Freeze Pedal Simulations

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Freeze Pedal Simulations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      brock
      Participant

Many of the reverb, delay, or H9 Special algorithms can manage infinite or frozen reverb:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/24422#comment-24422

I was looking for more of a freeze pedal-type simulation; de-emphasizing the reverb component.    To emulate the momentary switch mechanics, bind an external aux switch to toggle between the expression pedal extremes [ “Set expression pedal value (aka HotSwitch value)” in H9 Control ].  That’ll behave like HotSwitch programming, but without the double-tap dancing & latching.

You can use any number of algorithms to achieve similar results.  Why not ModEchoVerb?  Mirroring the freeze-style pedal, the upper toggle position is FAST, for instantaneous on & off by footswitch.  This H9 equivalent is somewhat different; it uses INF response.  A FREEZE selection will work, but I like the stronger signal and note layering that an INF setting provides.

Expression Pedal Heel:  DECAY  0.05 S

Expression Pedal Toe:    DECAY  INF

HotSwitch OFF:  FLANGR MIX  0

HotSwitch ON:    FLANGR MIX  100

Holding the momentary Aux Switch initiates the freeze, and releasing it erases the hold buffer.

The HotSwitch is configured to kick in a flanger over both the dry & processed (frozen) input.

KCStratman
      Participant

Cool! Freezing, in fact. Thanks for another great tool in the arsenal of H9 effects!

brock
      Participant

I use my dedicated freeze pedal all the time, at all of its FAST, SLOW, and LATCH positions.  It’s probably irreplaceable in my rig (except by that pedal that followed it up).

But an H9 simulation can go so, so much further.  Algorithm dependent, I can selectively apply & overlay other effects on the frozen processing, and all within a single unit.  Gear the H9 ‘freeze’ algo choice to the added FX processing desired.  Using something like SpaceTime, that’s an extra-versatile approach.

Take the FAST emulation above (instant-on / instant-off), and snap in freeze (via the Parallel VERB LVL and INF DECAY).  At the same time, bring up some preset modulation settings and dual bouncing delays by shifting the main MIX.   When the Aux Switch is released, everything goes front-and-center with (nearly) 100% dry input.

As a bonus, SpaceTime makes it easy to illustrate the effect routing and switch action.  First, with the Aux Switch pressed [expression pedal full toe  =  freeze + effects]:

Expression Pedal Toe  (Aux Switch to EXP PED / HotKnob):  MIX  50  VERB LVL  Parallel 100  DECAY  INF

And when the Aux Switch is released, the freeze buffer gets truncated.  MIX stops the mod & time-based effects dead in their tracks.  This is the ‘normal’ position of the switch.  Input signal is dry, with some pass-through audio from the effects routing.

Expression Pedal Heel  (Aux Switch to EXP PED / HotKnob):  MIX  0  VERB LVL  Parallel 0  DECAY  1/16t

But … that additional effects processing remains active in the background, so it opens up some performance options with the momentary Aux Switch.  Double-tapping might bring up a mod+delay emphasis, with nearly inaudible freeze.  Active switching overlaps dry input with previously frozen notes and echo.  The HotSwitch here is a fail-safe.  It snaps MIX 0 at Off to MIX 50 at On, for modulation and delay without freezing.  A tap on the Aux Switch resets the HotSwitch latch back to (an equivalent) Off setting.

brock
      Participant

There’s no perfect way to emulate the SLOW freeze variations in the H9.  The DynaVerb algorithm comes closest, with fine control over envelope attack and release times.  In the dedicated freeze pedal, the middle SLOW toggle position is shaped offline by the SLOW-SPEED INITIALIZATION procedure:

• TOG1  (Up)         Fade-In  200 mS  Fade-Out  400 mS
      • TOG2  (Middle)  Fade-In  200 mS  Fade-Out  1.0 S
      • TOG3  (Down)    Fade-in  800 mS  Fade-Out  3.2 S

Expression Pedal Heel:  DECAY  20.0 S

Expression Pedal Toe:   DECAY  FREEZE

HotSwitch Off:  GATED

HotSwitch On:  OMNI-RATIO  INF

Expression Pedal Heel:  DECAY  20.0 S

Expression Pedal Toe:    DECAY  FREEZE

HotSwitch Off:  GATED

Expression Pedal Heel:  DECAY  5.0 S

Expression Pedal Toe:   DECAY  FREEZE

HotSwitch Off:  OMNI-RATIO  0.10

These three envelope ‘attack’ shapes will trigger on note input (above the THRESHOLD setting).  The freeze will hold until the signal drops below THRESHOLD, then RELEASE over varying lengths of time.  For best results, it’s critical to adjust the THRESHOLD level to your input levels & playing style.

