H9 automatic double track patch?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 automatic double track patch?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Project 150
      Participant

Hi gang. Hello from Nashville. I play in a Beatles cover band and recently purchased an H9Max. I haven’t had much time to dig through all the patches, but is there an ADT type algorithm? Specifically looking for a tone like on “Nowhere Man.” Ok, I know those were really double-tracked, but surely this incredible little box has something that can approximate it…

Thanks!

GV

brock
      Participant

The MicroPitch algorithm is good for this, because it can blend three subtle pitch variations together.  But I’ll bet that about 1/3 of all algorithms are capable of some kind of doubling & ambient effect.

So focus on the algorithm type that offers the most control over what’s important (to you):  pitch variations, timing delays, EQ fine tuning, picking strength, modulation of the delays, etc.  All feature panned positioning, so a multi-channel, multi-amp, or stereo setup helps to ‘sell’ the illusion.

I like to map the PITCH / DELAY MIX control to an expression pedal, for varying the timing in real time.  Many of the preset FX below are mixed back.  You may want to start at a 50:50 MIX, and adjust it from there.

An algorithm sampler:

Project 150
      Participant

Brock, thank you. These are great places to start! I’ll let you know which one I end up using on our next show. GV

joegrant413
      Participant

Hi,

H9 Standard user here. I just discovered the joy of fattening up my tone with an H910/H949 setting here. I don’t see this algorithm used in this thread. Is the MicroPitch much better? Thx

brock
        Participant
        joegrant413 wrote:

Hi,

H9 Standard user here. I just discovered the joy of fattening up my tone with an H910/H949 setting here. I don’t see this algorithm used in this thread. Is the MicroPitch much better? Thx

Maybe in isolation.  The MicroPitch algo can focus more of its resources on a narrower range of pitch shift.  But I just A/B’ed the H910 / H949 preset (below), with the MicroPitch ‘Auto DoubleTrack’ preset (shown above). Among two H9’s, and a PitchFactor here, the two presets are not all that different in context.

The H910 / H949 preset is somewhat darker (no TONE parameter), and a little less animated (no LFO modulation).  I compensated by using one of the older models: H949-1.  [Each TYPE has it’s own character, colorations, ‘sweet spot’ for pitch changes, and degree of glitchy-ness.]

The point of my initial reply was to show how different algorithms can create similar effects.  Yet one or two parameters – unique to that algorithm – can tailor the effect (ADT, in these examples) to exactly what you want.

Here’s a perfect example:  Just tonight, I was experimenting with some Digitech Ricochet simulations.  I’d never considered using the PitchFlex algo for doubling before.  I stumbled upon this method by setting up a 50:50 MIX.  With an Aux / Performance switch in the H9’s – or with the FLEX switch on a PitchFactor – you can trigger doubling FX that sweep into ‘Hoover’ territory (and beyond).

Shift & return ‘ballistics’ can be customized independently.  The SHAPE of those sweeps are variable from ‘fast’, through linear, and ‘slow’.  Since FLEX is a momentary action, the doubling effects can be brief & shallow, or extended & deeper.  Control it with the hold & release times of your foot on the switch.

joegrant413
      Participant

Thanks for the reply, Double Double!

– Joe

brock
      Participant

This seems like the appropriate spot  to put this one.  Another unusual source for … unusual doubling effects.  It creates a tight little space around the input, with a bit of backwards ‘bloom’, slapback, and MicroPitch shifting.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.