h9 distortions sculpt crushstation..etc..

Home Forums Products Stompboxes h9 distortions sculpt crushstation..etc..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      aliengtr
      Participant

hi,

I just dont get the sculpt and crush stations as far as distortion, I am running an h9 as a stompbox into clean ch amp and it sounds so weak, my $35 used digitech rp70 blows it away distortion wise, I guess I am missing what the sculpt and crushstation are for or how to use them properly? I went through the presets and they all sounded like dog doo in my setup while the delays and rverbs were awesome….

In fact some of the h9 algorithmns are complete useless turds while others are just amazing…go figure, that first preset on spacetime is weak for example while the next preset is great. the delays and reverbs are sweet, distortion is crap it seems (worse then my behringer distortion ch on one of my amps)..am I doing something wrong connection wise? perhaps my clean ch?.

I thought distortion would be like similar to a rat pedal ,mxr,dod,etc…

joinpobob

Hey man, 

Well, I think the jury is still out.  I was a big proponant of adding distortion to the H9 (not that I had any say in it).  I am relatively pleased with the two dirt algorithms, but I have not integrated them much into my playing, to be honest.  To the extent I understand Eventide and the concept of the H9, they / it (whatever) are focused on making unique sounds and providing users unique capabilities.  I think if you want a standard dirt pedal, the 500 H9 is not for you.  If you want a rig that can do it all (but not do everything great), you get one of those all in one electronic pedalboards (like a TC Nova System).  

Now, that being said, it is a cool concept, but for most of us (or at least me), I often want to get a sound like a particular song I like.  So I do not need anything crazy – or perhaps extraordinary is a better word.  With my H9s (and the rest of my board), I do feel like I can achieve almost any sound you can thing of, which is really cool.  But when I want distortion, these days at least, I am just hitting one of my dirt pedals.  

RE Crushstation – I really like the Sag feature.  I feel like I can get some really splatty and gnarly tones that work well for a couple of songs we do.  The octave seemed cool (like a blue box), but I find it underwhelming.  

RE Sculpt – I have only just begun to explore this algorithm, so who knows.  I do find it more usable than crushstation.  While I play a variety of sounds, I think that I can get some really nice low distortion sounds out of it.  Especially when I want some cleaner highs with some muddier lows.  

For both, I think volume is an issue.  Once I play with all the settings, it is hard to tell how well it will blend with the mix.  

With all that said, it would be cool to dial in some tones and save then, and then be able to switch around to presets without having to change the knobs on your dirt pedals.  But for that, perhaps a run of the mill electronic pedaloard would be better (but really, none of them do dirt well).  

So, as I said, in my humble opinion, the jury is still out on whether these are good additions.  

BMW-KTM
      Participant

I find Crush Station very useful but I’m not a metal guy.

I like to hear my guitar through the grind.

Crush Station lets the sound of my guitar come through.

Try turning up the sustain.

I have found that adding sustain does more than just add sustain it also seems to darken tone which takes the sound of my guitar out of the equation.

If you’re looking for a darker tone that masks the sound of the guitar, like a TS9 or equivalent, I suggest you try sustain.

I don’t think any amount of tweaking is going to satisfy someone into metal or grunge.

For classic rock I think it’s damned near perfect.

I’ve taken two (of four) OD/Dist pedals out of my board because the H9 sounds better to my ears.

Still have not tried Sculpt yet.

BMW-KTM
      Participant

By the way, just for the sake of clarity, when I said “dark” in my previous post I was not referring to the EQ aspect of tone, like how we often refer to tones as bright or dark.

I meant dark as in opaque, as opposed to transparent.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.