Here, the Aux Switch -> Expression triggers will operate alongside the automated EG response.  The ‘normal’ position will gate or expand on the input-sensitive enveloping.  Holding the momentary Aux Switch initiates a long freeze override.  HotSwitch is programmed to introduce infinite compression into the mix.

brock
      Participant

That freeze-type pedal features a LATCH mode:  Tap the switch to sample, and the frozen buffer will hold.  Tap the switch again, and the buffer is cleared.   At that same instant, the sample window opens back up for the next sustained note.  In the H9, that’ll mean inverting the switch action over the expression pedal extremes.

For a LATCH emulation, the ‘normal’ Aux Switch position is set to FREEZE.  Holding the Aux Switch clears the current note, and releasing the switch samples the next note / chord.  Rapid taps will back down the frozen level. For a return to dry input without FREEZE, hold down the Aux Switch for a few seconds (briefly mute your input).

Expression Pedal Heel:  DECAY  FREEZE

Expression Pedal Toe:   DECAY  4.00 S

HotSwitch Off:  MOD AMT  0

HotSwitch On:  MOD AMT  35

The HotSwitch programming brings in some of that luscious modulation in series with everything else.

brock
      Participant

Another H9 -exclusive technique combines more than one freeze-pedal feature within the same preset.  For example, a hybrid of the LATCH note switch action, along with the SLOW mode envelope shaping.  ‘Dynamic reversal’ in the Omnipressor produces some very expressive phrasing, and it’s controlled by your input.

The interaction between FREEZE switching and playing dynamics will blend through auto-accompaniment, latched freeze, small space reverb, and attack / release fades.  Create a keyboard or string section background on-the-fly.  Loud signals can duck the FREEZE while it sustains underneath.  Softer notes will not affect it.

Expression Pedal Toe:   DECAY  1.0 S

HotSwitch OFF:  LOW-LEVEL  50  HIGH-LEVEL  -35  SIDECHAIN  IN10 + RV 0

HotSwitch ON:   LOW-LEVEL  -50  HIGH-LEVEL  75  SIDECHAIN  IN 0 + RV10

The HotSwitch remaps equalization, and adds some randomness to the freeze configuration [Ducking defeated].

This next preset introduces dynamics in a different way.  It combines freeze latching of an inverse decay reverb, with ‘breathing’ delay loops and resonant shelving filters. Plus everything is bathed in some shallow modulation.

The inverse reverb buildup is ‘sampled’ when you release the Aux Switch (back to FREEZE).  So the dynamic level of the frozen signal is determined by exactly when Aux=OFF.   Use that to ‘ride’ the freeze levels.  FEEDBACK is set to 75 when Aux=ON, so it’ll take a fairly long Aux Switch hold to ‘erase’  the freeze buffer contents.

Expression Pedal Heel:  FEEDBACK  FREEZE

Expression Pedal Toe:   FEEDBACK  75

HotSwitch OFF:  PRE-DELAY  2000 mS

HotSwitch ON:   PRE-DELAY  20 mS

The HotSwitch drastically cuts the delay time inside the regeneration.  This changes the behavior to a more ‘normal’ freeze emulation, with less inversion, looping, and release time.  Actually, not all that normal, because all that BLACKHOLE processing creates a monstrous freeze.  Use this configuration to make a strong statement.

shikawkee
        Participant
        brock wrote:

Another H9 -exclusive technique combines more than one freeze-pedal feature within the same preset.  For example, a hybrid of the LATCH note switch action, along with the SLOW mode envelope shaping.  ‘Dynamic reversal’ in the Omnipressor produces some very expressive phrasing, and it’s controlled by your input.

The interaction between FREEZE switching and playing dynamics will blend through auto-accompaniment, latched freeze, small space reverb, and attack / release fades.  Create a keyboard or string section background on-the-fly.  Loud signals can duck the FREEZE while it sustains underneath.  Softer notes will not affect it.

Expression Pedal Toe:   DECAY  1.0 S

HotSwitch OFF:  LOW-LEVEL  50  HIGH-LEVEL  -35  SIDECHAIN  IN10 + RV 0

HotSwitch ON:   LOW-LEVEL  -50  HIGH-LEVEL  75  SIDECHAIN  IN 0 + RV10

The HotSwitch remaps equalization, and adds some randomness to the freeze configuration [Ducking defeated].

