G systems tap tempo to midi control the H9 tap tempo

Home Forums Products Stompboxes G systems tap tempo to midi control the H9 tap tempo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      joeydego
      Participant

can someone at least half help me to make this happen? Both manuals were unclear. At least get my H9 doing what it needs to do on its end. Any help appreciated. 

gkellum
      Participant

Well, do you want your G systems to send MIDI clock to the H9, or do you want it to trigger the Tap Tempo pedal function on the H9?  If you want it to do the latter, you'll need to configure your G systems to send a MIDI CC when one of its switches is pressed, and you'll need to configure the H9 to connect this MIDI CC to tap tempo.  You can do this in H9 Control by clicking on the Pedal button in the bottom menubar, going to MIDI Settings, going to 'Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions,' and then to the 'Tap Tempo' pedal function.

joeydego
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Well, do you want your G systems to send MIDI clock to the H9, or do you want it to trigger the Tap Tempo pedal function on the H9?  If you want it to do the latter, you’ll need to configure your G systems to send a MIDI CC when one of its switches is pressed, and you’ll need to configure the H9 to connect this MIDI CC to tap tempo.  You can do this in H9 Control by clicking on the Pedal button in the bottom menubar, going to MIDI Settings, going to ‘Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions,’ and then to the ‘Tap Tempo’ pedal function.

If I send midi clock to the H9 from the G, is there any other benefit other than tempo syncing? Would that then always default BOTH devices to what the G systems tempo is set for on a particular patch? What Im gathering is setting the midi clock to the G would globally change the H9s tempo with me doing nothing, and changing the tap tempo only to the G wouldnt change anything in the H9 until I tap a tempo on the G. Do I have this right? I think I’d rather set the clock to to G. Tap tempo on the G would still change the H9 in this case too, correct? 

gkellum
        Participant
        joeydego wrote:

What Im gathering is setting the midi clock to the G would globally change the H9s tempo with me doing nothing, and changing the tap tempo only to the G wouldnt change anything in the H9 until I tap a tempo on the G. Do I have this right?

Well, not exactly.  MIDI clock is always running.  So, the G would change something on the H9 even without you tapping in the tempo, and there might be presets where you don't want to have their tempos modified by the G, b/c that will screw up the way they sound.  But maybe that's not the case for your presets.  Also, if you turn tempo mode off for an H9 preset, then it ignores MIDI clock.  So, if you don't want certain presets to be affected by the MIDI clock you could turn tempo mode off for them and resave them that way.

I guess it's nice to use MIDI clock if you want the same tempo to be active on the G and the H9 and don't want to tap it in twice.  If that doesn't apply to your case, maybe it would be simpler to just hook up a MIDI CC to the tap tempo function instead.

joeydego
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

joeydego wrote:

What Im gathering is setting the midi clock to the G would globally change the H9s tempo with me doing nothing, and changing the tap tempo only to the G wouldnt change anything in the H9 until I tap a tempo on the G. Do I have this right?

Well, not exactly.  MIDI clock is always running.  So, the G would change something on the H9 even without you tapping in the tempo, and there might be presets where you don’t want to have their tempos modified by the G, b/c that will screw up the way they sound.  But maybe that’s not the case for your presets.  Also, if you turn tempo mode off for an H9 preset, then it ignores MIDI clock.  So, if you don’t want certain presets to be affected by the MIDI clock you could turn tempo mode off for them and resave them that way.

I guess it’s nice to use MIDI clock if you want the same tempo to be active on the G and the H9 and don’t want to tap it in twice.  If that doesn’t apply to your case, maybe it would be simpler to just hook up a MIDI CC to the tap tempo function instead.

I think using the G systems midi clock is the way to go. How do I point the H9 to it? 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.