FINALLY!! PitchFactor!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes FINALLY!! PitchFactor!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      caveman
      Participant

So when, pray when, is this thing shipping!!  This is a godsend to those of us who drag around an H3000 just for the odd shift effect once in a while!!

beagle

I can't wait!  :-p

chrislaney

Yes! a date would be real nice because I want one not now but "RIGHTNOW!!" this will put my end of a search for a sub for my 910 and 949.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

PitchFactor is in the final test stage and is expected to ship in March. As is typical with a new product, supplies may be limited at first.

How much the PitchFactor?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Best ask at your friendly neighborhood music store – they probably won't know yet, but it will get them thinking.

GtrWiz

Will it be able to handle chords like a POG?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Some algorithms handle chords, some are monophonic. You need to play with one to understand it.

steinwand

care to enlighten us humble users a little more …

which algorithms handle chords ….

steinwand

anybody?

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Guys,

All the algs in PitchFactor handle guitar chords pretty well except Synthonizer which is a mono-synth and Octaver which is based on old school analog octavers which are by definition monophonic. The one caveat is that complex chords can sometimes confuse the pitch tracking in Diatonic and Quadravox. It works pretty well for most common chords, but if your trying to screw it up, you can. The best solution for this is to use HarModulator or PitchFlex which can be explicitly set to a given interval (eg. m3rd, M3rd, …).

We did a fair amount of work improving the pitch tracking for this product and are currently porting that to the H8000 and Eclipse. It would be fair to say this product has the best pitch tracking of anything we've ever released.

beagle

PitchFactor follows only 440Hz tuning or accept another rate?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi,

So do we get EHX HOG/POG style effects?

This is a big question for me as I would like the PF to replace my POG.

Cheers

BMF

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Good point. It doesn't, but it will !!

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Again,

My gut reaction would be to say that the PitchFactor will have Eventide style effects, but I'll try to answer the question more directly.

Quadravox will allow you to do -1 octave, +1 octave, and +2 octaves simultaneously; PitchFlex will allow you to do 2 voices of any of the above combinations and add a filter, and HarModulator will allow you to do 2 voices of the above combinations with detune.  These effects should all do chords but will sound more like pitch shifted guitar, alternatively synthonizer can be set up to do a very convincing organ sound, but it is monphonic.

So it can do many of the things the POG can do, however it's not an attempt to emulate or copy that pedal.  It's much more bringing the things we know how to do best into a stompbox and maybe even to get artistic and push the envelope a little bit.

I hope that answers your question, if you have a more specific setting you're looking for I can try to answer that for you.

PS. I think Nick's previous answer was in regard to the A440 tuning thing, we just added it to our feature request list and should be able to get it in there.

John01W

Great news on this(porting these pitch tracking updates to the Eclipse, I'm very excited about this and the pitchfactor which I will probably get to go along side my Eclipse)
      Thanks Eventide;)

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

DGillespie:

Hi Again,

My gut reaction would be to say that the PitchFactor will have Eventide style effects, but I'll try to answer the question more directly.

Quadravox will allow you to do -1 octave, +1 octave, and +2 octaves simultaneously; PitchFlex will allow you to do 2 voices of any of the above combinations and add a filter, and HarModulator will allow you to do 2 voices of the above combinations with detune.  These effects should all do chords but will sound more like pitch shifted guitar, alternatively synthonizer can be set up to do a very convincing organ sound, but it is monphonic.

So it can do many of the things the POG can do, however it's not an attempt to emulate or copy that pedal.  It's much more bringing the things we know how to do best into a stompbox and maybe even to get artistic and push the envelope a little bit.

I hope that answers your question, if you have a more specific setting you're looking for I can try to answer that for you.

PS. I think Nick's previous answer was in regard to the A440 tuning thing, we just added it to our feature request list and should be able to get it in there.

Great, thanks.

Big Smile

looking forward to getting one

ech0es

Hello

I would like to know when you wrote :

All the algs in PitchFactor handle guitar chords pretty well except
      Synthonizer which is a mono-synth and Octaver which is based on old
      school analog octavers
      which are by definition monophonic.

What is the "Old school analog octavers" ? Can tou give me example ?

thanks!

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

I assume they are talking about things like the Boss OC-3 (check out the Boss Site for demos – though this is a modern version)ie the effect plays an octave below what you are playing.

the original octavers did not like chords at all, so they were used for faux bass lines and for adding real depth to bass.

Cheers

BMF

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi,

By old school analog octavers I mean pedals like the Boss OC-2 or the EH Octave Multiplexer. These pedals use a flip-flop to covert the guitar input into a square wave an octave below the input pitch, then use a filter a filter to get rid of the square waves upper harmonics. It sounds cool, but the problem is that since the flip flot changes state every time the signal goes from – to + when it sees multiple tones at the same time what comes out sounds like noise.

