H9 Aux Switch and Expression help/ideas/setup needed please

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Aux Switch and Expression help/ideas/setup needed please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      EBatzel

Hello,

I recently bought an H9 Max and have been having a blast with it.

However, in a live setting, I’d like to make it more user friendly for what I’m after.

I’ve done research but would like any community ideas/suggestion on my thoughts below.

With my tax return on its way back to me I’m looking to purchase this additional gear at the end of this month so I want to make sure I don’t need to return anything lol.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help/input!!

What I’m after:

I’m looking to use a 3-way Switch and Expression pedal with the H9.

The switch will control the hotswitch and the other 2 switches would control presets up and down.

The H9 can then just handle bypass on/off and tap tempo.

The Expression will…express lol.

Equipment:

3-way switch: I believe the recommended switch is not in production anymore so I’m considering the DigiTech FS3X which looks like it will work with the H9.

Anyone currently using one and have any issues or forsee any with how I’d like to set it up?

Expression pedal: I’m leaning toward the Source Audio Reflex Universal Expression Controller. I’m interested in this model due to its build as well as I’m intriguied by the pedals LFO options and what kind of noise might be made pumping them into the H9.

Setup: I’m assuming I’d run the Digitech switch from the Exp jack on the back of the H9.

Then I’d run the Expression via Midi. However, I have zero midi experience so I’ve honestly no clue how this works. Is it a simple setup? Will the pedals LFOs be transmitted? etc.etc.

Product info:

The switch is pretty standard so probably only this is relevant: Digitech FS3X Footswitch: “Durable 3-button metal chassis construction. A 10′ stereo TRS cable is included with each unit.”

The Expression has a ton more info…but I’m thinking only the Midi part will help answer my questions:

“MIDI Continuous Controller Messages: Send up to three independently configurable MIDI CC messages via the MIDI out”

Product link in case more info needed.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/reflex_universal_exp_controller.php

Thanks again everyone!

If this seems possible, I will buy the gear in the next couple weeks then might be back if I’m lost setting it up lol.

Cheers!

gkellum
      Participant

You shouldn't have any trouble with the FS3X. I have one myself and it works fine.

With regards to the MIDI expression pedal, I don't know that particular product, but generally speaking, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.  Hopefully, someone who has that product will chime in to describe their experience using it.

brock
      Participant

I use a Source Audio Reflex expression pedal with an H9 and PitchFactor (along with everything else).

The MIDI implementation is second to none.  The LFOs alone certainly bring the Eventide pedals to another level.  Almost too much.  That is, it can send more MIDI messages more rapidly than the stompboxes can comfortably handle.  It’s not a problem once you feel out where the upper limits are, and back off a little.  In other words, you’re not going to want to blast out 3 LFOs on three distinct parameters at fast rates.  By no means is that a deal breaker, but it’s something to be aware of.

The promised Reflex MIDI editor app is still not available, and has been reported by Source Audio to have no defined timeline for release.  So don’t count on that, if it matters to you.  I’ve read that the ‘Soundblox Pro Bass Envelope Filter Sequence Editor’ app can create User presets for the Reflex, but I haven’t confirmed that yet.  AFAIK, all Reflex programming will have to be dialed in manually for now.  Not that difficult, a bit of a learning curve, but tedious.  It would be a lot faster with an editor.

As far as the expression pedal implementation goes, it’s just as powerful as MIDI, and arguably better suited here.  I’ve experienced one quirk that I haven’t solved yet.  It burns 9V batteries with a TRS cable inserted; whether or not the Power switch is engaged.  I see a low voltage ‘bleed’ reflected in the on-board LEDs.  It has to do with my current DIP switch configuration [Normal], and perhaps my target device (through an EHX 8 Step Program before out to the actual pedals).  Not a problem with an attached power supply, or if you remember to unplug the cable (which I never seem to do).

EBatzel

Thanks for the heads up on the switch…one is now on the way so I can learn to program it before I grab the expression pedal.

And thanks for such insight on the expression pedal man! Good to know the quality is there with your experience using it.
      I’m sold and am buying in a couple weeks but fear the midi a bit lol. Though I’m guessing using H9 Control may make it easier? Need to read/learn more…
      I did find a YouTube showing the Reflex Expression pedal and H9 working together via trs and midi.

