Factor Librarian working w/ 3.0??

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Factor Librarian working w/ 3.0??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      krcassid

I've been checking back every few weeks praying for the promised update to make my factor pedals work w/ librarian.  I've not seen anything but today noticed that there are no longer notes  that the 2 are NOT compatible (as there was)   Am I missing something?

I see there is a more recent 3.0 Beta (16).

Is it possible it works now or is this just wishful thinking?

davidkaeser
      Participant

Yeeeees !!!! It works ! Thanks Eventide !!!!

krcassid

Which factors have you tried?  I have Mod & Time.  I understood that there might be issues w/ 1 and not w/ another…

Can we get confirmation of this from Eventide?

timothyhill

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!

zikamuricpe

New Librarian? Working? Where is the official announcement? Eventide?

davidkaeser
      Participant

My point of view :

1) Yes   2) Yes  3) Not so official because it's still a BETA ! 4) Yes !

Again Thanks Eventide ! :-))) 

krcassid

I should be clear that my OP above was speculation only.  I have not tried to use FactorLib w/ 3.0.  I only noted that warnings of incompatibility seemed to have disappeared on download pages of both 3.0 Beta and FactorLib.  I will try it myself as soon as I can.  But, I would think (given all the pleading) that Eventide would have made some comment confirming/ denying. 

In the absence of confirmation from Eventide, my assumption is that it does not work.

timothyhill

I've tried it with the TF and PF, all V3b16. Will try it with MF and Space later. It appears to be working just fine. It may not be perfect, it is still beta, but it's definitely a huge step in the right direction.

I would assume that you'd need to upgrade V3b1 with V3b16, but that may or may not be the case.

krcassid

timothyhill:

I would assume that you'd need to upgrade V3b1 with V3b16, but that may or may not be the case.

I'm concerned that upgrading to V3 (16) will wipe out all the work I've so carefully done (and been unable to backup w/o Librarian).  One would hope that, if it works, it will work with 3.  If not, it seems like those of us who continued to work in anticipation of a working librarian would be screwed, right?  No way to backup 3 presets an, if you install 3 (16), your presets are history.  I know there are other ways (Sysex) to backup but these won't easily help me restore all my hard work. 

PLEASE EVENTIDE:  Can you shed some light on the situation?  Do we have a working librarian or not?  Is it compatible w/ 3.0 or must you upgrade to 3.16?

Thx!

timothyhill

While there are some minor changes due to updates to parameters in V3b16, all of my V3b1 presets were still there after updating to V3b16. I did have to make a few (very) minor changes, but nothing major. So, your presets *should* be safe. For insurance, I had all mine written out on paper (actually a MS Excel spreadsheet… I uploaded a template for this to the preset sharing thread, if anyone's interested).

Technically, there may have been some changes to the pedal's operating system necessary for the new version of FactorLib to work. I really don't know, but I could see it going either way. Still no official word from Eventide on this, though…

achaput

It is recommended that you update to 3.0.0[16]. It fixes a few bugs discovered during the Public Beta period.

You can back up your presets one by one over sysex using the "Preset" sysex dump option.

When you use "Preset" it will dump only the currently loaded preset. You can use sysex or MIDIOX to receive the dump.

timothyhill

Thank again, Alan!! That's really good information to know… especially the links for Sysex and MIDIOX.

krcassid

I understand that.  But, backing up 100 presets 1 x 1 and then trying to reinstall using a utility I don't use is not what I had in mind. 

Obviously, if I can backup using 3.0 and FactorLib, this would be a HUGE help.  Can we get confirmation whether this will work?

zikamuricpe

I am a guitarist and Factors are stomp boxes made for guitarists. For me, the best way to "understand" a preset is to actually see the knob positions – like we guitarists do with our tube amps and other analog gear. Since that is not possible with Factors for obvious reasons, I think a graphical software editor would be a nice solution. Nothing fancy – a simple three-digit window for each knob would do the job! I would appreciate that much much more than the abillity to use FactorLib for backup. Because I already have a MIDI dump for that!

I understand that new version of FactorLib is NOT released yet. Fine. Eventide, take your time – but please don't give us just a version of FactorLib that is compatible with v3 software. Please provide us a great new librarian/editor which will be a huge step forward in exploring the endless possibilities of your amazing pedals.

timothyhill

I don't think there's any reason you couldn't try… I mean, if FactorLib 1.8 can read the data from the pedal, that's all you need, right? If it doesn't work, it's not going to write anything to your pedal, it just won't connect.

krcassid

I downloaded FactorLib 1.8 to Win 7.

I backed up my TF presets using 3.0 but could not download edited version back to 3.0 TF (TF Reads BAD!!").  So, I updated to TF 3.16 and it did not seem to chaange any presets.  Everything seems good!

However, I could NOT reload my 3.0 presets (Factory Lib now says they are "unknown"). I'm thankful that 3.16 did not change my presets or I'd be really screwed since most f mine are custom.  Good news is that both factory and custom presets seem fine.  Bad news is that my backed up presets (which were on TF anyway) will not load.

Moral of story from my perspective.  Do NOT update if you have banks of saved (on computer) presets you need access to.  You may not be able to read them.  But, from my experience, presets on device are good.

It seems like there may be an issue with FactorLib 1.8 "reading" 3.0 presets saved to disk.

Will try MF next.  This will be hairy as I did not upgrade my MF  to 3.0 fearing issues.  So, these will be 2.4 presets on a box being upgraded to 3.16.  I will report back.

Best advice I have seen: if you have stuff you  can't lose, write it down.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.