Expression pedal via MIDI controller setup help please

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Expression pedal via MIDI controller setup help please

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #114613
      jphoyt
      Member

      I should preface this post by saying that I know absolutely nothing about MIDI, but I’m trying to learn.

      I purchased a Decibel 11 Switch Doctor for use with my analog effects and my H9. The Switch Doctor can send continuous MIDI data for the expression pedal and I set it up on MIDI CC1. (I want to use the expression pedal via MIDI so I can use my Barn3 OX9 switches and keep their functions intact).

      I then setup the H9 rcv.ctl to MIDI CC1 although I’m not sure if that was global or just for the preset I was on.

      I can increment and decrement presets with the Switch Doctor, so I know it’s communicating with the H9.

      I guess I have two questions. The first being how to setup the expression pedal and the second being how to assign what it controls in each preset.

      Some simple step by step instructions would be helpful. I tried looking for a video with no luck, and every time I start getting into the user guide, my children interrupt me (being a Dad is great, lol.).

      I’m a bass player and mainly want to use the expression pedal to control mix functions.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you in advance.

    • #148451
      gkellum
      Member

      I don't know if you're trying to make expression pedal mappings using the app or using the H9 itself.  Here's a link to a short video showing how to make expression pedal mappings in the app:

      Also, you can double check in the app if the H9 is set-up to expect the expression pedal correctly by clicking the Pedal settings button in the bottom menu bar, going to MIDI Settings, going to 'Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions', and checking the assignments there.  If I understand you correctly, you want MIDI CC 1 to be assigned to the pedal function 'Set expression pedal value', and you want to make sure its not assigned to any other parameter as well.

       

       

      • #148452
        jphoyt
        Member
        gkellum wrote:

        I don't know if you're trying to make expression pedal mappings using the app or using the H9 itself.  Here's a link to a short video showing how to make expression pedal mappings in the app:

        Also, you can double check in the app if the H9 is set-up to expect the expression pedal correctly by clicking the Pedal settings button in the bottom menu bar, going to MIDI Settings, going to 'Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions', and checking the assignments there.  If I understand you correctly, you want MIDI CC 1 to be assigned to the pedal function 'Set expression pedal value', and you want to make sure its not assigned to any other parameter as well.

         

         

        I’m using the iPhone control app, but I couldn’t access rcv.ctl that way, so I used the H9 MIDI menu for that.

        So, if I want the expression pedal on MIDI CC1, I don’t want any other parameters on CC 1?

        That may be where I’m screwing up. Is there a way to reset the factory MIDI settings?

        Show More...
        Show Less...
    • #148453
      gkellum
      Member

      You can reset the H9s system settings by powering it up with the right footswitch and the HotKnob switch pressed (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9).

      You should be able to assign the MIDI CC to the expression pedal on the iPhone as well using the steps I described above.  Those screens are in the phone version of the app too.

    • #148454
      jphoyt
      Member

      I went into the MIDI settings and set the expression pedal value to MIDI CC 1.

      When I select a preset, do I have to set something else up to use the pedal?

      • #148455
        nickrose
        Moderator
        Eventide Staff
        jphoyt wrote:
        I went into the MIDI settings and set the expression pedal value to MIDI CC 1. When I select a preset, do I have to set something else up to use the pedal?

        You have to be sure that whatever MIDI pedal you are using is sending on CC1. You also have to make sure that its channel matches that set on the H9 (or, to makethings easier, set the H9 RCV.CH to OMNI).

         

      • #148456
        jphoyt
        Member
        nickrose wrote:
        jphoyt wrote:
        I went into the MIDI settings and set the expression pedal value to MIDI CC 1. When I select a preset, do I have to set something else up to use the pedal?

        You have to be sure that whatever MIDI pedal you are using is sending on CC1. You also have to make sure that its channel matches that set on the H9 (or, to makethings easier, set the H9 RCV.CH to OMNI).

         

        I do have it set to OMNI and the expression pedal value is set to MIDI CC 1 on the Switch Doctor. At one point I could toggle between active/bypass with the expression pedal, but I’m not sure what I did to make that happen.

        Now I tried changing the switch doctor to CC 2 for the expression pedal and on the H9 because I thought the preset switching on CC 1 was screwing it up, but it’s still not working.

    • #148457
      jphoyt
      Member

      But I’m still not getting anything

    • #148461
      gkellum
      Member

      Well, one thing to be aware of is that some manufacturers number MIDI messages starting at 0 and others starting at 1.  So, it could be that you're dealing with an off by one error.

      If that isn't the issue, if I were you, I'd connect the Switch Doctor to a computer to double check what values it is sending.  On Mac I'd use MIDI Monitor, and on Windows I'd use MIDI Ox.  They're both free apps…

      • #148462
        jphoyt
        Member
        gkellum wrote:

        Well, one thing to be aware of is that some manufacturers number MIDI messages starting at 0 and others starting at 1.  So, it could be that you're dealing with an off by one error.

        If that isn't the issue, if I were you, I'd connect the Switch Doctor to a computer to double check what values it is sending.  On Mac I'd use MIDI Monitor, and on Windows I'd use MIDI Ox.  They're both free apps…

        Well, the actual MIDI mesaages sent on the Switch Doctor are 0-127 even though they’re displayed as 1-128.

        Does that mean that if the expression value on the H9 is set at MIDI CC2 it needs to be set as MIDI CC2 on the Switch Doctor?

      • #148463
        gkellum
        Member

        [/quote] Well, the actual MIDI mesaages sent on the Switch Doctor are 0-127 even though they’re displayed as 1-128. Does that mean that if the expression value on the H9 is set at MIDI CC2 it needs to be set as MIDI CC2 on the Switch Doctor?[/quote]

        If the Switch Doctor is supposed to be sending on CC2 and the H9 isn't reacting to it when you set its expression pedal CC2, then I'd try setting the H9 to CC1 or CC3 to see if you get something there.

        There's also a learn mode on the H9 itself as it mentions on page 37 of the manual, but to use that, you'll have to get into the H9s system mode:

        https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/H9-UserGuide.pdf

    • #148464
      jphoyt
      Member

      And it recogniz d the pedal finally on CC 7. I’m really confused, but now the pedal is working. Thanks for all your help.

      Now to figure out how to set up my presets, lol…

      Thanks again!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.