This next preset introduces dynamics in a different way.  It combines freeze latching of an inverse decay reverb, with ‘breathing’ delay loops and resonant shelving filters. Plus everything is bathed in some shallow modulation.

The inverse reverb buildup is ‘sampled’ when you release the Aux Switch (back to FREEZE).  So the dynamic level of the frozen signal is determined by exactly when Aux=OFF.   Use that to ‘ride’ the freeze levels.  FEEDBACK is set to 75 when Aux=ON, so it’ll take a fairly long Aux Switch hold to ‘erase’  the freeze buffer contents.

Expression Pedal Heel:  FEEDBACK  FREEZE

Expression Pedal Toe:   FEEDBACK  75

HotSwitch OFF:  PRE-DELAY  2000 mS

HotSwitch ON:   PRE-DELAY  20 mS

The HotSwitch drastically cuts the delay time inside the regeneration.  This changes the behavior to a more ‘normal’ freeze emulation, with less inversion, looping, and release time.  Actually, not all that normal, because all that BLACKHOLE processing creates a monstrous freeze.  Use this configuration to make a strong statement.

Man, I’ve been trying to recreate this Brock but when I hit the hotswitch in my app the threshold keeps jumping from -36 to 0 every time.  Any tips?  Care to share the two freeze/hold presets via email?

Thanks,

Ed

brock
        Participant
        shikawkee wrote:
        … Man, I’ve been trying to recreate this Brock but when I hit the hotswitch in my app the threshold keeps jumping from -36 to 0 every time.  Any tips …

Sometimes, there’s some kind of flaky parameter retention in the HotSwitch programming.  It seems to be the HotSwitch values stored from whatever preset you started with [as a base patch template].

If I see that behavior (very often, but not always), I usually take this tactic:

• Set up the HotSwitch to be programmed.
        • Swing the offending parameter fully clockwise to counterclockwise a few times.
        • Leave it at one extreme or the other.
        • Save the preset (not necessarily at the final form).
        • Program the HotSwitch to its final desired form.
        • Save it again (immediately).
        • Remove it from the buffer memory (with any other preset).
        • Reload the target preset again.

I don’t know why that works to wake up the preset, but it does.  Not all of those steps are needed, all of the time.  I’d say the parameter swings to the extremes, and the 2nd save process are essential components.

If you save it a second time, but don’t reload the preset, you’ll often see the same rogue parameter behavior (until the next preset load).  I’ll see where I have those presets archived for testing / preset sharing.

I’m not the most organized with these conceptual presets.  Might be easier to program them from scratch.

brock’s distant memory wrote:
        I used to have some kind of shortcut for this; using the expression pedal programming to program the HotSwitch.  Or maybe that scenario was reversed.  I’ll check back into it when I get the chance.

shikawkee
        Participant
        brock wrote:

shikawkee wrote:
        … Man, I’ve been trying to recreate this Brock but when I hit the hotswitch in my app the threshold keeps jumping from -36 to 0 every time.  Any tips …

Sometimes, there’s some kind of flaky parameter retention in the HotSwitch programming.  It seems to be the HotSwitch values stored from whatever preset you started with [as a base patch template].

If I see that behavior (very often, but not always), I usually take this tactic:

• Set up the HotSwitch to be programmed.
        • Swing the offending parameter fully clockwise to counterclockwise a few times.
        • Leave it at one extreme or the other.
        • Save the preset (not necessarily at the final form).
        • Program the HotSwitch to its final desired form.
        • Save it again (immediately).
        • Remove it from the buffer memory (with any other preset).
        • Reload the target preset again.

I don’t know why that works to wake up the preset, but it does.  Not all of those steps are needed, all of the time.  I’d say the parameter swings to the extremes, and the 2nd save process are essential components.

If you save it a second time, but don’t reload the preset, you’ll often see the same rogue parameter behavior (until the next preset load).  I’ll see where I have those presets archived for testing / preset sharing.

I’m not the most organized with these conceptual presets.  Might be easier to program them from scratch.

brock’s distant memory wrote:
        I used to have some kind of shortcut for this; using the expression pedal programming to program the HotSwitch.  Or maybe that scenario was reversed.  I’ll check back into it when I get the chance.

Ah!  That must be it.  Thanks man!!

