be done automatically, either all the time, or only when wanted. To turn calibration On/Off:

1) Press and hold the Encoder and Right Footswitch simultaneously for a few seconds to enter System Mode. Release the Encoder.

1. 2)  Turn the Encoder until [UTILITY] is displayed.

2. 3)  Momentarily press the Encoder.

3. 4)  Turn the Encoder until [PEDAL CAL] is displayed.

4. 5)  Momentarily press the Encoder.

5. 6)  Turn the Encoder to select either ON or OFF.

6. 7)  Press and hold the Encoder and Right Footswitch simultaneously for a few

seconds to exit System Mode. 

But my pedal doesn´t have the PEDAL CAL function!, if I go to UTILITY then I find (in this specific order): CATCHUP/SPILL/BANKS/PDLOCK/SER#/SW VER…..and that´s it!, I checked all the other functions in the pedal and I can´t find the PEDAL CAL function anywhere…. I have the software version 3.5.0(4)… what can we do about it?

nickrose wrote:

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You have very old software. You might consider updating it (be sure to re-initialize the unit afterwards).

To calibrate the version you have, move the pedal between its maximum and minimum several times.

4_cuerdas
        Participant

I updated the software of my TimeFactor and now the expression pedal works perfectly!. Thanks a lot for your help nick. Case closed! 🙂

nickrose wrote:

You have very old software. You might consider updating it (be sure to re-initialize the unit afterwards).

To calibrate the version you have, move the pedal between its maximum and minimum several times.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.