H9 behavior on preset change

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 behavior on preset change

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      geido

Hello,

I am considering to purchase the H9 but want to know if a sound gap occurs during a preset change (program change via midi) or a kind of crossfade is generated between the two different scenarios.

Best,

Geido

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Alas, since the H9 can only run one effect at a time, it cannot crossfade between two of them. There is a brief period during loading where there is no effect (bypass).

geido
        nickrose wrote:

Alas, since the H9 can only run one effect at a time, it cannot crossfade between two of them. There is a brief period during loading where there is no effect (bypass).

Hi Nickrose, thanks for the quick reply. It’s a real pity that no spillover occurs during preset change, if this feature will be implemented it would be a great achievement. By the way, how long is this “brief period” ? Moreover, when you say “bypass” do I have to understand that the dry signal only can be heard through the stompbox?

Best, Geido

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        geido wrote:

It's a real pity that no spillover occurs during preset change, if this feature will be implemented it would be a great achievement.

It would indeed be a great achievement, as it would mean that the box had magically doubled its power.

geido wrote:

how long is this “brief period” ?

It depends on the algorithm – usually around half a second. The latest software loads faster than the old stuff.

geido wrote:

when you say “bypass” do I have to understand that the dry signal only can be heard through the stompbox?

Your understanding is correct.

geido
        nickrose wrote:

geido wrote:

It’s a real pity that no spillover occurs during preset change, if this feature will be implemented it would be a great achievement.

It would indeed be a great achievement, as it would mean that the box had magically doubled its power.

Thanks for the reply, I don’t know whether would be necessary to double the unit power or not. The bypassed signal during the loading process in a preset change may represent an unconvenient gap during gigs or live recordings and usually musicians complain about it. I use a sans amp bass driver deluxe (it’s the analog world btw so there’s no complex algorithm to be loaded) and no gap occurs switching among presets. I also remember few units (digital sound generators) from the nineties featuring the spillover during preset change (one was the Morpheus by EMU), and don’t think they doubled the playback power, in the sense that they didn’t let you play 2 presets at time. Don’t know if a digital sound processor is so different from a digital sound generator and I’m not a technician at all, but probably a buffer could manage the transition between the presets (?).

Thanks for availability and support,

Geido

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.