H9 Bluetooth connection errors

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Bluetooth connection errors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      toadovision
      Participant

I have just received an H9, registered and updated it. Rebooted both the H9 and iPad2 

I only have the H9 in my Bluetooth list.  50% power on the iPad, 2 bars of WiFi.

The H9 app is constantly reporting a lost connection to the H9 when I am editing/trying the presets.

The only reliable way to use the H9 is with the preset grid view, otherwise the app says it's tried to connect 5 times and gives up.  Should I turn off the WiFi too?  The H9 is about 3ft away from the iPad, all other Bluetooth devices are off.

Any thoughts?

jr

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Try turning of the WiFi to see if it makes a difference. It should not, but worth looking at.

toadovision
      Participant

I'll give that a try on Christmas Day when my wife gives me the H9 back.  

What I have noticed though is that I am in and use the UK date and time. The H9 is a gift from the USA and seems to be 'set' on USA time.  I say this because it was initially reporting the date as some time in October until I put my iPad into auto UK time. The H9 continued to get the date wrong, Now claiming 21st Dec 2014 when it is the 23rd.  

This would explain why I can select but not edit presets, the time difference would block synchronisation between iPad and H9

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Supposing she wants to keep it ?

Interesting thought about the UK time, but I'm not sure that the H9 itself cares – it does not have a real-time clock. I am concerned that it may be some kind of computer issue that will be hard for us to reproduce.

My guess is that unless you can resolve it at your end, you are going to send it to us to look at it. If you decide to do so, contact support@eventide.com first.

toadovision
      Participant

Still getting error messages whenever I attempt to use Bluetooth.  I have tried 2 x iPads (iOS7) and an old iPhone.   If I use a USB connection (OSX Mavericks)  everything is perfect and reliable.  But with Bluetooth it's always "given up after 5x tries" or  'The messages are garbled, please move your unit'.  

All very disappointing.

I've reset the unit.  Found the self test mode but I'm unable to tell by the display if it's found any diagnosis errors.  There are no other sources of Bluetooth within range, I have moved the unit away from other equipment and unplugged all connecting cables.

When I've tried to register the H9 with a different iOS device it fails to connect to your server and I cannot register it multiple iOS devices.   But always good with USB.

Any thoughts on how i can perform a proper test/reset on this unit?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

gkellum
      Participant

toadovision:

Any thoughts on how i can perform a proper test/reset on this unit?

You can turn Bluetooth off and on by pressing the X, Y, and Z switches simultaneously, and switching Bluetooth off and on can help when having pairing problems. This problem is a bit more unusual though. Are you powering the H9 with the Eventide power supply that came with the unit?  More often than not the really odd problems have been due to the power supply.

toadovision
      Participant

Good thought on the power supply.  I am using the supplied unit, but it could be a faulty. I've checked my power for earth problems, but it's OK.  Your power is two pin anyway.  I'll pick up another transformer.  

Do you know if there is a limit to the number of devices that the H9 can be registered to?  I am finding it impossible to log onto your server using the iPhone.  I have already registered it with an OSX and at least one iOS.   Would it be sensible to delete my account and start again?  (Really clutching at straws here)

i have used the xyz to switch the Bluetooth on and off but the fault remains.

Many many thanks for your answers, I appreciate that this forum is being monitored.   On a positive note, I bought the H9 for the pitch shifting, but I am astounded by the reverb and compression, big and. beautiful spaces.

gkellum
      Participant

toadovision:

Do you know if there is a limit to the number of devices that the H9 can be registered to?  I am finding it impossible to log onto your server using the iPhone.  

There's no limit to the number of devices that an H9 can be registered to.  And I can't think of any reason why you would be having more trouble using your H9 with your iPhone than with your other iOS devices.  But since your other iOS device is sometimes losing its connection to your H9, I would guess it's the same underlying problem, and for whatever reason your iPhone is just more affected by it.

It would be great if you could try a different transformer and see if that helps.  If the H9 isn't getting enough current, that problem could manifest itself in strange behavior.  (Also, if you haven't updated your H9 to the latest software from OSX to get the resonator algorithm yet, that would also be good to do.)  If that doesn't help though, please let us know at support@eventide.com;  we'll probably need to get your H9 in so we can take a look at it.

