Flanger sounds from a PF

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Flanger sounds from a PF

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      hywelg

In the basence of a working search function can anyone advise how to get s slow deep flanger sound from a PF?

Thanks

hywelg

Absence is what I meant.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      how to get s slow deep flanger sound from a PF?

In the strictest sense, a flanger has a very short delay time modulated by an LFO as a minimum.  The PitchFactor can produce all kinds of "flanger-like" sounds using pitch shift.  The MicroPitch, H910/H949, and HarModulator algorithms excel at this.  In fact, you can get the slight pitch differences using most any mode.  But you don't really get rate control over delay modulation like you would in a true flanger.

Here's a very simple, "unintentional slow flanger" sound that I like, using the H910/H949.  I think that the delay differences come from the pitch processing stages (even though both are at unison and 0 ms.).

Algorithm:  H910/H949

Tempo:  Off

Mix:  50% (Use an EXP pedal 0%-50% as a "depth" control).

Pitch Mix:  A10 + B10

Pitch A:   A:1.000

Pitch B:   B:1.000

Delay A:  0 ms.

Delay B:  0 ms.

Depth/Key:  MODERN

Speed/Scale:  NORMAL -or- MICRO

[Note: Changing this knob changes your Pitch scaling settings)]

Xnob & Ynob: 50% moderate flange. 75% – intense.

90% – intense metallic. 100% – over-the-top runaway oscillation.

Of course, you can increase both delay times for more depth and a change in tonality.  Try one Delay time slightly offset from the other [Example: Delay A: 7 ms.  Delay B: 15 ms.].  Conventional wisdom puts flanging between 0-10 ms.  You can go into the chorusing range with this preset [20 ms.], but I wouldn't go much past doubling [30-35 ms.].  The "bending' starts to get overwhelming, and you'll start to hear the discrete echoes in your delay lines.

In general, when I increase the average delay times in this preset [Delay A & Delay B], I tend to decrease both feedback controls [Xnob & Ynob].  Now – if you're not strictly.looking for true flanging – we can take that route by using the pitch shifters for alternative chorusing.

hywelg

Thanks for that. Will probably be sufficient for my needs even though its not exactly what is required for the song, but I can't justify a new pedal just to play one cover version of Dakota. Or can I?

Think I probably need to get an MF, it will probably get more use than my PF now I'm in a band with two guitarists.

I also got something useable from my TF using the band delay. Sounds a bit too much like an autowah but its not bad.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      Will probably be sufficient for my needs even though its not exactly what is required for the song … one cover version of Dakota.

You might get a little more "depth" out of the preset by changing the Pitch knobs a few cents [Pitch A – A:0.999 / Pitch B – B:1.001].  It still has the problem of no direct control over the sweep rate.  I tried different combinations of using the expression pedal as a manual LFO over the delay times themselves.  But there's that little crossfade when sweeping delay times that disrupts the clean sweep (an advantage in most situations, though).

Quote:
      I also got something useable from my TF using the band delay. Sounds a bit too much like an autowah but its not bad.

Care to post the settings?

hywelg

Problem solved. Bought a ModfactorBig Smile

hywelg

brock:

Care to post the settings?

I will just as soon as I get a minuteSmile

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.