Factor – Inconsistent MIDI Clock

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Factor – Inconsistent MIDI Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dtirer

I'm using an Eventide Pitchfactor to store presets of tempos.  It's setup to send out MIDI clock.

What I do is, I send the MIDi clock out to some of the MIDI Solutions products to convert the MIDI clock, to 'tap' relays that an analog delay with a remtoe tap jack would understand.

What I've found is, the analog delay, while receiving tempo, tends to 'modulate' a lot.  I think it's because it's receiving wavery MIDI clock from the PitchFactor.  As such, its making the analog delay wavery, and modulated.

Has anyone noticed anything like this?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This is a general MIDIclock problem. Most MIDIclock outputs (including PF) have quite a lot of jitter on them. Computers are usually worse. This is very hard for most MIDIclock receivers (including PF) to handle – they have varying degrees of success. I don't know of a solution to this – in your case you probably need to speak to the good people at MIDI Solutions (they can contact me for details of our MIDIclock out mechanism if they need – but it's pretty standard).

Our H8000 has dedicated hardware for MIDIclock generation, so its output is almost jitter free.

dtirer

ah i see.  That's unfortunate, as I purchased the Eventides for the purpose of using the MIDI clock.  But it seems you can't really use the MIDI clock if it's not even in time….

MIDI solutions as of now, doesn't have a solution for this really. 

dtirer

The Eventides have a Clock Filter setting for receiving MIDI clock.  Would it not be possible to do a similar thing for sending MIDI clock as well? To filter its own clock that it sending?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sadly not – the input filter is a true lowpass filter on a changing numerical value – the output is a sequence of pulses – it is the timing that is the issue.

You really will have this issue with almost any MIDIclock generator (not just us) – if it does not work for you you'll have to find another way. Sorry.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.