Future of Release content.. ??

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Future of Release content.. ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      caveman
      Participant

Open ended question.. I haven't upgraded in over a year since the H9 control hasn't meant much to me, unlike most users.  However etting additional timefactor/pitchfactor funtions (golden ratio delays, user scales, etc..) do mean a lot to me, and I'd be willing to pay for software upgrades containing such.. much like the current model of paying for extra H9 functions, but ideally it would be nice if it were for TF/PF/MF hardware layouts with the extra buttons and knobs.  Is that something that is on the radar at all for the future? Or is the future more H9 hw targeted ?  Thanks for whatever info the marketing guru's at Eventide can shed on this.

gkellum
      Participant

Mm… Those are broad questions. Generally speaking, Eventide doesn't usually charge for software upgrades.  One reason is charging for upgrades might make people feel like we're nickel and diming them. Another reason for that is that if you start charging for upgrades some people aren't going to want to upgrade and then you're going to have people using older software without the latest bug fixes and it turns into a headache for our support people. 

We haven't stopped improving the existing algorithms. We completely rewrote the Looper for instance and gave that out for free for TimeFactor customers (or more specifically my colleague, Russ, completely rewrote the Looper).  But we have been concentrating more of our energy on new algorithms as that's what more people have been asking for. Plus with some algorithms it's hard to do more than we've done with them already within the constraints of the embedded environments that they run in.

With regards to the larger hardware layout you mentioned of TF/PF/MF, one of the biggest complaints we had after releasing the H9 was that it didn't have the 10 knobs people were used to. A lot of people appreciate the smaller size of the H9. Almost certainly most H9 owners do. But there is still a sizeable chunk of users who like the tweakability of the 10 knobs (and the three footswitches). So, I don't think we're done with that layout or with designing algorithms with that layout in mind…

caveman
      Participant

Thanks for the update!

So if charging for upgrades doesn't make good business sense…  It would seem if you guys need to stay in business you would need to charge for new algorithms.   Will the TF/MF/PF ever have that capability?

gkellum
      Participant

caveman:

Thanks for the update!

So if charging for upgrades doesn't make good business sense…  It would seem if you guys need to stay in business you would need to charge for new algorithms.   Will the TF/MF/PF ever have that capability?

Well, unfortunately, the TF/MF/PF weren't designed with enough storage space for additional algorithms. When we designed the H9, we specifically chose the parts to allow enough space for future algorithms. With the TF/MF/PF that wasn't a consideration…

entreat69
      Participant

gkellum, please bring the H series' algorithms over to the H9 platform asap! 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.