H9 Expression Pedal Help needed

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Expression Pedal Help needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      feis

So I have been using the H9 for a while and I’m really digging it.

After playing around with the Control App, I noticed a feature that I didn’t notice before, and that is MORE -> EXP controls input/output volume

I am constantly trying to minimize my rig, because I need to squish everything into a Mono Cases The Tick because I don’t have a car and needless to say the H9 is the MVP in any mini-rig.

I also love volume pedals and I like using an expression pedal with the H9, but since I can only control one pedal at a time, I pretty much only use the volume pedal on algorithms where I don’t use the expression pedal and vice versa, so my new discovery made me really excited, because I’m hoping to minimize my rig further and to only use one pedal for my volume pedal and expression pedal needs.

So far I have been using a Roland EV-5 for expression pedal needs, e.g. I like blending in additional voices in the pitchfuzz algo, changing the LFO speed on the modfilter algo or using it to change playback speed, direction and playlength on the looper algo for glitchy sounds, and it served me well.

However it doesn’t seem to work well with this volume control function that I just discovered. Just for a try I connected my Earnie Ball VP JR 250k with a regular TS patch cable to the EXP jack and I was surprised it actually worked just as well (or concerning the volume function just as bad) as the EV-5, even though the manual says maximum 25k taper on the EXP pedal. Interesting.

Anyways, I am willing to buy a different EXP pedal if I can get this to work. I did a recording of all the different setups I tried, EV-5 controlling input volume, controlling output volume, EB VPJR doing the two different options and the VPJR in its standard configuration as a stand alone volume pedal, which is my reference tone that I am trying to achieve.

https://soundcloud.com/user-883449190/sets/eventide-h9-inputoutput-volume-control-with-expression-pedal/s-WyRFkKPy3MJ

I hope you can hear the difference how the volume pedal function of the H9 with these 2 different pedals sounds kind of choppy, like it has a really weird tremolo effect und not as pillowy soft as the VPJR solo

Is it simply me using the wrong pedals, and which other expression pedal can do what I am after?

bohan
      Eventide Staff

Sorry to disappoint you. The EXP volume control is digital and is affected by the control signal cycle. Therefore, it cannot function as smoothly as the volume pedal.

feis
      bohan wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you. The EXP volume control is digital and is affected by the control signal cycle. Therefore, it cannot function as smoothly as the volume pedal.

Oh bummer 🙁

Any plans of changing this in the future? Am I misinterpreting the use of that feature? Can it be used for something else?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.