That sound is actually popular in experimental noise music, and I believe in sludge metal, but it doesn't qualify as polyphonic. In fact I would say that turning everything on the octaver effect all the way up and strumming a chord has the distinct sound of a bomb going off -> fading into a guitar chord.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

grrr, could not wait any longer …. just placed a pre order on one! now all I have to do is wait 🙁

caveman
      Participant

Ok, it's almost march.. any arrivals into consumer hands yet?

pbone

Zzounds reports having them being available on the 25th. You can preorder them. I'll definitely be buying one when I scoop up the bones! Yay!

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

uk supplier told me week commencing 16th of march.

dunno how true that is though

klangfarben9

So like many I've been waiting for a powerful pedal sized pitch processor (p pun intented) for almost a decade now, and am really hoping this can replace some rack gear of mine. Since this thread covers some of the Pitchfactors features I'm hoping someone from Eventide (DGillespie?) can help answer some questions of mine:

1) Will Pitchfactor allow Custom Scales as on H3000 and Digitech IPS/DHP units, where user can select the generated harmonies (of two or more voices) for all input notes across the chromatic scale?

2) Will Pitchfactors HarPeggiator algorithm be similarly equipped, where users can select the intervals and patterns for Arpeggiator sequences, and can these be set per input note or via key? What possiblities are there in terms of rhythmic variations and tempo?

3) Will the Synthonizer algorithm come with the choice of different oscillator waves and glide settings, or will these be preset?

4) Will Pitchfactor process inputs as true stereo, so that it will behave as though it were two indepedent mono processors?

5) Will the manual (which I imagine will reveal most of the answers to the questions above!) be made available for viewing/downloading soon?

Thanks in advance, I am salivating over this pedal but I really need more info on its deeper editing features before can part with my other units!

dan 

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Anyone got their PitchFactor yet?

I was told a while back that it was this week, just called my supplier and was told it had slipped by 2 weeks 🙁

This is in the UK, so I assume we will be behind the US in getting them

Cheers

BMF

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Dan,

here are some answers to the specific questions you ask:

1. Unfortunately no, because of the form factor and user interface of the pedal we didn't include custom scales in the PitchFactor.  It does still exist in the Eclipse and H7600, however.

2. HarPeggiator allows you to select from a 26 different arpeggios, a number of 20 different sequences, and a 20 different effects sequences.  The combination of these 3 choices will give you over 11,000 unique variations for each voice.

3. The synthonizer has a fair amount of control over the sounds you can create with it.  It actually has an additive synthesizer which sounds similar to an organ for which you can set the attack time, the weights of all the additive components (like using the drawbars on a B3) and the wave shape which allows you to select a sine wave, triangle wave, or sawtooth wave.  It also has a subtractive synth which allows you to blend between 3 different octaves, control the attack time of the filter, and control the sweep of the filter.  You can get a fairly wide range of sounds out of it.

4. Yes, PitchFactor can be set up as a true stereo processor.

5. It should be, let me ask some of my associates and I'm sure we'll put it up if it's not already.

Dan

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi badmelonfarmer (love the name btw),

The first PitchFactors shipped out the door on Monday and from what I've heard all the outstanding orders will ship over the next several weeks.

Dan

luca9583
      Participant

Hi

I'm also based in the UK and was told by HHB, the principal distributor of Eventide products in the UK, that the UK release has now been pushed back to 13th April 2009

Is this correct? 

Luca 

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

nooooooooooooooo[:'(]

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm told that the first PFs for HHB are being shipped this week.

They are probably just allowing for shipping, Customs, handling etc, and not wanting to disappoint anyone.

jcshirke
      Participant

Dan,

You said that you guys are currently porting the pitch tracking of PitchFactor over to the H8000 and the Eclipse. I have the original H8000, not H8000FW. Will I be able to get the pitch tracking update on my unit as well? Or is this only going to be for H8000FW users?

Is there any way to get a Leslie/Rotary algorithm in the Eclipse sometime too? I've been hoping that would get ported over to the Eclipse from ModFactor.

Thanks,

Jeff

caveman
      Participant

Well,mine arrived and I can only say remarkable things about it.  The tracking is quicker and more accurate than the old H3000 series.  They crystals algorithm (reverse reverb & pitch shift) is dead on.  The unexpected surprises were the pitchflex (whammy) and the harpeggiator.   If the delay were a bit longer than 500 ms in the microshift it would be nice,  and the support of user scales would be useful, but otherwise the overall the first impression is spectacular.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

MAN!! I want to have a play with one soooo bad!

Can't you guys make the ship go any faster that is bringing them to the UK?

Cheers

BMF

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

not sure if you guys haveseen it, but the good dude blood5150, from TheGearPage has posted a couple of vids on youtube.

Cheers

BMF

blood5150

Thats me….

I put up a 2nd one as well the other day….. enjoy gentlemen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KE4QyzsJ8&feature=channel_page

moleskine

hey blood5150 – thanx for the great videos!

It would also be great to see a video of you tweaking some of the sounds to see and hear different possibilities of each setting on the PF!

thanx,

m.

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.