EBatzel

Just a followup…the Digitech FS3X Footswitch works awesome and setup was a breeze via Control.

The Source Audio Reflex Universal Expression Controller should deliver today…and I am hoping it is as easy as the switch to setup as I am midi-clueless.

Any tips can help from you vets though…my goal being to run expression via midi.

Not sure if it is possible but can the H9 also send tempo to the Reflex Expression to control the LFO timing?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

brock
        Participant
        EBatzel wrote:

Just a followup…the Digitech FS3X Footswitch works awesome and setup was a breeze via Control.

The Source Audio Reflex Universal Expression Controller should deliver today…and I am hoping it is as easy as the switch to setup as I am midi-clueless.

Any tips can help from you vets though…my goal being to run expression via midi.

I’m going to suggest something that may sound boring – take it slowly.  You’ve got huge capability between the H9 (+ aux switches) and the Reflex.  Pick out one specific goal (say, the treadle raising Mix from 0-50), and browse through the pertinent sections in the manual(s).  Then build on that success, and blend in a second goal.  For example, a single LFO controlling one Delay time.  If you get stuck along the way, this forum is great for a nudge in the right direction.

EBatzel wrote:

Not sure if it is possible but can the H9 also send tempo to the Reflex Expression to control the LFO timing?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

Yes, the H9 can control the tempo of the Reflex.  Set Shape to one of the LFOs.  Under Parameter [Min], turn the pot down below 000.  You can select 1-4, 1-3, 1-2, 1-1, 2-1, or 4-1.  Those correspond to Sixteenth, Triplet, Eighth, Quarter, Half, and Whole note sync, respectively.  For the upper limit, do the same with Parameter [Max].  The pedal will change note division rates between the MIN and MAX set values.

But I can see that you’re headed for trouble here.  Assuming no other MIDI devices in your system, you’re asking the H9 to be the MIDI master (clock out) AND a MIDI slave (LFO from the Reflex to H9 input) at the same time.  The Reflex will merge MIDI IN and MIDI Out data, but that’s not the problem.  You may be in for a MIDI feedback loop, if it even works at all.

There are some new MIDI modes in the H9 … Let me see what happens with the H9 and Reflex looped together like this (Ins to Outs).  Before any of this, you’ll want to get MIDI Channels matched between the two units, and experiment with the transmission and proper reception of MIDI messages

EBatzel

Was able to get the expression working via midi fairly quick (actually first go though I don’t understand much)…lots of fun so far to play with!

Now to figure out how to figure out stuff like calibration and how to configure the pedal for the LFO options as well hoping to learn if the H9s tap tempo could potentially regulate/sync the pedals LFO timing.

I might just make some racket the rest of the night and have fun now…learn more later lol.

EBatzel

Thank Brock!

I did find myself a bit overwhelmed and decided to just have fun playing last night with what is working now. I didn’t even get any LFOs working last night lol….but so many possibilities as is utilizing the expression along with the FS3X….lots of fun!

I will have to take my time, as you suggest, to learn a goal at a time. Looking forward to getting out of work today to mess about some more. smiley

danisev2001

Hello, 

I would like to use the Digitech FS3X Footswitch and the M-Audio expression pedal (http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/ex-p#.Vv_1-qSLTNM) using this this cable:

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

Regards, Daniel.

Alan Cork
      Participant

Hi, I have just tried a Mission Engineering EP-25K expression pedal, which is 25K, but it doesn’t work. I have an Ernie Ball Volume pedal which does work but I want to use that for something else. I bought the Mission pedal because it is 25K. Could be an expensive mistake! I am also using a Boss FS-5U switch. Any ideas why this pedal doesn’t work? It does the 0 -100-0 thing.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Alan Cork wrote:

Hi, I have just tried a Mission Engineering EP-25K expression pedal, which is 25K, but it doesn't work. I have an Ernie Ball Volume pedal which does work but I want to use that for something else. I bought the Mission pedal because it is 25K. Could be an expensive mistake! I am also using a Boss FS-5U switch. Any ideas why this pedal doesn't work? It does the 0 -100-0 thing.

We're not able to recommend the Mission pedal because of this issue. But there is a solution (if you wish to accept it). If you don't need details, skip the next two paragraphs.

