H9 Crashes | H9 Max Dark 5.8.5.1 Crash

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Crashes | H9 Max Dark 5.8.5.1 Crash

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Decibull
      TLDR – Witnessing a crash on preset 2, 6, 32 firmware 5.8.5

I got my first H9 yesterday, pulled it out of the box, plugged in the included power supply, and started to try out the preset patches. I was skipping through a bunch of them but when I came back around to patch #2 (Echo Algorithm), I witnessed a crash and the sound cut out. An `e` character appeared on the display and I believe the bluetooth light was on as well. Clicked all the butttons and moved the wheel, but nothing happened. 

I unplugged the H9 and plugged it back in. It started up and worked normally again on preset 1. I went back to patch 2 and played for a few seconds, then another crash. I reproduced this two more times after this. Started the device, moved to patch 2, crash 3-5 seconds later. 

I restarted the H9 and started to explore other algorithms to see if I could get it to crash. I breifly played each patch (skipping a couple) until I got to patch 32 call Knife Walker (HotSawz algo). This patch sounded amazing, but after playing a chord, two seconds later….Crash! Similar to before, on the H9 display showed a single character (i can’t recall which one) and unresponsive buttons requiring a reset. At this point I felt syncing up with a phone would help to see more information. 

I got to the Eventide account log-in on my iOS and received an error instructing to hold the black center button while powering the device to do a factory reset and to reset the app on my phone. When I did this on the H9 I got into a weird menu that I couldn’t decipher. I moved the wheel and clicked it a few times. It seemed to kick off a process on a couple of my clicks, at one point ERASE 1, ERASE 2, ERASE 3, etc. displayed so I though initially that It was going through a factory reset. I refered to the manual  and found out the actual method included the tap switch. So I presss the center and tap buttons down and powered the device to start a reset. Side note, while looking for the factory reset in the manual I also tried to figure out what I had done when pressing  the center button and powering up the device. No luck. What happened there? I moved on and the factory reset was complete.

Progress! The Echo algorithm on preset 2 ran fine then I continued to explore different patches. I found a harmonizer patch and realized I needed to tune up a bit. When I tried to activate the tuner the display showed NOTUNA and after a couple seconds reverted back to display the patch name. At this point I start reviewing the videos I watched before the H9 had arrived to confirm I was taking the right steps to activate the tuner. I went to the H9 Control and tried to activate the tuner there, same results, NOTUNA on the H9 display.

I started to search the internets for anyone that had experienced NOTUNA on their H9 without any luck. I started to get suspicious of the earlier action I performed when getting the eventide account login error on my iOS. At this point I knew the firmware was in a bad state so I went into H9 Control and reinstalled 5.8.5.1. After it completed, I went straight to the tuner. Progress! Tuner working as expected and actually better than expected. I’ve never had a tuner that was so responsive and accurate. I jumped over to preset 2 and tried to repro the crash again. 8-10 seconds in, Crash! At this point it was late so I concluded my testing for the day.

Day 2

I wanted to start testing each algorithm to see if I could pinpoint certain algorithms that would crash. I found the Auto Wah on preset 6 would crash consistently and then came in contact again with Knife Walker on preset 32. I started to wonder if maybe the power in my apartment is flakey or maybe a cable I was using had gone bad. I switched from my TRS to Stereo TS Cable I use to feed the H9 stereo signal into the Strymon Iridium. In it’s place I ran a TS cable from output 1 on the H9 to the Iridium for a mono setup. Still preset 2, 6, and 32 consistently crashed.

I’m going to downgrade to the firmware previous and do some more testing later this evening. I suspect something is wrong in the latest firmware 5.8.5.1 and I will immediately test out the Echo, Wah, and HotSawz algorithms. I’ll update the thread once complete.

For now, I’m going to run to GC and pick up a power conditioner mainly because I’ve needed one for some time. I don’t have a clue how electricity works past the basics, so is my theory above at all possssible? Could I have some sort of flakey electricty signal running through my apartment. The building is fairly new, I believe they were built 7 or so years ago. Will a power conditioner even help clean up a flakey signal.

Gear Used in order of signal path:

Gibson LP 2014

H9 Max Dark,  firmware 5.8.5.1

TRS to Stereo TS cable (Day 1)  / Mono TS cable (Day 2)

Strymon Iridium

Audio Technica ATH-m50x headphoness

Decibull

I downgraded to 5.8.2 and still the same issues,

daviddb
      Participant

Have you raised a ticket?

Contact Us

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Before you try downgrading the unit (or afterwards), if you have not done so, try the "Restore Purchases" function available under "Settings"..

Decibull

So hopefully I translated this to PC.

In the H9 Control Desktop app, I clicked the Pedal Settings tab at the bottom And then clicked Install Software while the 5.8.5 Version was highlighted.

Still same result. Pedal resets from the reinstall of the firmware, I turn to preset 2, crash.

I got a reply from my ticket this morning saying my issue was sent off to an engineer. 

I think I have a lemon at this point. Both the 5.8.5 and 5.8.2 firmware showed the same behavior.

Hello guys, I would like to ask you if there is a problem in my H9 Max.

