H9 and BeatBuddy problem

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 and BeatBuddy problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      komideer

I set up my H9 to receive  MIDI Clock from BeatBuddy and I control H9 from my iPad via Bluetooth.  When I switch presets on H9 from iPad, H9 freezes and H9 control (on iPad) shows a message ” sm_response_timeout”. Tried the same from iPhone – same result. Disabled MIDI Clock input on H9 – same result. As soon as I unplug the MIDI cable from Beat Buddy – H9 unfreezes and works fine. If I disable Bluetooth control and change presets with H9 buttons – all works fine.

Please help.

komideer

Sounds more like a MIDI/Bluetooth issue so this might be a long shot, but Is anything plugged into the USB port on the H9? I don’t think MIDI and USB can work at the same time.

Have you tried any other MIDI devices (controller, whatever) into he H9?

komideer

Nothing is plugged into USB port, and I haven’t yet tried any other controller…

gkellum
      Participant

We tried to reproduce this problem with a TimeFactor sending MIDI clock into an H9, but we didn't see it…  We don't have a BeatBuddy here, but we'll try with a few more MIDI devices to see if we can reproduce it…

komideer
      Here’s the details:

H9 Serial H9-04304

Firmware 5.2.0[1]

H9 Control 2.4.0

iOS iPad Air 1st Gen

Clock Source BeatBuddy (BB)

Now, the interesting bit is, all is fine when BB is Stopped or Paused – the MIDI Clock is sent from BB, Tap LED on H9 is blinking happily to the incoming clock, and presets switch just fine from H9 Control. It’s when BB starts playing (and apparently sends MIDI Start message) after first or, sometimes, second or third preset switch from H9 Control, the H9 freezes H9 Control shows the error message: sm_response_timeout.

H9 then UNfreezes only when MIDI cable is plugged out from H9 MIDI In. 

When Bluetooth communication is disabled all works fine when BB is either stopped or playing, and presets are changed with Preset button and Encoder wheel.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, ‘cause we need this problem resolved ASAP for gigging musicians (like me ) using H9 Control to manage and switch H9 presets “on the fly” during a song, i.e. when BB is PLAYING.

komideer

Both the beginning of measure and time signature are never being transmitted. Only a very very limited subset of MIDI messages is supported by the BeatBuddy currently, namely: Timing Clock (0xF8 or 248), Start (0xFA or 250), Continue (0xFB or 251) and Stop (0xFC or 252).

Please note: in the next firmware version this might change, but I have no information about what is currently being developed for the firmware.

Maybe START or CONTINUE conflicts with BT communications?….

gkellum
        Participant
        komideer wrote:

Maybe START or CONTINUE conflicts with BT communications?….

One of my colleagues brought in a drum machine today that sends out start, continue and stop commands.  We used that drum machine when we were working on implementing the Looper which responds to those commands…  We couldn't reproduce the problem with the drum machine either.  I guess I'll write the BeatBuddy guys and ask if they'd let us borrow one for a few weeks.  

gkellum
      Participant

Well, I heard back from the BeatBuddy guys.  They sent me a new firmware release for the BeatBuddy and asked me to forward it on to you.  I'm going to forward their email to your at the same email address that's tied to your Eventide account.

komideer

Installed FW 1.5.0 in my BeatBuddy – problem is gone!

Thank you Eventide and BeatBuddy support folks for resolving this issue so promptly and efficiently!

kobyphoto

I thought when I saw that the resolution here involved a firmware upgrade 1.5* (which apparently doesn’t exist) for beatbuddy, my problems were solved.

I recently bought both a beatbuddy and two H9’s. I am now trying to use the beatbuddy midi output to midi in on the H9. Ultimately daisy chaining

Beatbuddy > H9 > H9 > Pigtronix Looper.

Rather than rehash similar result information as stated by Komideer above, I would like to redirect the symptoms back to Komideer’s original complaint. The unit hangs up and my H9 doesn’t even show any signal through the tap LED – No blinking. I’ve tried a couple of cables, but no luck. Only pulling the midi cable frees up the H9. It’s a bit frustrating since I’ve never worked with midi before.

The firmware on both units is up to date. Am I alone at sea with Wilson?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gkellum
        Participant
        kobyphoto wrote:

I thought when I saw that the resolution here involved a firmware upgrade 1.5* (which apparently doesn't exist) for beatbuddy, my problems were solved.

The BeatBuddy developers sent us the v1.5 release after we emailed them about the problem.  I just tried to forward the release to the email that's tied to your Eventide account, but comcast rejected the email address as invalid.  Please update your account with a valid email address and I'll send it to you.  Or alternatively, just write the BeatBuddy guys yourself, and ask them for the release.  It could be that they have a newer version now, as they sent us that v1.5 release months ago.

kobyphoto

Thanks for your help.  The Comcast account is expired. Will have to update it. I will contact BB folks for the firmware version.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.