H9 & 4 Cable Method

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 & 4 Cable Method

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      gas hed
      Participant

Anybody running the H9 in 4CM?  I love keeping my guitar signal as pure as I can going into the amp (tuner and compressor is all I’m running there).  I run my H9 alone into the loop of my Suhr PT15IR amp.  Tone for days, but there are a few effects that I think are weak in the loop (PitchFactors, Pitch Fuzz, EQ Compressor, etc.).   I’m wondering if the H9 in 4CM is true bypass for the guitar>H9>amp signal when no effects are being run in front?  Concerned about “tone suck”.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hello gas hed.

The H9 has a few different bypass modes – Relay , DSP, & DSP+FX. The first choice, Relay, functions as a “true bypass” because it creates a hardwired connection from input to output through relays so that the signal is unprocessed and does not go through the converters. This is a global control, so if you choose Relay mode, keep in mind the H9 won’t be able to preserve your delay/reverb tails if you bypass the pedal on an effect running through the loop. Only “DSP+FX” mode can do that.

gas hed
      Participant

Thanks for the note joe’.  Can you tell me what (if any) pitfalls there are in using the other modes (i.e. DSP or DSP+FX)?  What do they do to the incoming signal?  Wondering if I’m just being irrational about tone suck.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

There is absolutely nothing irrational about being concerned with possible “tone suck.” We care about the same things. That being said, using modes like DSP or DSP+FX make up for impedance mismatches that may exist in a signal chain. This is usually the case, for example, when you have a guitar signal being routed to a low impedance input, like an audio interface or other. Such a mismatch causes “tone suck.” DSP and DSP+FX also come in handy if you’re running long cables. These modes essentially make the H9 act as a buffer and recondition your signal strength. One pitfall often discussed with these modes, and practically all digital pedals, is latency; however, the amount of latency added going in and out of our converters is negligible. The best thing for you to do is trust your own ears. Experiment with both modes and answer two questions for yourself: does it sound good and does it feel good? In closing, as already discussed, the pitfall with choosing Relay mode is not being able to have trails when you bypass the H9. Personally, I never take my Eventide pedals off DSP+FX mode.

camn
      Participant

I use 4CM and DSP/FX mode and I have stone-cold FILTHY tone.

It’s unreal.  Unimaginable.

If there is any tone being sucked, then us humans cannot endure what my tone would be, un-sucked.

gas hed
      Participant

@camn – I genuinely LOL with your reply!  Nice!  I’m going to set up my board for Pre/Post this weekend…will report back.

gas hed
      Participant

So I set it up today…what was I thinking not doing this sooner.  My tone got BETTER!  Thanks Eventide for a perfect platform!

IMG_4066

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.