Thank you for being patient with this problem.  It must have been a disappointment to have trouble using the Bluetooth functionality given that's one of the defining characteristics of the H9, but we will get this sorted out.  I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying using the algorithms.  

carstens
        Participant

Having now tried multiple times with three different iPads and two different iPhones, I am a bit concerned that Eventide staff is seeking to find all sorts of reasons beyond own software/hardware. I have permanent prioblems connecting my H9 to an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 6S, but have so far not had any problems connectiong it to my iPad Pro, my iPad 2 Air, and my old iPad 2. As the H9 app is available for both iPhone and iPad, I would suggest that Eventide perhaps have a closer look to see if the problem might not be in their app and non in different power supplies and other reasons? The bluetooth preferences page shows that the H9 is connected but the app sends connectivity problems (see attached screenshots). I have so far never been able to reproduce any of these error messages on either of my iPads, but only twice been able to connect to either of my iPhiones, and only after a complete H9 factory reset (not ideals as I hope you acknowledge). My advice to others would be to avoid the H9 if you rely on an iPhone to interface with.

gkellum wrote:
        toadovision:

Do you know if there is a limit to the number of devices that the H9 can be registered to?  I am finding it impossible to log onto your server using the iPhone.  

There’s no limit to the number of devices that an H9 can be registered to.  And I can’t think of any reason why you would be having more trouble using your H9 with your iPhone than with your other iOS devices.  But since your other iOS device is sometimes losing its connection to your H9, I would guess it’s the same underlying problem, and for whatever reason your iPhone is just more affected by it.

It would be great if you could try a different transformer and see if that helps.  If the H9 isn’t getting enough current, that problem could manifest itself in strange behavior.  (Also, if you haven’t updated your H9 to the latest software from OSX to get the resonator algorithm yet, that would also be good to do.)  If that doesn’t help though, please let us know at support@eventide.com;  we’ll probably need to get your H9 in so we can take a look at it.

Thank you for being patient with this problem.  It must have been a disappointment to have trouble using the Bluetooth functionality given that’s one of the defining characteristics of the H9, but we will get this sorted out.  I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying using the algorithms.  

gkellum
        Participant
        carstens wrote:

I have permanent prioblems connecting my H9 to an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 6S, but have so far not had any problems connectiong it to my iPad Pro, my iPad 2 Air, and my old iPad 2. 

Do you have iOS 9.3.1 installed on your iPhones?  As noted in this forum post, there was a bug in iOS 9.3.1 that caused Bluetooth connectivity problems in certain iOS devices.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/ios-931-and-broken-bluetooth-connectivity

carstens wrote:

Having now tried multiple times with three different iPads and two different iPhones, I am a bit concerned that Eventide staff is seeking to find all sorts of reasons beyond own software/hardware. As the H9 app is available for both iPhone and iPad, I would suggest that Eventide perhaps have a closer look to see if the problem might not be in their app and non in different power supplies and other reasons? 

We're more than happy to look at your H9 if you want to send it in to us.  We hate having people send things in though and then have to tell them that we couldn't reproduce the problem and so there's nothing we can do to help.

When there is a problem with an H9, normally we'll see it behaving in one or more easily recognizable ways that we've seen before, and we'll ask people to send it in to us or return it.  If it's not a problem that fits a pattern we recognize, we have to ask people to do a bit more work to help narrow things down.

toadovision
      Participant

Found a good transformer (1000ma) so enough power there.  Unfortunately it didn't make any difference.  

BUT, I have found that if I firstly select a preset on the H9 it correctly syncs to the iPad and the iPad then controls/edits the H9.  

Rather than trying to firstly select a preset on the iPad, because that always ends in comms failure.

BUT, if I try to select a preset on the iPad the error message appears.  

[View:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h75uc2xdelk0ldh/jE43_FmM2C:550:0%5D

Seems that once a link is established H9 to iPad then that 'sticks' and the preset can be accessed and edited on the iPad.  Until a new preset is attempted on the iPad, then the link is lost.  

