H9 CrushStation – Crawdaddy preset

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 CrushStation – Crawdaddy preset

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      smalsbury

Does anyone else find that the input gain is way too hot for this particular preset?

I’ve tried a couple of guitars, Les Paul and Telecaster. Both passive. Even at low volume, I get clipping.

Any suggestions?

gkellum
      Participant

Do you have the analog input gain of your H9 turned up?  You might want to check your signal levels by clicking on Pedal in the bottom right hand corner of H9 Control and going to the Input Gain and Level Meters section.

smalsbury

Do you have the analog input gain of your H9 turned up?  You might want to check your signal levels by clicking on Pedal in the bottom right hand corner of H9 Control and going to the Input Gain and Level Meters section.

I have checked and it is set to zero. Can the input gain be saved per preset, or is it just the output level? (I don’t have access to it using an iPad at this time, I’m just using the Windows version of H9 Control via a USB connection).

I’ve tried a few different guitars now (I work in a music store, so I’m letting the staff try out the new presets on my pedal). On a couple of Tele’s, the clipping isn’t as bad. All of the other CrushStation presets seem to behave as expected. It is just this one preset that the clipping is really prevalent on. I’ll do more troubleshooting and try a few more guitar combinations. I’ll see what I can find out. I’ll also have my iPad back by tomorrow, so I’ll be able to do some real-time parameter tweaking. 

jnorris
      Participant

I noticed that the volume is more even with the H9 in front of the amp. It seems that in the effects loop the volume drops. I’m curious if you have the same result.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

I took a look a this preset.  The basic preset values are just set up to be very loud.  The Output Volume is set at 4 dB and the Sustain is full blast Post Distortion at 100.  Post Sustain tends to add volume b/c it's a compressor that is adjusting threshold, ratio, output gain, and attack/release all on one knob in an attempt to provide a long lasting sustain at a nominal volume level.  Best bet to preserve the sound of the preset is just turn down the Output Gain to something like -6 dB or whatever works for you. You could also turn do the amount of Post Sustain.  In general, a little bit of clip light on the attacks of notes should be OK.  

Also, that Post Sustain was designed at the extreme ends to do that spanky compressor attack you would get from an Orange Crush or MXR compressor pedal.  

smalsbury
        wedelich wrote:

I took a look a this preset.  The basic preset values are just set up to be very loud.  The Output Volume is set at 4 dB and the Sustain is full blast Post Distortion at 100.  Post Sustain tends to add volume b/c it’s a compressor that is adjusting threshold, ratio, output gain, and attack/release all on one knob in an attempt to provide a long lasting sustain at a nominal volume level.  Best bet to preserve the sound of the preset is just turn down the Output Gain to something like -6 dB or whatever works for you. You could also turn do the amount of Post Sustain.  In general, a little bit of clip light on the attacks of notes should be OK.  

Also, that Post Sustain was designed at the extreme ends to do that spanky compressor attack you would get from an Orange Crush or MXR compressor pedal.  

Thanks for the info. That got me pointed in the right direction…

I finally had a chance to sit down and dive into this a little more with my iPad. I messed around with the parameters in real time and what I found is this:

If I have the Sustain turned up to about the 3 o’clock postion or above and then add in any amount of Sag, I will get clipping at the initial attack (even if the guitar volume is low). At least now I know what to tweak.

What I find really strange however, is that the clipping that I experienced with this particular preset on Monday and Tuesday morning was much more intense than when I sat down today with the pedal this evening. (e.g. fret noise would cause it and the clipping would last for the length of a sustained note, again even at low guitar volume). I wasn’t the only one to experience this. Like I said, I brought my pedal into the store where I work so the staff could demo the new algorithm and we all noticed the same thing. Maybe the bits needed a chance to settle in? wink

st.bede
      Participant

Are you saying like a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer? The mxr and the orange squeezer are a bit difference, in as much as, two different types of the color green are.. enough difference to have preference given a certain context.

Oskykid

Glad to find someone asked this question.  I just downloaded Crushstation and was really bummed about the clipping.  Guess it is tweaking time.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.