H9-Chorus, Delay, Verb at one time?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9-Chorus, Delay, Verb at one time?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      rcartwright
      Participant

I am trying to put together a simple pedal board with one device handling Chorus, Delay and Reverb effects, either separately or all together.  For my gigs, I only need classic Choruses and a slap Delay.  I could use the verb from my amp, but I'd rather have verb on all my H9 presets in addition to Chorus and/or Delay FX.  I've read that the ModEchoVerb preset might allow this, but I don't know if it's a compromise or if it would allow me to save great-sounding Chorus+Verb, Delay+Verb and Chorus+Delay+Verb patches with no compromises.  

Thoughts?

Thanks!

tsutek
      Participant

IMHO the ModEchoVerb, while being flexible, is a bit underwhelming when you compare it to the algos that only do one of the fx out of the three. Small delay times seemed to behave a bit strangely – you cant do mooreverbesque delay tones with it IIRC for example. I'd say it depends very much on what you intend to use it with – perhaps for guitar use it would be very suitable? I use my H9 as a general purpose fx unit, so YMMV.

Demo thorroughly before buying any algo is always my advice with the H9 🙂

rcartwright
      Participant

Thanks Tsutek, for your input.  I guess I'd need a 2 or 3 of these boxes to do what I need, and the expense would be high.  I'll need to look further for an Eventide or TC-quality box that will do more than one thing at a time and is small.

Thanks again!

tsutek
      Participant

I did not mean the ModEchoVerb is rubbish tho, I just said that compared to all the other, more "one effect" algorihtms on the H9, it feels a bit boring. But there's so, so much more to the H9 than MEV. But yeah, buying a H9 just for that single algo would not be a good idea IMO. Why not buy a cheap zoom etc multifx-box to do what ModEchoVerb does, and then get the H9 to go freaky with something more esoteric? Or use the H9 to do one or two of the fx that you want (lot more algos on the H9 that do 2 things than 3). Most of the Space and Timefactory algos are solid after all <3

rcartwright
      Participant

I'll have to look into this further.  I was looking for one small pedal that would do it all with high quality.  It's for gigging where I just need the classics and don't need the sound of an asteroid exploding in a bell factory.  Neither TC nor Eventide make a small pedal that does modulation + delay + 'verb (although I could live without the 'verb part).  I've looked at the Zoom and it may work for my needs if if sounds good, is quiet and has a true bypass when off.  Does the H9 have a number of algo's that do both chorus and delay with great quality?  Eventide should have a page on their site (or at least iin the manual) that lists the algorythms and exactly what they do best.  Any other pedals about the same size as the H9 that would do what I want?

Thank you!

tsutek
      Participant

Hmm, sounds like the ModDelay algo from the timefactor might be worth looking into in that case? I haven't yet demoed it myself, will check it and report back.

FWIW I bought my H9 because of the expected quality of the algos, and so far they're living up to the hype. The sound quality is there in the rack-fx category, not your regular budget pedal at all!

PS: Having skimmed through a 70-page thread about the H9 on another (guitarist) forum, it seems that a lot of guitar players really like the ModEchoVerb algo, especially the "echospace of god" preset seems to get a lot of praise.. But my personal opinion still stands, 3 x H9 pedals (or even two) would get you so much farther if you need all three fx at once (as you'd have total control over the reverb predelays, lo/high dampings, a multitude of options for the delay flavour (tape echo/vintage BBD/multitap etc)..)

tsutek
      Participant

PS: I recommend checking out the H9 algorithm guide. The downloadable PDF is on eventide's support section.

Also, if you download the H9 control app to your iOS device or computer, you can listen to sound demos of all the various algos from within the app, even without having a H9. IIRC all the demos were guitar sounds.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.