expression pedal problem with delay

Home Forums Products Stompboxes expression pedal problem with delay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      tristanpeel

hi there can anyone help me. I have my time factor with a roland EV5 pedal. i must say it great having one type of setting on the heel and then a completely different setting on the toe. What i am finding however is that the delay type is'nt changing. Eg: on the heel i want the 1/4 and on the toe I want dotted 1/8. every other setting works fine. am i doing something wrong? I am waiting for the light to stop flashing before i move the pedal and apply differnt settings. Help please[:'(]

Jakob

I installed the same pedal yesterday, which I bought used. I had a different problem, but maybe it has the same origin:

Please take look at the jack of the pedal. Is it a stereo type, TRS jack or a mono, TS jack? Mine has a stereo jack.

I found out that the TF showed a "0" on the heel position of the pedal, but the maximum value when in full toe position was only "82" instead of "100".

So I read the manual and it said the exp. input on the TF is for TS type, mono jacks.

What I did was I soldered together the contacts for tip and ring at the pot inside the expression pedal. That solved the problem. I couldn't assign values to the "100" position, which could be a reason in your case, too.

Just an idea, check it out.

For the Eventide people: if you haven't done it already, please let your customers know that this problem can occur with expression pedals that have a TRS type output cable. Connecting tip and ring solves the problem.

Jakob

From the Eventide TimeFactor FAQ:

"Why can't I get my Expression Pedal to work right?
      If
      your Expression Pedal has a trim pot control, try adjusting it to
      either end of its range. If your Expression Pedal causes parameter
      values to go from min to max and back down to min again as you move
      from toe to heel, try connecting it using a stereo phone cable rather
      than a mono cable."

It's funny, I solved my problems by doing the exact opposite.

@Eventide: if you have the chance of getting your hands on a Roland EV-5, try them with the TF. I bought mine used, so maybe it was modded. But if you encounter the same problems, it would be great to let your customers know of the solution as described in my other post here.

These pedals are pretty popular in Europe.

caveman
      Participant

I have an EV-5 and a timefactor.. I found the EV5 would only work predictably if the Timefactor was powered on WITH the EV5 connected.

tristanpeel

hey man. that very good info. mine is a TRS jack. i bought it brand new plus on the roland Site it states it a TRS. So what you saying is that a TS( meaning a mono jack )would work. Like i said everything else works great. it just the delay typ. So all i really need to do is do a snip snip on the jack and solder a mono jack ?Smile

caveman
      Participant

Yes, not so minor detail. As I remember, the EV5 stock uses ring as hot, tip as wiper, shield as ground.  So if I remembered correctly, it should work, but if it's been modded you can take it apart and swap black and red wires to make tip the wiper.  On mine I just installed a jack long ago and quickly resolder the wires for whatever I happen to be using, whether TRS sleeve hot, TRS Tip hot, or  TS.  Unfortunately there is no standard wiring for expression pedals.

Now it's just wired as a resistive load.. TIP = Wiper, Ring = Ground.  It's worked this way for the last few pieces of gear I've used so I've left it alone and forgot about all the changes I had to do prior

So you might want to check inside if yours is miswired, if so, I would recommend reversing the black/red wires first..  Or what had been mentioned about bridging across tip and ring would work too, but I think it would be easier to just swap them.

Having said all that, if yours is working for all settings but one, and you can see the sweep from 00 to 99 or 100,  I would guess the pedal is wired right and something else is going on.

Jakob

No need to change the jack itself, Tristanpeel. I just connected tip and ring (red and white) inside the pedal. Right at the pot that's moved by the pedal there are three contacts, you can see clearly which one is connected to each cable. Shield is still connected to the brown cable, which is ground. Ring is left open, on a mono jack this would be ground as well. But the TF seems to make contact to the lower part of the jack, where the shield is on stereo jacks.

I don't know if just swapping red and white will work as well. Worth a try but I won't resolder as it works for me.

tristanpeel

Thanks Guys . I'll will give that a go and let you know what the outcome isSmile

Donatello

Hi Jacob I've seen that you are very expert, 'bout pedal expression. I wanna buy two pair of Ernie Ball VP Jr 25K, cause i wish separately control, Intensity in the Mod e Mix in the Time. I've post question to the Eventide 'bout cable and kind of wiring, but they don't advise me. I prefer Ernie Ball while Ev5 cause many user said me that Ernie Ball is most accurate, and this need me. Which cable could I use to connect Ernie Ball to Mod/Time ???? (1 Stereo and 2 Mono or 1 Stereo 1 Mono or other  ???

Best Regards from Italy

Donatello     

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.