KCStratman
      Participant

They call him Mister Freeze. Great work, Brock “you da man”!

shikawkee
      Participant

Update: Tried what you suggested a few times.  It works better on the Blackhole preset but not quite there.  The Dynaverb keeps reverting back no matter what I do.  Dang it.

brock
        Participant

Have you tried Unmap From HotSwitch in H9 Control?  [In Windows, double-click the mapped HotSwitch ‘knob’ and select].  Problem with that is the ‘phantom’ HotSwitch bindings don’t always show up as such.

shikawkee wrote:
        Update: Tried what you suggested a few times.  It works better on the Blackhole preset but not quite there.  The Dynaverb keeps reverting back no matter what I do.  Dang it.

Well, sh–.  When all else fails, start over from another base preset (of the same algorithm).  First time around, you have no choice but to pick a [F]actory preset to modify.  Some of them have no embedded HotSwitch programming; many do.  It’s easily tested by loading a preset up, and tapping the HotSwitch.

As boring as this sounds, I’ve gone through many of the algos, and created a Blank Programming Template preset.  I add one to any Preset [L]ist that I post here.  As you’ve found, that can be more difficult than it appears.  There are those times when nothing seems to ‘stick’ on save [mainly Win8.1 & Android here].

Neutral parameters, 50:50 MIX, no modulation, no expression pedal or HotSwitch programming … just enough to elicit the core character of the algo.  Then I finalize any new ser preset off of that; even if the preset began life as another modified preset.  It seems to cut down on the freakishly frustrating surprises.

shikawkee
        Participant
        brock wrote:

Have you tried Unmap From HotSwitch in H9 Control?  [In Windows, double-click the mapped HotSwitch ‘knob’ and select].  Problem with that is the ‘phantom’ HotSwitch bindings don’t always show up as such.

shikawkee wrote:

Well, sh–.  When all else fails, start over from another base preset (of the same algorithm).  First time around, you have no choice but to pick a [F]actory preset to modify.  Some of them have no embedded HotSwitch programming; many do.  It’s easily tested by loading a preset up, and tapping the HotSwitch.

As boring as this sounds, I’ve gone through many of the algos, and created a Blank Programming Template preset.  I add one to any Preset [L]ist that I post here.  As you’ve found, that can be more difficult than it appears.  There are those times when nothing seems to ‘stick’ on save [mainly Win8.1 & Android here].

Neutral parameters, 50:50 MIX, no modulation, no expression pedal or HotSwitch programming … just enough to elicit the core character of the algo.  Then I finalize any new ser preset off of that; even if the preset began life as another modified preset.  It seems to cut down on the freakishly frustrating surprises.

Cool, will try in the AM.  Thanks!  That should work I would think.  Logically <g>.

shikawkee
        Participant
        brock wrote:

shikawkee wrote:

Update: Finally got the hotswitch to unmap (press and hold in iPad app).  Voila!  Thanks Brock.

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        shikawkee wrote:

Update: Finally got the hotswitch to unmap (press and hold in iPad app).  Voila!  Thanks Brock.

There is a better way to unmap parameters. Just double click the parameter that you want to unmap in H9 Control, and select "UnMap from HotSwitch"

shikawkee
        Participant
        bohan wrote:

shikawkee wrote:

There is a better way to unmap parameters. Just double click the parameter that you want to unmap in H9 Control, and select “UnMap from HotSwitch”

Ah, sweet.  Thanks!

brock
      Participant

I did mention ‘Unmap From HotSwitch’ above in Post #12, but it doesn’t always clear these ‘rogue’ HotSwitch mappings.  Sometimes, you need to resort to brute force.  At any rate, I’m happy that you got it solved, Ed.

Here’s to the improved HotSwitch programming on any future products.  It’s a really useful feature [two presets in one]; largely unnoticed, and perhaps underutilized.  Not to mention all of the neat tricks you can pull off, when combined with an expression pedal and/or multiple Aux switches.

MichaelGoodman
      Participant

Hello to all! Im having lots of trouble figuring this out. does anyone have a link to a preset that will get me a freeze function? Ive tried to follow this post to get the sound but I just cant. I know its because I am total n00b status when it comes to digital pedals. I tried to download actioncamps “EHX Freeze Pedal” preset and loaded it on, but when I activate the hot switch, it is just not doing the freeze. Please help a brother out! I would be eternally grateful! Thanks so much! 

brock
      Participant

I’m not sure what you have for available algorithms, but maybe one of these will work out for you:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/presetsharing?field_h9_control_group_value=All&field_algorithm_ref_nid=All&keys=brock+freeze&uid=

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.