The problem is that the Mission pedal is more of a volume pedal than an expression pedal, meaning that both ends of the potentiometer track are connected to the jack.

If you connect to it with a mono jack (as you must if using it with an AUX switch on an H9, or might with a Factor depending on your cables), this means that both ends of the pot are at ground or 0, while the highest value is in the middle of the track, giving you the 0-100-0 thing you mention.

The solution is to open the pedal and cut the wire leading to the ring terminal of the jack (ask a tech-y friend if necessary). This will fix it at minimal expense. Tape up the end of the cut wire in case you need to reconnect it at a future time.

Alan Cork
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Alan Cork wrote:

Hi, I have just tried a Mission Engineering EP-25K expression pedal, which is 25K, but it doesn’t work. I have an Ernie Ball Volume pedal which does work but I want to use that for something else. I bought the Mission pedal because it is 25K. Could be an expensive mistake! I am also using a Boss FS-5U switch. Any ideas why this pedal doesn’t work? It does the 0 -100-0 thing.

We’re not able to recommend the Mission pedal because of this issue. But there is a solution (if you wish to accept it). If you don’t need details, skip the next two paragraphs.

The problem is that the Mission pedal is more of a volume pedal than an expression pedal, meaning that both ends of the potentiometer track are connected to the jack.

If you connect to it with a mono jack (as you must if using it with an AUX switch on an H9, or might with a Factor depending on your cables), this means that both ends of the pot are at ground or 0, while the highest value is in the middle of the track, giving you the 0-100-0 thing you mention.

The solution is to open the pedal and cut the wire leading to the ring terminal of the jack (ask a tech-y friend if necessary). This will fix it at minimal expense. Tape up the end of the cut wire in case you need to reconnect it at a future time.

Thanks so much for such a quick reply. I still have the chance to send the pedal back so that’s what I’ll do.

I thought that all 25k pedals would be ok and it’s a bit frustrating (to say the least) that this issue hadn’t been highlighted before. Anyway, I’ll go for one of the recommended pedals, if I can find one.

danisev2001

Could you tell me if there is a cable with two female jacks…. I need one to use my M-Audio expressión pedal with my footswitch. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Daniel

nickrose wrote:

Alan Cork wrote:

We’re not able to recommend the Mission pedal because of this issue. But there is a solution (if you wish to accept it). If you don’t need details, skip the next two paragraphs.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        danisev2001 wrote:

Could you tell me if there is a cable with two female jacks…. I need one to use my M-Audio expressión pedal with my footswitch. 

I'm not aware of any suitable ones – they tend to be stereo to stereo (headphone splitters), and for this application you need stereo to mono. Hopefully someone reading this will know of one.

KCStratman
      Participant

“Insert” cables, available in short and long lengths, are essentially “Y” cables with a T/R/S 1/4″ male plug on one end that splits into two female jacks T/S and R/S on the other end. HOSA offers these in short Y adapters as well as longer cables. These accomodate splitting a stereo signal into two single cables, controlling two switches or pedals through one cable, inserting a compressor in/out into a console T/R/S insert jack, etc. I use a short insert adapter to run an expression pedal and a single button aux switch into an H9’s external control jack at the same time.

KCStratman
      Participant

By the way, i have been using a Mission Engineering 25K expression pedal with H9s for over a year and it works perfectly with no calibration. The dual output model will also sweep two devices at the same time.

Alan Cork
        Participant
        KCStratMan wrote:

By the way, i have been using a Mission Engineering 25K expression pedal with H9s for over a year and it works perfectly with no calibration. The dual output model will also sweep two devices at the same time.

It seems that pedals that work on their own cnnected to the exp socket don’t necessarily work when also used with a footswitch. I’m using the recommended Hosa splitter cable. I’ve got a Line 6 EX 1 coming and hoping it’s ok to use with the footswitch.

13cwc13

From an H9 can you run an OX9, Mission Expression pedal, Tesla latch all simultaneously or is the Tesla redundant?

Thanks

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        13cwc13 wrote:

From an H9 can you run an OX9, Mission Expression pedal, Tesla latch all simultaneously or is the Tesla redundant?

You can run an OX9 with an expression pedal OR another aux switch (Tesla)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.