H9/DMC- real wah action

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9/DMC- real wah action

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      camn
      Participant

Hey, people. I thought I posted this already.. but maybe I left it in ‘preview’…I wrote it here for sure:

Eventide H9/ Mission/ DMC real wah action mod.

Anyway, so my pedalboard was too big. I had my old wah pedal on there AND an expression pedal for the H9.

I wanted to clean it up… so I started using an H9 patch for Wahs. This sounded fine (actually great, and adjustable).. but I needed some planning to hit the patch. I lost some spontaneity in soloing.

SO.. what do I want? A switch that turns the wah on.. just like a wah does.

PEDALS I USE ALREADY:

Eventide H9, obv.

Mission SP-9 expression pedal

Disaster Area Designs DMC-3XL (gen3)

Note: I didn’t use the SWITCH on the Mission pedal for anything. I think it is cumbersome to use as an AUX switch, so I had a separate one.  To the left in thie pic here….

Obviously I got to thinking.. can I use THAT switch (the SP-9’s) to call the WAH preset on the H9? Via my DMC?  The Answer? YES.

It was easy.

The guys at mission thoughtfully put an extra hole in the side of that thing.

So I disconnected the switch from the board, wired it to a jack in that hole, and connected it to the DMC.

The DMC has a “FAVORITE PRESET” function for an attached switch.. which I set to my wah. DONE.

Notes: Although I could use the included switch, I actually pulled it and used a soft-switch that was a tiny bit longer. Any momentary switch works..including the SP-9s. I wanted it to trigger a tiny bit easier, though. The stock switch is tough to hit on velcro.

Now.. no matter what I am playing, I can engage the Wah preset by hitting the toe-position switch.

Pitfalls?

1. It sweeps my expression until I get there.

2. When I turn the wah OFF, it goes back to the last known DMC preset.. so you have to be using preset modes. It makes sense if you get how the DMC thinks. Only a problem if you cc-switched a bunch of patches before clicking on your wah.

3. When I DO return, my expression pedal starts high up.. which can be suboptimal.

4. Obviously, it is still only 1 H9. sigh.

Thats it!

crazy-specific, I know… but it really makes the H9 an almost-perfect wah-replacement.

cheers!

brock
      Participant

That was an excellent presentation.  Clear, concise, complete … more difficult to put together than it looks; especially in a forum format.  It’s always informative to sit in on another’s approach.  You’re going to make life a little easier for someone along the way – whether it ends up getting acknowledged or not.

Tangentially, it nudged me into finishing up some breadboard experiments that I have, languishing on the bench.  One inspired by that “Plus” freeze-type pedal: a big, honking keyboard sustain pedal / expression pedal hybrid for the H9.  (I need an Aux/Exp combo that I can’t possibly miss, for some granular looping).

camn
      Participant

For the Long-Term record.. obviously that expression pedal is an SP-H9.. not an SP-(, if there is such a thing. 

🙂

Also- thanks brock! I try and be consise. and half my life is build around little DIY how-tos like this one.. so whenever I figure something out, and I have the time and foresight, I try and write it up.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.