H9 as Straightforward Pitch Transposer

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 as Straightforward Pitch Transposer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Yocum

Hi folks,

I’m new here. Please forgive me for my ignorant question, so far below the other questions and answers I’ve seen. I am well aware that Eventide is a premier effects provider to the music community, and it has my utmost respect!

I am a bassist. I currently use an Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork for my pitch transposition needs. Simple as it is, it allows me to:

1. Transpose pitch in preset amounts (detune, minor second, major second, major third, perfect fourth, perfect fifth, major sixth, minor seventh, one, two, and three octaves)
      2. Blend wet and dry signal
      3. Transpose up, down, or both
      4. Works polyphonically, not one note at a time (important)

(It also adds an odd artifact to the sound that I’ve grown to like, perhaps because I don’t know any better!)

The problem is that it has no presets! I have to bend over onstage and adjust the unit for the different tunings I need. Additionally, I have made embarrassing mistakes live by not setting it properly!

Can an H9 be used in such a simple manner? I know that the unit can do otherworldly things, and I would be anxious to explore those, but right this minute what I need is a programmable pitch transposer to replace the Pitch Fork.

If so, which algorithm and preset would you suggest as a starting point?

Many thanks from a newbie,

Mike

Bodde
      Participant
      Mike Yocum wrote:

Hi folks,

I’m new here. Please forgive me for my ignorant question, so far below the other questions and answers I’ve seen. I am well aware that Eventide is a premier effects provider to the music community, and it has my utmost respect!

I am a bassist. I currently use an Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork for my pitch transposition needs. Simple as it is, it allows me to:

1. Transpose pitch in preset amounts (detune, minor second, major second, major third, perfect fourth, perfect fifth, major sixth, minor seventh, one, two, and three octaves)

(It also adds an odd artifact to the sound that I’ve grown to like, perhaps because I don’t know any better!)

The problem is that it has no presets! I have to bend over onstage and adjust the unit for the different tunings I need. Additionally, I have made embarrassing mistakes live by not setting it properly!

Can an H9 be used in such a simple manner? I know that the unit can do otherworldly things, and I would be anxious to explore those, but right this minute what I need is a programmable pitch transposer to replace the Pitch Fork.

Mike

In my opinion EHX or Digitech does a better job at transposing. First of all the H9 unfortunately doesn’t have polyphonic pitch detection. Also the tracking of those mentioned brands is better.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Mike Yocum wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm new here. Please forgive me for my ignorant question, so far below the other questions and answers I've seen. I am well aware that Eventide is a premier effects provider to the music community, and it has my utmost respect!

(It also adds an odd artifact to the sound that I've grown to like, perhaps because I don't know any better!)

Mike

Have you tried H910/H949 and PitchFlex algorithms? Play with those factory presets in H9 Control. Let me know what you think.

Mike Yocum
      Bodde wrote:
      In my opinion EHX or Digitech does a better job at transposing. First of all the H9 unfortunately doesn’t have polyphonic pitch detection. Also the tracking of those mentioned brands is better.

Many thanks for your honest reply!

Mike

Bodde
      Participant
      Mike Yocum wrote:
      Bodde wrote:

Many thanks for your honest reply!

Mike

This is just my opinion. Others may have a different view. Don’t get me wrong I love my H9! One of my best purchases. But for transposing there are better options. Would love it if the H9 would get polyphonic pitch detection and maybe improved tracking.

Mike Yocum
      bohan wrote:

Have you tried H910/H949 and PitchFlex algorithms? Play with those factory presets in H9 Control. Let me know what you think.

Thank you for your reply! I was able to borrow my friend’s H9 over the weekend, and that answered all my questions.

Bodde
      Participant
      Mike Yocum wrote:

bohan wrote:

Thank you for your reply! I was able to borrow my friend’s H9 over the weekend, and that answered all my questions.

Now we are very curious about what you find out and think! Might be useful for other users as well. So share you thoughts oif you want.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.