H9 Algorithm purchases

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Algorithm purchases

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      pauliusmm

I also think that non transferable algos on resale is a fail. Imagine spending 499 for pedal, then maybe investing another 200 and selling it for 350 in the end. Also the next buyer probbably can't even have one free algo…

gkellum
      Participant

I broke this post off into a separate thread, b/c I want to keep the H9 Wish List thread focused on algorithm ideas and app feedback.  But in any case we thought a lot about the problem of people not being able to transfer algorithms when buying algorithms via in app purchase, because we know a lot of our customers buy our gear knowing they might want to resell it one day for whatever reason.  But we had to weigh the needs of those customers against those of customers who appreciate the convenience of being able to buy algorithms on the same devices they are using to control their H9.  What it came down to is that Apple doesn't allow in app purchases to be transferred. Since we wanted people to be able to purchase algorithms on their iOS devices, our policy also had to be not to allow algorithms transfers.

pauliusmm

Maybe it would be possible to work around this  by  permamently keeping these algos in h9? I doubt there is a reason to ever delete algos from a pedal

gkellum
      Participant

Well, we talked about that possibility.  There was one person here who argued for having algorithm purchases be for only a single stompbox and to have them tied to that stompbox.  But that wasn't possible given the way Apple's iTunes Connect works.  If you buy something via in app purchasing once, you can't buy it again.  So, if you had multiple H9s, you could only buy Shimmer for example once for one of them.  We also thought that would violate Apple's rules, although what we're doing is so out of the ordinary it was hard for us to be sure about how their rules applied in our case.  

For that reason and also for reasons of fairness, we wanted algorithm purchases to be unlocked on all of the H9s registered to your account.  But when you start thinking about allowing purchases to be unlocked on multiple devices, you have to start worrying about fraud and misuse scenarios, and that's when you start getting into scenarios where you need to delete algorithms from stompboxes.

We have a long document talking about all of these issues and I don't really want to rehash all of that in a forum post.  But I will say we thought about this problem a lot, and we came up with the best solution we could given the constraints we were working under.  We aren't perfectly happy with some of those constraints either, but at this point, it is what it is.

3dsman
      Participant

Hi,

Just got the H9 and love the sounds.. awesome device.  A tad overwhelming I must say, but powerful gizmos have lots of knobs, goes with the territory I suppose.   Anyhoo… before I start shelling out buckos for new algo's I have two questions:

1) Is there a list showing most popular downloads?    

2) Similar to 1) is there anywhere that the downloads are rated by users?   (Would like to not just see how often a given algo is downloaded, but ratings since that shows after the download how happy they were with it)

3) If you guys come out with an H10 next year, assuming the new machine is compatible with the H9 algo's, would I be able to transfer my H9 algo purchases to the new product?

I really like the H9 and would like to start accumulating algo's but if they're stranded forever on the H9 I'm not so sure I want to spend a whole lot of $ on algo's in that situation.  Do advise.

Thanks!!

gkellum
      Participant

1)  There's not a list of most popular algorithms in the app, but Apple lists that info on their product page for H9 Control: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/h9-control/id568128041?mt=8

I'm a bit surprised by their ordering though, b/c from what I've seen the top half dozen algorithms by sales have beenDigital Delay, Blackhole, Phaser, HarPeggiator, Quadravox and Rotary.

2)  Apple lets users rate apps.  I don't recall ever seeing anything though for rating in app purchases.  

3)  Yes, if we were to come out with a new H9-like machine next year that is compatible with the H9 algorithm scheme, you would be able to transfer your H9 algorithm purchases to the new product.

srhayden31

I have a silly question, I am interested in buying a H9, but mainly for the harmonizer. Now we have the H9 Max. Can I buy just the great harmonizing algorithm alone. Or is that just in the Max?? Really want the pedal to help my solos sound like we have 2 guitars in my band..please help..

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

srhayden31:

Can I buy just the great harmonizing algorithm alone

You could consider getting an H9CORE, which comes with only one algorithm (forget which) and the purchase such other algs as you require. The H9MAX makes sense if you want a lot of algs.

fog_ducker
      Participant

I have 15 algorithms purchased, no H9 max and no response from support?  I'm now trying the forum.  Sure hope I can be reimbursed for the extra algorithms as my understanding was my H9 would automatically convert to the Max.  Anyone?

gkellum
      Participant

Fog_ducker:

I have 15 algorithms purchased, no H9 max and no response from support?  I'm now trying the forum.  Sure hope I can be reimbursed for the extra algorithms as my understanding was my H9 would automatically convert to the Max.  Anyone?

Having looked at your account, I saw nine purchases, not fifteen.  21 algorithms in total minus the 9 that come with the H9 minus the coupon purchase minus Resonator and EQ Compressor which in your case were free.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.