H9 Expression and Tap Switch Y Cable Setup

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Expression and Tap Switch Y Cable Setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Joszwa80

Hi everyone, ive owned 4 H9s so im pretty familiar with it. However my current setup requires me to use both expression and tap w the Y switch and i cant get it to work properly.

My steps:
      1. Utils – ExpTip- Both
      2. Tip goes to exp in of my Dunlop X Volume/Expression pedal (10k ohm Pot)
      3. Assigned Switch Parameters to Tap=Ring, Hotknob/expression=Tip

Ive even played around with all the possible combinations and reversing the assignments but i cant get the expression to work properly. The tap works but the expression does this weird thing where it only moves from 0- glitchy movement (doesnt cover the whole range) – back to 0 from heel to toe.

I tried the expression pedal and tap switch on its own and they work perfectly. My Y cable is TRS to H9, TS to Exp and TS to Tap Tempo switch. Help me guys i need this to work ,thx 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This is covered at length in the support section of the Web Site.

But, if your pedal goes 0-100-0, this means that it is a volume-type pedal with a stereo jack. You will either need to disconnect the wire going from the pot to the ring connection on the jack, or use a different pedal.

Joszwa80

Hey Nick, ok actually going from 0-100-0 was one of the scenario when inwas fooling around w the parameter switch config. It doesnt do that now all it does is glitch. Say if the expression is supposed to go from 0-50 it would just jump 0(heel)-glitchy movements to ard 10- 0 (toe).
      My Dunlop X should work right since it works on its own w the H9?
      Yes ive read quite a bit of this issue in the support section but i still cant figure it out.
      Are you sure disconnecting a wire is the answer??
      Thx Nick

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        joszwa80 wrote:

The wire is the answer to the 0-100-0 problem. Don't do it otherwise !!

Not sure about your glitches. Sounds like the pedal, but you say it is OK. Make sure the Y-lead is good.

Joszwa80
        nickrose wrote:
        joszwa80 wrote:

The wire is the answer to the 0-100-0 problem. Don't do it otherwise !!

Ok just checking is this the correct way to wire the Y Cable or is there other methods?

Not sure about your glitches. Sounds like the pedal, but you say it is OK. Make sure the Y-lead is good.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        joszwa80 wrote:
        Ok just checking is this the correct way to wire the Y Cable or is there other methods?

Looks good. You can buy them from Amazon.

The mono tip goes to the pedal.

Joszwa80

Ok my cables shouldnt be the problem i use 2 sets both made by Ron from RJM Music for me and they both did the same thing.

So if i understand u correctly if the expression pedal works in normal mode it doesnt guarantee itll work in the split Tap and Exp mode?

I checked the inside of the Dunlop X and its pretty much wired through a small pcb between the pot and jack so ive no idea which goes to the ring. Has anyone had experience in using Dunlop X with the Tap? Does Dunlop X work? I wanna know before i sell it to get another pedal. Ernie Ball Exp 25k definitely works right??

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        joszwa80 wrote:
        So if i understand u correctly if the expression pedal works in normal mode it doesnt guarantee itll work in the split Tap and Exp mode?

Indeed – in normal mode it has a stereo (TRS) jack, which is compatible with a TRS volume pedal, while in split mode the H9 offers a mono (TS) jack, which will give 0-100-0 when used with a TRS volume pedal.

joszwa80 wrote:
          Does Dunlop X work? I wanna know before i sell it to get another pedal. Ernie Ball Exp 25k definitely works right??

I'm not familiar with Dunlop X. Hopefully its manufacturer of one of our other users can help.

Ernie Ball Junior 25K is one we recommend – note that you must plug into the socket marked "OUTPUT."

Please also read out technote https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/using-both-aux-switch-and-expression-pedal-h9

Given To Fly
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

joszwa80 wrote:

Indeed – in normal mode it has a stereo (TRS) jack, which is compatible with a TRS volume pedal, while in split mode the H9 offers a mono (TS) jack, which will give 0-100-0 when used with a TRS volume pedal.

joszwa80 wrote:
          Does Dunlop X work? I wanna know before i sell it to get another pedal. Ernie Ball Exp 25k definitely works right??

I’m not familiar with Dunlop X. Hopefully its manufacturer of one of our other users can help.

Ernie Ball Junior 25K is one we recommend – note that you must plug into the socket marked “OUTPUT.”

Please also read out technote https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/using-both-aux-switch-and-expression-pedal-h9

“Further, many Volume pedals have too high an impedance, meaning that the pedal will only operate over part of its range – the impedance should ideally be between 10K and 25K.”

“Be aware that many expression pedals are hugely over-complex things which can be hard to set up.”

nickrose – I quoted these two parts from the technotes. Would an ideal expression pedal for the Factor Pedals and the H9 be a pedal with a 10k potentiometer and a single TS output? 

joszwa80 – I have been using the Ernie Ball Junior 25K and can verify that it does work. I am also having success controlling two Factor pedals or one Factor pedal and one H9 simultaneously with the 25K Stereo Volume Pedal. It has some quirks though. For that reason, I would recommend starting with the Ernie Ball Junior 25K.   

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Given To Fly wrote:

nickrose – I quoted these two parts from the technotes. Would an ideal expression pedal for the Factor Pedals and the H9 be a pedal with a 10k potentiometer and a single TS output? 

j

25k is more common, and is OK. Single TS output avoids the 0-100-0 issue. So, you are not wrong …

Given To Fly
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Given To Fly wrote:

j

25k is more common, and is OK. Single TS output avoids the 0-100-0 issue. So, you are not wrong …

I’m ok with not being wrong. 🙂    

jnasr
      Participant

Hello everyone,

I just got a coppersound dual tap pedal(used to control tap on delays pedals) , it says its compatible with Eventide, but cant seem to make it work 🙁

any ideas ?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        jnasr wrote:

I just got a coppersound dual tap pedal(used to control tap on delays pedals) , it says its compatible with Eventide, but cant seem to make it work 🙁

You should talk to the pedal's manufacturer, who will know more about it than do we. Tell them that our pedals look for 10-25K on a mono (TS) cable.

jnasr
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

jnasr wrote:

You should talk to the pedal’s manufacturer, who will know more about it than do we. Tell them that our pedals look for 10-25K on a mono (TS) cable.

thank you

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.