H9 control latest version doesn’t start on Windows 7 anymore

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 control latest version doesn’t start on Windows 7 anymore

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Dragonsf
      Participant

When I try to start H9 control, nothing seems to happen. Looking at the taskmanager, I can see 3 instances of H9 control, but they are unresponsive. Debugging is not possible. In save mode, the program starts fine, but of course can’t connect to the H9. Any idea, how to solve this? Uninstall is also not possible, behaves the same way as control.

gkellum
      Participant

Well, I suppose a good place to start would be to delete H9 Control's properties file, which is under C:/Users/your-user-name/AppData/Roaming/H9 Control/h9_settings.properties.  (AppData is a hidden directory; you'll need to adjust the settings of Windows Explorer to see it.)  You'll need to kill those three running instances first so they don't recreate it and then after deleting that properties file, you should restart your computer.

Dragonsf
      Participant

This didn’t help. Matter of fact is, I tried to install the H9 Control on a different Windows 7 system with the same result. I also can’t even kill the processes.

I can attach a deb ugger to one of those, but not all. Using the debugger, I can see, the process is on break with int 3 at ntldr.dll.

If I start the program with a debugger, the debugger also hangs.

Another strange thing is the program is 32bit, but uses 64-bit libraries (according to dependency walker).

gkellum
        Participant

Well we'll check it out.  We built and ran the app on a Windows 7 machine before posting, but that's no guarantee that it's error free.

Dragonsf
      Participant

One correction: the dll is ntdll.dll not ntldr.dll

Dragonsf
      Participant

I installed H9 control on a XP virtual machine. It worked, but had no access to the H9. Is doesn’t loom like an HW issue.

gkellum
        Participant
        Dragonsf wrote:

I installed H9 control on a XP virtual machine. It worked, but had no access to the H9. Is doesn't loom like an HW issue.

There's a section in the H9 Control manual on trouble shooting connectivity issues on Windows.  You can read the manual either inside H9 Control under Settings / Help, or online: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/H9ControlManual.pdf.  The relevant section starts around pg 10 in the pdf.

gkellum
      Participant

Ignore my last post…  I thought someone else altogether was posting about an unrelated problem on Windows XP…  Sorry for the confusion…

So we're installed the latest version of H9 Control on three Windows 7 machines in the office, and it worked fine on all of them.  We also haven't made any significant changes to the Windows build in quite some time, and as it's built with a build script, it's built in the same way on the same machine every time we do a new build.  

I have a couple of thoughts about the problem you've been having.  Do you have any anti-virus software installed on your Windows machine that might be blocking or quarantining the app?  And are you having any trouble with any other apps?  The reason for the latter question is that Windows machines just seem to get messed up after some period of time, and sometimes, you just have to reinstall the OS…

Dragonsf
      Participant

I’m having similar thoughts and I came to believe, some Windows update by Miucrosoft screwed up the dll’s. As I written before, I tried it on a different installation (which unluckily got the same update) and it didn’t work either. What I can see, that ntdll.dll have different sizes in System32 and SysWOW64 . I also disabled my Avast antivir, which didn’t help. Of course, I could always use my iPod for H9 control, but AFAIK, I can’t import settings from the web.

gkellum
        Participant
        Dragonsf wrote:

I could always use my iPod for H9 control, but AFAIK, I can't import settings from the web.

You mean presets and preset lists?  You can do that although it will be a bit more complicated in your case because H9 Control isn't launching on your Windows machine…  You can download the archive files with your presets and preset lists into the app in iOS device from the Mail app or Safari…

Normally, you'd do this by going to Settings in H9 Control and then Export Presets and Preset Lists.  When you export your stuff using H9 Control, it creates an h9z file.  This file is really just a zip file…  You could create this file yourself by going to C:/Users/your-user-name/AppData/Roaming/H9 Control, selecting the Presets and PresetLists directories (or whichever you want), right clicking on them, and selecting the 'Send to Compressed (zipped) folder' option.  Then, rename the created zip file so that it has a .h9z extension.  You can email that file to yourself and download it into H9 Control form Mail or Safari.

Dragonsf
      Participant

I found your email regarding loading presets into iOS H9 control and it works. I also tried to run H9 control on a friend’s machine and it worked there.

Looks like my machine is mixed up. If you have no other suggestion, I’ll use the iPad for control, until I had the opportunity to fix my machine. Thanks for your efforts.

Dragonsf
      Participant

After some Windows 7 updates by MS, the control is working again.

gkellum
        Participant
        Dragonsf wrote:

After some Windows 7 updates by MS, the control is working again.

Great!  That's good news?  It's a bit disconcerting that Windows can update itself and break things and then update itself again and suddenly everything is working again.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.