H8000FW really SLOW preset scrolling

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW really SLOW preset scrolling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      eventidesurf

Hello,

* I purchased a used H8000FW and it is very laggy when scrolling through presets. I can click the up/down keys 2/3 times before the cursor actually moves.

* The low-numbered presets are faster than the high-numbered presets, which are slower by at least 50%, but maybe even twice as slow.

* This only affects the factory presets, the internal (user) presets seem okay.

* Firmware is 5.61 and I did a factory reset, same problem.

Is this the nature of the beast? Should I backrev the firmware?

Notes/observations:

* Is factory preset memory physically slower than internal/user memory?

* As a computer programmer myself, I know that if you don’t index large lists they can be very slow to display because you have to iterate through the whole list just to find the next record. And depending how you programmed it, the tail-end may be slower than the beginning. Did Eventide devs not index the preset list? Or maybe it is and the index is really that slow?

* Or certain percentage of CPU allocated to display or it has its own chinsy processor?

* Just a bug?

M-Goldie
      Participant

I have this issue on my H7600 and it seems to be getting worse. Just emailed support about it today. I used to have a H7000 and it was really snappy and fast. 

eventidesurf
        M-Goldie wrote:

I have this issue on my H7600 and it seems to be getting worse. Just emailed support about it today. I used to have a H7000 and it was really snappy and fast. 

I spoke with support and they say it’s normal operation. IMO, the most likely reason is the display/ui was allocated a tiny amount of CPU resources. I was also emailed a beta version which someone else said should alleviate the problem. But I haven’t loaded it yet.

I gave up on experimenting with the factory presets for now at least. I tried around 15/20 at the most before I got a big headache. Keep in mind, if you save them as user programs then filter only for user programs they scroll a lot faster. That is probably the only realistic way to use them, but ideally, you should pick as few as possible, because the more there are, the slower it scrolls.

Anyhow, instead I’ve started making my alg’s using VSig and the results are top notch. I’m not even doing anything fancy, I found a program with some ERs and reverb and hacked it up to something even more simple and this box sounds really good. After using VSig, I can’t imagine selling it.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Haven't replied on this topic before now, because I really have nothing to add.

It does seem a little slow, but not (to me) terrible.  It has to handle a lookup of over a thousand presets, so it will not be immediate. These units are not PCs and have less computing power allocated to the display.

An H8000/7600 will be slower in this respect than a 7000 or Orville, as these do not have the sorting and filtering capability of the later units.

eventidesurf
        nickrose wrote:

These units are not PCs and have less computing power allocated to the display.

I typed my last reply before seeing this message. That’s what I was thinking all along.

M-Goldie
      Participant

I understand the display having a small amount of CPU allocated but it still seems like unnacceptable performance to me – at the moment when selecting presets I can click the ‘down’ button, it waits half a sec then jumps two or three presets down rather than one. Surely this is not correct behaviour? I think I’ll try and video the problem and post a link so Nick can see the issue.

I’m wondering if down grading the OS to the previous (non beta) version might help?

eventidesurf
        M-Goldie wrote:

I understand the display having a small amount of CPU allocated but it still seems like unnacceptable performance to me – at the moment when selecting presets I can click the ‘down’ button, it waits half a sec then jumps two or three presets down rather than one. Surely this is not correct behaviour? I think I’ll try and video the problem and post a link so Nick can see the issue.

I’m wondering if down grading the OS to the previous (non beta) version might help?

I totally agree that it doesn’t seem normal. But there are lot’s of people who are not bothered by it. I should know, my background is application development and I’ve watched countless end users sit behind abnormally laggy screens without complaint. But there is a percentage (10%-20%) that go nuts over this stuff. I’m one of them. However, if/when applications are made reasonably fast (normal to us), all the users who never complained suddenly notice the difference!

Anyhow, if it skips over presets, then that would have to be a bug IMO.

And here’s a video on the H8000. There are only a few parts where he uses the up/down buttons:

https://youtu.be/zeActtbVf3o?t=12m36s

As you can see, it’s laggy. Same with the wheel operation.

Keep in mind, the farther down you are in the list, the slower it gets. The start is somewhat tolerable, but the tail-end is unbearable. Having a page up/page down key would make it a lot easier.

I also have a video that I emailed support and they didn’t think much of it.

M-Goldie
      Participant

Video of my issue – note how I’m pressing the advance one group button and the display is intermittently advancing by 2 or 3 groups

https://vimeo.com/167757743

eventidesurf
        M-Goldie wrote:

Video of my issue – note how I’m pressing the advance one group button and the display is intermittently advancing by 2 or 3 groups

https://vimeo.com/167757743

I didn’t know those were the page up/page down keys! Great, just tried them and I’m so glad they’re there. It looks like you could have a bad key. Mine are not skipping.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.