H9 Algo Signal Flow Charts

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Algo Signal Flow Charts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      apalazzolo
      Participant

Over on TheGearPage a user named Orville71 recently posted the UltraTap signal flow chart found at this link:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?media/ultratap-signal-flow.273775/

I’ve never seen this and it has been incredibly helpful.  Naturally, Spacetime and Pitchfuzz have the same information in their pedal views.  But there are others that would be very helpful to have.

Can anyone direct me to and/or provide similar signal flow charts for the following H9 algorithms?:

Undulator

DualVerb (are these in series, parallel, or something else?)

HotSawz

TriceraChorus

All help is much appreciated. 

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

The flow charts for all dot9 series pedals are in their quick reference guides. Unfortunately, no such flow charts exist for any of the other algorithms. However, I’ll gladly try to address specific questions. With regards to Dual Reverb, both reverbs are in parallel.

We have a tutorial on HotSawz if you wish to learn about it in-depth: https://youtu.be/5AEbZnUQ6qc

TriceraChorus will have it’s own flow chart forthcoming, as we announced it will be released as a dot9 pedal this year.

apalazzolo
      Participant

Many thanks.  That Hotsawz tutorial answer A LOT of questions.  Very helpful.

There is no similar  resource for Undulator anywhere?  That one has always been a mystery to me. 

brock
      Participant
      apalazzolo wrote:
      Over on TheGearPage a user named Orville71 recently posted the UltraTap signal flow chart found at this link:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?media/ultratap-signal-flow.273775/

I’ve never seen this and it has been incredibly helpful …

I’ll add that the latest UT video is loaded with little nuggets detailing parameter ranges, LIN/EXP knob breakdowns & scaling, mini-graphs, and tips & tricks.  These vids keep getting better & better:

You might pick up some tips (as I did) from the UltraTap [plugin] manual.  The signal flow chart is a bit different; by accident or design:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/ultratap-user-guide

apalazzolo
      Participant

Brock,

Many thanks for your input here as well as all of it on this forum over many years.  I, and many others, have learned a lot from your valuable and selfless guideance.

I was hip to Joe’s Ultratap instructional video as well as those for Blackhole and Micropitch.  I can’t say enough good things about them.  I’ve watched many other videos and read all I can on the H9 (and related) algos.  Joe’s videos have important information not available elsewhere.  I hope this is the new standard for the dot9 series.

Joe,

Please see my above comment on your videos.  Love them!

Regarding the dot9 quickstart guides, please note that Ultratap is the only one with a signal flow chart.  That said,  your videos are prolly a better resource anyway. Looking forward to Tricerachorus.  

Watching all of the Undulator demo/review videos it seems no one understands what’s going on with the delay(s) in that algo and how the pitch/feedback and spread/feedback control it/them.  Most just turn some knobs and say, “ohhhhh … ahhhh … that’s great.”  On reviewer expressly says there is no information about it.  I guess it will remain a mystery.

Best,

~Tony

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      apalazzolo wrote:

There is no similar  resource for Undulator anywhere?  That one has always been a mystery to me. 

We have an overview of the Undulator algorithm, but there are other videos from users that go more in depth. You may find the collection of videos here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhT2MsSeKiDxfu-5Y1J3pZz5XjPQxYkfl

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      apalazzolo wrote:
      Joe,

Very much appreciate the feedback, Tony. It’s very encouraging. We’re working hard to set a new standard for instructional content. More forthcoming.

apalazzolo
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      apalazzolo wrote:
      Joe,

Very much appreciate the feedback, Tony. It’s very encouraging. We’re working hard to set a new standard for instructional content. More forthcoming.

You bet.

May I ask a few questions about a point you made in the hour-long dot9 Ultratap video?

At one point (53:45? maybe) you mentioned and then demonstrated that the timbre of that delay depends on whether it is in time mode or tempo mode.  I’ve noticed this too with the H9 version of Ultratap.  Selecting/deselecting the mode button (with no other changes) really does affect the timbre.

Does this tonal difference occur in all H9 delay algorithms? If not, in which ones does that difference occur?  Very basically, what causes this difference?

Many thanks.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      apalazzolo wrote:
      At one point (53:45? maybe) you mentioned and then demonstrated that the timbre of that delay depends on whether it is in time mode or tempo mode.  I’ve noticed this too with the H9 version of Ultratap.  Selecting/deselecting the mode button (with no other changes) really does affect the timbre.

Does this tonal difference occur in all H9 delay algorithms? If not, in which ones does that difference occur?

Hi Tony,

The smoothing out effect of using Time mode with a large amount of Taps has to do more with the fact that the spacing between taps no longer follow a set subdivision as it would in Tempo mode. In Tempo mode the knob position determines a set subdivision, but in Time mode its determined by time in milliseconds. Basically, there will be a higher concentration of taps in Time mode making a reverb, for example, sound less clumpy.

In the example at 53:45 that you’re referring to, I’m creating a chorus-type sound. Notice I have my length set at a very short 16th note with five Taps. Switching to Time mode, I’m essentially shortening the delay times between taps making the chorus sound smoother. Works well with Slurm engaged, which serves to take the edge off the transients.

This effect will happen with any multi-tap delay, especially if there are a lot of taps in a short amount of time. But notice I really don’t mention “timbre” anywhere. Though it may be an audible effect you perceive, the sound changes because switching from Tempo to Time mode we’re shortening the delay times further. That’s it. There isn’t any secret processing going on when we switch the Tap mode from Time to Tempo or anything like that.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.