The symptoms are:

-Freezing suddenly after some time of use (20-40 minutes)

-Getting hot

-Need to unplug the power adapter and wait a while to turn it again and use.

-when it freezes, appear the letter “E” and sometimes letter “V” on the display, and no sound (nothing) comes out of the pedal.

It happened once and when I immediately restarted (unpluging and pluging the power), it appeared as H9Core….and no Alg were listed.

I restarted again and it started as H9 Max, but it crashed ang turned it off all by itself.

I reinstalled the latest firmware again but it keept freezing after some use and to a pedal, in my opinion it is getting a little bit hot….

I just bought the pedal, and would like to know if this is a sw or hw issue related, because I’m in Brazil and I hardly doubt that there’s someone able to fix it here.

Decibull
      daviddb wrote:

Have you raised a ticket?

Contact Us

Yes. It says they only respond during business hours so that won’t help me till Monday and this started on Friday.

Decibull
      nickrose wrote:

Before you try downgrading the unit (or afterwards), if you have not done so, try the “Restore Purchases” function available under “Settings”..

I had already downgraded at this point so I went ahead and tried restoring purchases. Still same behavior. I upgraded back to 5.8.5 and tried Restoring Purchases again. Still same behavior.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Decibull wrote:

I had already downgraded at this point so I went ahead and tried restoring purchases. Still same behavior. I upgraded back to 5.8.5 and tried Restoring Purchases again. Still same behavior.

To me it sounds like the firmware was not installed correctly. Could you try reinstalling the 5.8.5 firmware using the Direct Updater via USB? The Direct Updater is bundled within H9 Control. You can find it by clicking "Window" -> "Open Eventide Direct Updater" in the menu bar of the Mac version of H9 Control.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Decibull wrote:

In the H9 Control Desktop app, I clicked the Pedal Settings tab at the bottom And then clicked Install Software while the 5.8.5 Version was highlighted.

Still same result. Pedal resets from the reinstall of the firmware, I turn to preset 2, crash.

I got a reply from my ticket this morning saying my issue was sent off to an engineer. I think I have a lemon at this point. Both the 5.8.5 and 5.8.2 firmware showed the same behavior.

Did you try the Eventide Direct Updater as I said in the last post? Please give it a shot and after installing the latest firmware, please reinitialze your H9 by powering it up while holding the black knob and the right footswitch.

Decibull
      bohan wrote:

Decibull wrote:

I got a reply from my ticket this morning saying my issue was sent off to an engineer. I think I have a lemon at this point. Both the 5.8.5 and 5.8.2 firmware showed the same behavior.

Did you try the Eventide Direct Updater as I said in the last post? Please give it a shot and after installing the latest firmware, please reinitialze your H9 by powering it up while holding the black knob and the right footswitch.

As I said in the last post, I’ll try to translate to PC (since you only provided Mac instructions and now that I’ve figure it out through digging on my own, don’t see anything you described in the PC H9 Control UI). I did end up finding the Direct Update tool, ran the install for 5.8.5, ran the Initialize by holding the black dial and tap buttons down, switch to preset 2, crash.

Sending back to Sweetwater for a refund. Also paid extra for fast shipping for a lemon unit. Really suprised that a crash where no sound comes through the pedal is even possible. I would expect in the case a ‘crash” happened somewhere in the firmware that it would have a safety net that would switch on and pass the uneffected signal through instead.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      l_sap_ccs_crm wrote:

I just bought the pedal, and would like to know if this is a sw or hw issue related, because I’m in Brazil and I hardly doubt that there’s someone able to fix it here.

Are you using the factory power supply? Have you tried factory reset your pedal? (Power up your H9 with pressing and holding the right footswitch and the big black konb)

What is the MIDI IN for? After you reset your H9, please let us know if this issue still happens without MIDI connection.

bohan wrote:

l_sap_ccs_crm wrote:

Are you using the factory power supply? Have you tried factory reset your pedal? (Power up your H9 with pressing and holding the right footswitch and the big black konb)

What is the MIDI IN for? After you reset your H9, please let us know if this issue still happens without MIDI connection.

Yes, I am using the power supply provided by Eventide. Tried the factory reset – nothing changed.

The cable in MIDI in is from my fc, if you’re wondering, I did all the things all over again with the cable disconected and nothing changed again.

Tried the Eventide Diret Update…t erased the firmware and now, when I plug the power chord, it lights up and then goes off….nothing happens or appears o the display.

I don’t know what else I could do right now…

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      l_sap_ccs_crm wrote:

Yes, I am using the power supply provided by Eventide. Tried the factory reset – nothing changed.

The cable in MIDI in is from my fc, if you're wondering, I did all the things all over again with the cable disconected and nothing changed again.

Tried the Eventide Diret Update…t erased the firmware and now, when I plug the power chord, it lights up and then goes off….nothing happens or appears o the display.

I don't know what else I could do right now…

Email support@eventide.com

bohan wrote:

l_sap_ccs_crm wrote:

The cable in MIDI in is from my fc, if you’re wondering, I did all the things all over again with the cable disconected and nothing changed again.

I don’t know what else I could do right now…

Email support@eventide.com

Thanks man, I already sent and openned a ticket!

Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.