H9 expression over MIDI: IN and OUT customizable values?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 expression over MIDI: IN and OUT customizable values?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dedeman

1. Is there a way to manually map midi values for IN and OUT points for an expression pedal used over MIDI? I want it to start at 40 instead of 0 and stop to 80 instead of 100.  Can this be done in H9? Or, can I specify a MID value somewhere along the way, so I can set different curves? From midi controller the expression sends values from 0 to 127. So I want 0 in midi controller to be 40 in H9 and respectively 127 in controller 80 in H9.

2. And a subquestion, maybe related to the one above: Is autocalibration working for MIDI expression usage? If I deactivate calibration (“Yes” in pedal setup unde H9 control) can I manually calibrate IN and OUT (midi) points in H9? Where?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      dedeman wrote:

1. Is there a way to manually map midi values for IN and OUT points for an expression pedal used over MIDI? I want it to start at 40 instead of 0 and stop to 80 instead of 100.  Can this be done in H9? Or, can I specify a MID value somewhere along the way, so I can set different curves? From midi controller the expression sends values from 0 to 127. So I want 0 in midi controller to be 40 in H9 and respectively 127 in controller 80 in H9.

You can set min and max values for remotely controlled parameters. See UM p.34.

dedeman wrote:

2. And a subquestion, maybe related to the one above: Is autocalibration working for MIDI expression usage? If I deactivate calibration ("Yes" in pedal setup unde H9 control) can I manually calibrate IN and OUT (midi) points in H9? Where?

There is no autocalibration for MIDI pedals – the H9 does not know it's a pedal – it just views it as a MIDI CC.  And, we rather expect the pedal's electronics to deal with calibration or other adjustments.

dedeman

I have read that, but these MIN and MAX values pertain to different parameters in H9. What I was asking for was to be able to set the min and max values of the CC number controlled by the expression pedal. Maybe I wasn’t really clear in my question, so I will try to depict it bellow:

H9 parameter value: 0
      Expression CC pedal value:60

The reason I need this is that I want to assign the same CC number to 2 functions in H9: Activate and Expression Pedal. This way, when I press the expression I want to activate the preset and the continue using the pedal to vary some parameters. Basically, I want an auto switched WAH.

From what I understand, on/off midi CC messages are switched when value of the CC is higher than 63 for On and lower than 64 for Off.

Is that making more sense?

brock
      Participant

I’m reading this as two different requests.  If you want to scale H9 parameter ranges to a full MIDI CC range of 0-127, you can do that.  Set the MINVAL and MAXVAL directly to a parameter [KB0 – KB9].    Configure or LEARN Activate to the same incoming MIDI CC message.  I’ll add a couple of caveats to this approach:

• The parameter mappings are global; not per-preset.  So, a Wah sweep in one preset might be a pitch change in another; both limited to the minimum & maximum range limits.
      • ACTIVATE is going to kick in from CC value 64-127; no matter what.  Whatever Wah sweep range you want to continue will also be limited to 64-127.  Effectively, you’re working mid-pedal-to-toe on the physical pedal.
      • Any time you venture near midpoint, on the footpedal itself, you run the risk of bypassing the H9.

The other approach:  scaling MIDI CC range to a full H9 parameter range 0-100 (or, as appropriate).  Most often, that’s a property of the MIDI controller itself.  I have seen some self-contained synths and rack units that scale both ‘in & out’, but don’t recall any pedals that do.  That will still limit what you want to accomplish to the upper half of the physical pedal sweep.

I use a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus for things like this.  There are probably other hardware options on their site [Filter; Pedal Controller] that would get you where you need to go; simpler, and slightly more cost effective.  The EPP is highly configurable to most any kind of MIDI message processing, though.

The incoming, full-range MIDI CC message can be split into different CCs; unique ranges, converted to another MIDI message type, etc.  In your example, ACTIVATE could be 8-127 [leaving a 0-7 value as a ‘dead spot’ for bypass].  That leaves a much wider pedal sweep for wah frequencies.  But that’s a basic example.  The EPP can be customized to output almost anything that you can dream up, as nearly-simultaneous, serial MIDI ‘events’.

dedeman

Thank you for your input. I already went through the problem of half sweep on the pedal. Is not usable, indeed. Nothing to do on H9 about that, for now, at least. Maybe Eventide will address this simple thing like a MID point in the value of a CC. I used to have that in G Major 2 which I sold to go to H9. Now I miss that one thing. Maybe it could be implemented as a MIDI PEDAL CALIBRATION FEATURE? It is up to Eventide. However, I wouldn’t go for a different controller for now… I just got my third H9. wink

So, Eventide, do you hear us? smiley

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.