Expression pedal problem with H9 – 0 to 86 to 0?!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Expression pedal problem with H9 – 0 to 86 to 0?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      msurys

Hello,

I’ve just bought a H9 and I am delighted with the device, sounds fabulous. However, I have a little concern. I own a Dunlop’s Mini Volume X (DVP4) that has both volume pedal function and an expression pedal function. I can’t make it work with my H9. I am using a simple mono cable if that is of importance.

1) if I plug it into the volume pedal output, it goes from 0 to around 86 to 0. No luck making it work in any other way

2) If I plug it into the expression pedal output, it goes from 0 to around 20 then to 0. Reversing polarity makes it go from 50 to 0.

Anything that I am missing? I bought the DVP4 especially to use with H9 and I am a bit confused – I need a small pedal and chose it specially because of the features (being both volume and expression) – hoping that it should work with such an advanced device as H9 without any problem.

Can changing the cable to TRS stero change anything? If so, I am going to buy/make one – don’t have one now to try.

The DVP4 is most probably the same construction as DVP3, only smaller – so maybe anyone with experience with DVP3 may help as well.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Please see other posts on the Forum, such as:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/h9-expression-and-tap-switch-y-cable-setup

Basically, your problem is that this pedal expects a TRS lead – if you use a mono lead, you get the 0-100-0.

msurys

Thank you! Is it TRS that should connect to output/input of the pedal, or just TRS from exp/aux output of the pedal to H9?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        msurys wrote:

Thank you! Is it TRS that should connect to output/input of the pedal, or just TRS from exp/aux output of the pedal to H9?

The TRS is for the pedal – the H9 does not care. Note that you should set the H9 EXPTIP for EXP only – it gets complicated if you want pedal and switch with this pedal.

Given To Fly
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

msurys wrote:

The TRS is for the pedal – the H9 does not care. Note that you should set the H9 EXPTIP for EXP only – it gets complicated if you want pedal and switch with this pedal.

I’ll share a source of confusion that I finally figured out in case it helps someone somewhere. I was under the impression the H9 could be used with 2 Aux. switches, such as the Boss FS-6, and an Ernie Ball Jr. 25k Volume Pedal acting as an Expression Pedal. My reasoning was the Factor pedals had a TRS jack that allowed for 3 Aux. Switches and an Exp. Pedal Jack allowing for an Expression Pedal. 3 + 1 = 4 to put it simply. With the H9, my Digitech FS-300 still gave me 3 Aux. Switches but at the expense of an Expression Pedal. I thought it was possible to sacrifice an Aux. Switch for an Expression Pedal, giving me an Expression Pedal and 2 Aux. Switches because the math made sense. I thought a switch and a potentiometer were the essentially same thing as far as the H9 was concerned. Apparently, I was wrong. 

With the H9 you get 1 Aux. Switch and 1 Expression Pedal or 3 Aux. Switches. Those are your options. With the Factor pedals, you get 3 Aux. Switches and 1 Expression Pedal without compromise.  

That is how I currently understand things regarding the H9, the Factor Series, and arithmetic. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The conclusion of your arithmetic is correct.

One thing to consider is that the three switches are actually a special case of two switches (switch 3 is based on holding down both the others), so you can't just sacrifice one of them in exchange for a pedal.

Note that also using both a switch and a pedal on the H9 requires specific and correct wiring. See elsewhere for information.

jatomk
      Participant

As I observe similar issue with my setup let me post my question here.

Issue is tha values controled by expression jumps from min to max, nothing in-between.

My setup is as follows:

Boss FV500H expression to Boss ES-8 switching sysem via TRS cable. ES-8 to Eventide H9 via MIDI cable. All programmin n ES-8 is done correcty according to Boss knowledge base instruction.

Additional issues are very slow response – even jump between min max value is not instand and latency is significant, and after changing programm it is required to move pedal back and forth in order to make it “visible” for H9 and I thing H9 should read current position of the pedal after programm change.

I believe that there is one solution to fix all listedmalfunctons

thanks in advance

Tomek

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.