Expression pedals – any one better than the other?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Expression pedals – any one better than the other?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      thejay

I am looking to get an expression pedal for my Factor pedals and was wondering if one was better than another. Any suggestions or advice?

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi thejay,  from http://www.eventide.com/~/media/Files/Audio%20Support/TimeFactor/Everyone/TimeFactor_FAQ_7%2008.ashx#11:

Which Expression Pedals are supported?
      Our Stompboxes will work with any Expression Pedal that is a simple resistive load (potentiometer) with a max value of 25kOhms. For the best performance we recommend the Ernie Ball VP Jr. 25k. Connect the Output to the Eventide Stompbox Expression Pedal Input. We have also had success with the M-Audio MGear EX.P Expression Pedal.

Thanks!

thejay

Yes, I have seen that but I was curious if anyone uses anything else. I already pulled the trigger and the Ernie Ball is on it's way Big Smile

dgervasi
      Participant

I use both the Roland EV-5 (which has a 10K B pot) and a random volume pedal (also a 10K B pot) that I soldered an extra jack to. Anything that introduces a variable resistor (potentiometer) between the Tip and Sleeve on a 1/4" audio jack will do it.

guitaraddict

I've tried a couple diff ones, old Boss volume pedals, Roland EV-5, and indeed the Ernie Ball seems to work the smoothest and feels natural and great in use (as it does for most uses…). About to get the Digitech 3-switch to really get all all functions for live perf.

jcshirke
      Participant

Has anyone used the Ernie Ball (or Boss) expression pedal when it is not plugged directly into an Eventide stompbox directly? In other words, you are plugging it into your MIDI controller exp. pedal input instead. This is a very important issue for me, so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jeff

jcshirke
      Participant

p.s. The Ernie Ball pedal description says that it is for use with active electronics (pickups). Will it work just as well with passive pickups??

wallacearnold
      Participant

The resistance is too low in the active EB footpedal for it to "work well" in a normal setup – you need something a bit higher.

wallacearnold
      Participant

sorry pressed wrong forum button – did not mean to suggest jcshirke as an answer

mikefont69
      Participant

I believe that I am going to go with the Mission Engineering EP-1R expression pedal. It has a 20kohm pot and a reverse polarity switch. It looks to be just as sturdy as a Vox or Dunlop wah, where the M-Audio and Ernie Ball VP pedals seems to be too "flimsy" to me

deltasphere

Hi, i just get my EvPiFa and i bought an expression pedal with high imp.

I took the Boss fv500H which is a volume pedal for guitar and get an expression out on it.

Less expansive than EBall pedals and same beefy made.

You can setup the pedal smooth back of the pedal with a screwdriver.

It works like a charm for me.

Hope it helps

blowback

Boss FV-500 in whatever flavor ,smokes the EB as far as build quality and smooth action

deltasphere

Well, i dont know the EB, i buy this brand as guitar strings for the moment and i know StingRay Bass.I bought at the beginning of the year Boss gear as the FS6 dual footswitch, i and like the way it is, i mean its metal part and the buttons and electronic seems strong and well done, so i stayed on this heavy volume pedal to keep it longer in the life time.

I am on the way to buy Eventide eclipse and id like to know if the roland FC300 is good to use it.

I use an elevenrack too, and i'd like to loop the eclipse in it for live gigs, i hope it could fit as what i have in mind 😉 And now with the pitchfactor i'll be able to control the eclipse too.

If someone got any suggestions for a comfortable FootController for eclipse…

thxIdea

BLooDRuST

I'm new to expression pedals… So, does the Boss FV-500H work as well as the Ernie Ball with the Pitchfactor as an expression pedal? Thanks.

mpovoden

I listened to the recommendations of the moderators, picked up an EB VR-Jr.25k and it works perfectly well.  No issues, it's not expensive, and it does exactly what it's supposed to do.
      Mo

caveman
      Participant

I had used the Roland EV5 and the M-audio expression pedals, with results from both about the same.  Switched to the ernie ball and found the degree of control and stability is much better. When you take your foot off, it stays where it is without being accidentally nudged.. when you want to change settings, you can feel some tactile resistance there to gauge your travel.  Highly recommend this ernie ball 6181 Vp Jr. Active.

I too use the Ernie Ball 25k Volume Pedal and it works perfect.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.