H9 as a master midi clock and BPM lower limit

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 as a master midi clock and BPM lower limit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, 

I am interested in purhasing the H9 (it looks awesome!). One of the functions I would like to know is if it is possible to use  the H9 as a master midi clock to sync other gear (synths and drum machines) and would like to change the tempo (BPM) dynamically with assignable rotary dial. I would like to know if this scenario is possible and if so, what is the lower limit of the BPM. IE does it go down to 30 BPM. 

Thanks!

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      virtualsamana wrote:

I am interested in purhasing the H9 (it looks awesome!). One of the functions I would like to know is if it is possible to use  the H9 as a master midi clock to sync other gear (synths and drum machines) and would like to change the tempo (BPM) dynamically with assignable rotary dial. I would like to know if this scenario is possible and if so, what is the lower limit of the BPM. IE does it go down to 30 BPM. 

Yes, you can use H9 as a master midi clock. You can change the tempo by tapping the footswitch, using auxillary switch or MIDI. The lowerest BPM on H9 is 30.

georgerterry

Hi there,

I’m trying to use my H9 as a clock source for a Mother-32. Unfortunately, the Mother-32 doesn’t seem to register.

I’ve got MIDI output mode set to transmit and enable midi clock output set to yes.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

camn
      Participant

yeah send the MIDI to a monitor like Midi-Ox. It is a must for troubleshooting.

georgerterry

Hey,

Thanks for your help.

I’m using H9 Control. Bizarrely earlier I looked over and noticed it had randomly started sending MIDI clock. Then I powered everything down afterwards and now it’s not working again. 

It’s so frustrating.

I’m using H9 Control so have been switching tap tempo and stuff on and off there but with no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!

georgerterry

Heya, 

Yep, I’m in tempo mode on a preset with a set BPM and when I press the tap key it shows BPMs. 

Here are my settings:

https://imgur.com/a/oSScBia

Can you see anything there that would explain this?

Thanks again 🙂

tstern
      Eventide Staff

This might be naive, but have you tried a different cable?  IME Half the time that things work and then don't work, it's the cable at fault.  Can you confirm that the H9 can send other MIDI messages, such as a program change?  You should see the light on the Moog flash whenever it receives a MIDI message, so you can check your hardware that way without having to question whether the MIDI clock is operating as you expect.

camn
      Participant

Obviously not ALL your equipment is Eurorack 🙂 

Get a Midi to USB cable.

Set up a testing environment.

This is the way. 

tstern
      Eventide Staff
      georgerterry wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to use my H9 as a clock source for a Mother-32. Unfortunately, the Mother-32 doesn't seem to register.

I've got MIDI output mode set to transmit and enable midi clock output set to yes.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Do you have any way you can split this signal to debug it?  I.e, if you run the H9 to a MIDI interface or some other piece of gear, you might be able to confirm that it's sending the MIDI clock out.

Do other MIDI messages appear to register on the Mother-32?  From the manual for that, it looks like if it receives a MIDI message, the red LED by the MIDI jack should blink; do you see that happen?

georgerterry

Heya,

Thanks for your replies!

Unfortunately I don’t have any way of testing as all of my gear is Eurorack rather than MIDI. 

But you’re right, there’s a green light on M32 that flashes when it receives MIDI messages and it’s not flashing or anything.

Does the MIDI clock play automatically on H9 or is there some kind of play signal you need to give it?

Thanks folks 🙂

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      georgerterry wrote:

Heya,

Thanks for your replies!

Unfortunately I don't have any way of testing as all of my gear is Eurorack rather than MIDI. 

But you're right, there's a green light on M32 that flashes when it receives MIDI messages and it's not flashing or anything.

Does the MIDI clock play automatically on H9 or is there some kind of play signal you need to give it?

Thanks folks 🙂

You need to set the MIDI OUTPUT to "XMT" or "MERGE", and turn on CLK.OUT. Last but not least, you need to turn on the tempo mode of the current running algorithm. You can easily do this in H9 Control, or simultaneously press the right footswitch and the PRESETS button.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      georgerterry wrote:

Hey,

Thanks for your help.

I'm using H9 Control. Bizarrely earlier I looked over and noticed it had randomly started sending MIDI clock. Then I powered everything down afterwards and now it's not working again. 

It's so frustrating.

I'm using H9 Control so have been switching tap tempo and stuff on and off there but with no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Make sure you are using a delay or time-based algorithm that supports TEMPO mode. Pressing the right footswitch and the PRESETS to toggle on TEMPO MODE. Now tapping the right footswitch should show BPM on the display (if not, long press the right footswitch to toggle tap mode so you can tap).

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.