H9 BPM problems

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 BPM problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      lordradish
      Participant

Hey, all,

I'm noticing something frustrating with my H9 that I don't know if it's a glitch or I'm doing something wrong…

It never seems as though tapping the tempo ever results in the sound ending up that proper tempo… for example, the TRANCE OCTAVES preset on the Harmodulator. I'm assuming that it would be broken up into eighth notes.. that's certainly what it sounds like, the lower octave on the downbeat and higher on the upbeat.  Yet, when I tap out a tempo, it always ends up sounding very different, and much slower than it's supposed to. Often, I don't see any correlation between the flashing tempo light and the tempo I'm hearing, or it's acting like the lights are at 16th note subdivisions. What's up with that? It's very frustrating, because often, I want things a certain tempo, and tapping NEVER seems to ever get it where it's supposed to be. I'll end up having to turn the knob to get it about where I want, and it'll be something ridiculous BPM in the 200's, when it certainly doesn't sound like it's in the 200's. Thoughts? Am I doing something wrong when setting up the preset?

Honestly, this is the only thing I don't like about my H9… I'm about to start collaborating with someone, and want to sync up our tempos, but if this is how it works, that simply isn't going to cut it.

brock
      Participant

In that Trance Octaves preset, you may be hearing the difference between the delays (in milliseconds), and the independent MOD SPEED setting (in % Hz.).  And when you tap in the tempo, both Delay times will change, but the modulation speed remains unaffected.

See if you hear better results with this variation on the Trance Octaves preset.  It will conform mod speed and delay time to sync while you tap in different tempos.

lordradish
      Participant

That seems to have done the trick… how does the second delay, if used, factor into this? As a rule, if, even on other algos, there's a delay 1 and a mod speed, generally, I want them to be the same value?

Thanks!

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      That seems to have done the trick… how does the second delay, if used, factor into this? …

In this particular preset, the 2nd delay is barely mixed in.  The tiny delay time makes its contribution into more of an added texture.  In most other presets, the 2nd delay takes on more of a presence.  More so if you run a stereo rig.

Quote:
      … As a rule, if, even on other algos, there's a delay 1 and a mod speed, generally, I want them to be the same value?

Always set Tempo to On.

With Tempo = Off, both Delays can be fine-tuned in milliseconds, and the percentage of Modulation Speed (some value in Hertz) is independent of that.  But when you start tapping in tempo, both delays will snap to the same value.  Any proportion in milliseconds that you had set up between 1st & 2nd delay times is lost.

With Tempo = On, the BPM changes the overall tempo, but the relationship between 1st & 2nd delays (fractional beats) is maintained.  Usually (there are exceptions to this), Modulation Speed will also change to a fraction / increment of the current BPM.  So you can sync the modulation rate with the delay times, and all of them remain proportional with tap tempo changes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.