The first thing I did when I received the unit was to update to the new software.   I will try to go back a version and see if that works better, then do the update again.  By the way, the voucher that came with the unit does that expire at midnight?

Happy New Year

gkellum
      Participant

toadovision:

Found a good transformer (1000ma) so enough power there.  Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. 

It's great that you found a transformer.  It's disappointing to hear that you're still having the problem.  It would be good to go ahead and reinstall the software again as a last ditch attempt, but it's sounding like we're going to need to take a look at your H9.  The problems that you are describing don't normally happen when using Bluetooth, and I think we're going to need to look at the hardware.  If you want to send an email to support@eventide.com with a link to this forum thread, we can get that sorted out.

toadovision:

By the way, the voucher that came with the unit does that expire at midnight?

The voucher that comes with the unit never expires.  

toadovision
      Participant

arrgh, it's finally driven me over the edge.  Reset the H9 and took it back a firmware version, reset it again. Removed H9 from Bluetooth list on iPad and added it again.  Same sync problems.  Installed new firmware, tried both transformer, same problems.

Noticed the date thing again.  Selecting a preset on the H9 brings up today's date, selecting the same preset on the iPad brings up Christmas Day

[View:https://www.dropbox.com/sc/btdjlizjjo0n1oc/zBfZv6LIb_:550:0%5D

Desperately tried putting iPad onto New York time.  I appreciate that you said the H9 didn't have a real time clock but for syncing I thought a sense of time would be handy.  Hugely frustrating as it took me about 40 days to get hold of this unit as a couple of people let me down, then one arrives and it doesn't like to talk.  I would love to blame my iPad, but I have tried an iPad 2, a new iPad Mini (retina)  and a 3gs iPhone, each time the same error message when I select a preset.   As per your suggestion I'll get in touch with support.   Thank you for your input but I think I've waved goodbye to £350.00

John R

gkellum
      Participant

toadovision:

arrgh, it's finally driven me over the edge…   Thank you for your input but I think I've waved goodbye to £350.00

I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time with your unit.  We will get this problem fixed though.  Thank you for sending an email in to support.  If your unit is at fault, it will either be fixed or replaced.

dolphin1407

Hi,

I am having the same problems with my H9. The problem occurred out of the blue after having worked with the H9 for six months without any problem.

So is there any new information or – preferably – a solution to this issue? I have followed all suggestions in this threat but none of it helped.

Thanks,

Uwe

gkellum
      Participant

dolphin1407:

I am having the same problems with my H9. The problem occurred out of the blue after having worked with the H9 for six months without any problem.

So is there any new information or – preferably – a solution to this issue? I have followed all suggestions in this threat but none of it helped.

Could you send an email to support@eventide.com about the issue briefly describing the behavior you're seeing, how you're powering your H9, and which country you're using it in?

jonnyjain

I have recently purchased a new Dell laptop and I am unable to connect my laptop to my Bluetooth speaker device. Then I can update my Dell Bluetooth Driver and I got the solution to them. For more information, you can also contact.

jpindustrie

I just came here to say, it is SUPER irresponsible for you (i mean Eventide team) to even joke that you guys have any expertise anything outside audio processing, ESPECIALLY bluetooth wireless connectivity optimization.

Connects NEVER happen and to see the number of “failed wireless updates bricked my device” is just plain IRRESPONSIBLE.

next h10 ditch the marketing hoopla wireless bs and save the $$ or use that budget towards another algo , the real value of why we give you guys $$$ in the first place.

camn
      Participant

I mean, it looks like he having trubles with his Dell and his Bluetooth speaker?

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      jpindustrie wrote:

I just came here to say, it is SUPER irresponsible for you (i mean Eventide team) to even joke that you guys have any expertise anything outside audio processing, ESPECIALLY bluetooth wireless connectivity optimization.

Connects NEVER happen and to see the number of "failed wireless updates bricked my device" is just plain IRRESPONSIBLE.

May I ask what connection issue does your H9 have?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.