H9 as a MIDI Controller

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 as a MIDI Controller

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sassanova

I’m newer to MIDI connectivity on pedalboards. I have an H9 and a couple pedals on the way with MIDI functionality (Chasebliss Varped Vinyl MKII, Empress Phaser, and a Chasebliss modified MIDI box). Can I use the H9 as a main brain for all my program changes? For example, can I set the presets on my H9 to also change the Varped Vinyl and Phaser to different settings?

Is this possible or would I need a separate midi controller (ie- Disaster Area) to use as a main brain? Also, would the expression pedal information translate from the H9 to the other 2 pedals?

mwe
      Participant

Yes, it’ll work as a MIDI controller but there are limitations. The H9 will output a single PC message on one channel when a preset is changed. All of your downstream MIDI devices will have to be set for the same channel and you may have to fiddle around with your presets to make everything work. Any ‘mid stream’ pedals will also have to support MIDI Thru:

H9 —> pedal x —> pedal y —> pedal z

Pedal x and y have to be able to pass the input MIDI signal thru to the MIDI output connector. If not, you’ll need a MIDI splitter.

I think H9 can be set to output a CC message that corresponds to the expression pedal but I haven’t personally tried that. I have set one up to output CC messages using aux switches and that works great.

gkellum
        Participant
        mwe wrote:

I think H9 can be set to output a CC message that corresponds to the expression pedal but I haven't personally tried that. I have set one up to output CC messages using aux switches and that works great.

Yes, this should work.  There's a program change transmit map and a MIDI CC transmit map.  Neither of these two maps are in H9 Control though, but if you go through the MIDI preferences on the H9 itself when it's in system mode, you'll see them there.

Alancarl
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:
        mwe wrote:

I think H9 can be set to output a CC message that corresponds to the expression pedal but I haven't personally tried that. I have set one up to output CC messages using aux switches and that works great.

Yes, this should work.  There's a program change transmit map and a MIDI CC transmit map.  Neither of these two maps are in H9 Control though, but if you go through the MIDI preferences on the H9 itself when it's in system mode, you'll see them there.

Thanks for this info…I have been trying to find these maps and settings in the H9 control app to no avail:-)
        My question…can the H9 be set to transmit the values of any parameter assigned to transmit a CC upon a preset load?
        I love the H9 iPad app and thankfully I learned that multiple H9’s can be controlled simultaneously using an iPad, CCK and a USB hub connecting everybody together.

I setup a MIDI knob controller for tactile control of my H9’s and along with wired stability I am finally getting an Eventide effects processor experience! It would be terrific to have the H9’s update the endless encoder led rings when I load a new preset.
        Thanks,
        Al

gkellum
        Participant
        alancarl wrote:
        My question…can the H9 be set to transmit the values of any parameter assigned to transmit a CC upon a preset load?

If I understand you correctly, when a new preset is loaded on an H9, you'd like it to send out the values of one or more of that presets' parameters as MIDI CC messages?

The H9 doesn't do that. It can send out MIDI CC messages when you're changing a particular parameter, but it only does that in response to a user changing a parameter and not to preset loads.

Alancarl
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:
        alancarl wrote:

If I understand you correctly, when a new preset is loaded on an H9, you'd like it to send out the values of one or more of that presets' parameters as MIDI CC messages?

The H9 doesn't do that. It can send out MIDI CC messages when you're changing a particular parameter, but it only does that in response to a user changing a parameter and not to preset loads.

Yes this would give a parameter feedback reference on a generic midi knob controller device and it would give an endless rotary encoder a starting position that corresponds to the H9 parameter values for any given preset as opposed to having to reach the null point before the parameter changes.
        Thanks for a really terrific product!
        Al

jcknowles89
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Yes, this should work.  There’s a program change transmit map and a MIDI CC transmit map.  Neither of these two maps are in H9 Control though, but if you go through the MIDI preferences on the H9 itself when it’s in system mode, you’ll see them there.

[/quote]

I tried this set up mentioned above. Setting it up in System Mode. However its not changing presets from My aux Switch. Any Ideas why this wouldnt be working? I have the AUX switch set up to incriment and decrement presets on one H9 and also set up to xmt CC to another H9. my goal is to hit one button on Aux Switch and it increment preset on Both H9’s.

Thanks,

gkellum wrote:

my goal is to hit one button on Aux Switch and it increment preset on Both H9’s.

Thanks,

[/quote]

I was searching the forums for an answer on this and was wondering if it was possible. Can someone confirm if this can work, or if it doesn’t?

camilok
      Participant

What are the chances that the midi functionality could be matured / fleshed out on the h9 to provide dynamic real-time midi control on multiple channels, including transposition of channel , program and control data? Something like a Midi Solutions Midi event processor. This would be extremely beneficial. Is the chipset capable of this? It it a matter of programming?

For example, the H9 RECIEVES a program change on channel 1, and is programmed to relay thru a CC change on channel 3 and a program change on channel 4 based on a transposition table defined by the user. I don’t care about note transposition, I need on/off, CC, program, and channel transposition.

Like this thing: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

shinobi68
      Sassanova wrote:
      I’m newer to MIDI connectivity on pedalboards. I have an H9 and a couple pedals on the way with MIDI functionality (Chasebliss Varped Vinyl MKII, Empress Phaser, and a Chasebliss modified MIDI box). Can I use the H9 as a main brain for all my program changes? For example, can I set the presets on my H9 to also change the Varped Vinyl and Phaser to different settings? Is this possible or would I need a separate midi controller (ie- Disaster Area) to use as a main brain? Also, would the expression pedal information translate from the H9 to the other 2 pedals?

Mine is working pretty darn good. I use a 3 channel EVH 5150 III and Voodoo Labs GCP/GCX. I run from the GCP into the GCX, GCX to the H9, H9 to a Control Switcher via Midi. I can use my GCP to control my amp channels plus assign H9 presets to each channel on my GCP. It is very cool. Before I was tap dancing during gigs between my GCP, Amp Footswitch, and H9.

The trick is going into the setup mode on the H9 and changing the Mide to “Thru” to control other Midi devices. It comes from the factory default “Thru off”…..at leas it was on mine.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You can use the AUX switch to increment or decrement the current preset (see UM p.34).

As long as you avoid ground loops, you can use a single AUX switch to control 2 H9s, so it sounds as if what you want is possible.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.