H9 Firmware Bug?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Firmware Bug?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      JCR
      Participant

I have updated both my H9’s to the latest firmware version H9_5.3.0[4].

H9.1: midi in/out: 1/1, Sys ID: 1

H9.2: midi in/out: 2/2, Sys ID: 2

With these settings I can make midi dumps with both H9’s by the midi out port but H9 Control (Windows & iOS, both latest versions) can’t connect any longer to H9.2 by bluetooth! H9 Control gives an error that H9.2 is not responding.

If I set the midi Sys ID for H9.2 back to 1 H9 Control can connect again by bluetooth. With both H9’s set to Sys ID: 1 there is a big problem though making midi dumps because of the midi route on my board: H9.1 -> H9.2 -> computer. When making a midi dump with H9.1 the SysEx data is processed by H9.2 because of the same Sys ID, which screws-up H9.2. Settings. Setting H9.2 Sys ID back to 2 makes bluetooth connection impossible.

SysEx data is midi channel independent so every H9 should have it’s own sysex id!

I guess this is a firmware bug?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I believe that the Bluetooth, now and before, looks for a Sysex ID of 1.  There is no obvious reason for this, so we can change it in a future release.

H9 Control on USB will only work with one H9, as there is no way to chain them (USB in, but no USB out).

JCR
      Participant

My iPad Air does not see the H9 when connected by usb (camera kit) so the old fashioned midi connection is the way to go if you want to save the whole H9 setup as sysex data on the iPad for backup.

It would be great if the H9 bluetooth could work with sys id’s other than 1.

Is it an idea to add an backup/restore option to H9 Control so that the complete H9 system setup can be saved (and restored if needed)? The presets can be saved allready, so why not the system settings too?

gkellum
        Participant
        JCR wrote:

Is it an idea to add an backup/restore option to H9 Control so that the complete H9 system setup can be saved (and restored if needed)? The presets can be saved allready, so why not the system settings too?

We'd like to add that as a feature but it would be hard to implement.  It would have to be able to back up and restore settings regardless of the OS version, and so we'd not only need to read and restore all the settings but keep track of which settings were introduced in which OS releases…  

skywriter
      Participant

I would love to see multiple H9’s on USB. Having all five on the same iPad would simplify things immeasurably for me.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        SkyWriter wrote:
        I would love to see multiple H9's on USB. Having all five on the same iPad would simplify things immeasurably for me.

Sorry – unlikely. Because the H9 does not have a USB host connector (way beyond its capabilities), you cannot daisy chain them. Also, because of hardware restrictions, you cannot come in USB and go out DIN MIDI. 

You probably could come in DIN MIDI and go out DIN MIDI, but this would require a DIN MIDI adaptor for your iPad, and, we have not tested this witth multiple units.

skywriter
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

SkyWriter wrote:
        I would love to see multiple H9’s on USB. Having all five on the same iPad would simplify things immeasurably for me.

Sorry – unlikely. Because the H9 does not have a USB host connector (way beyond its capabilities), you cannot daisy chain them. Also, because of hardware restrictions, you cannot come in USB and go out DIN MIDI. 

You probably could come in DIN MIDI and go out DIN MIDI, but this would require a DIN MIDI adaptor for your iPad, and, we have not tested this witth multiple units.

Well, Nick, however much I like the H9, and the all the other Eventide products I have; H3000, GTR4000, H8000FW – it’s not clear at all to me why a maximum of 5 per account was set at all. The only way I’ve been able to use all 5 is with 2 iPad’s and I’m sorry to say it’s not a solution I would recommend to anyone. 3 Seems to the be optimal limit – assuming you don’t have a 64bit iPad that supports even fewer H9’s. When you spec a limit of 5, the expectation is you should be able to use all 5 – clearly the limitation falls with Apple, but when you guys are as in the dark as we are, it doesn’t reflect well on you.           

JCR
      Participant

I am controlling both my H9’s completely with good old DIN MIDI. For both units the MIDI is daisy chained and that works very well, although SysEx dumps are giving problems if the first H9 is sending SysEx data and the second H9 is not set for MIDI thru and a different Sys ID. If MIDI merge is used on the second H9 it crashes completely while processing the MIDI SysEx data from the H9 upstream. It is to much data to process…

I have good results with the Neusonic uMIDI/022 MIDI adapter and the Terrasoniq MIDI ONE USB MIDI Cable Interface, both combined with the camera kit, the Quicco Sound mi.1 wireless MIDI Adapter and the all new Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless MIDI adapter. The two wireless MIDI Adapters can not be used without some help powering them as the H9 does not provide MIDI power on the output though and both these units depends on it! But it can be done and it works very stable in my rig.

I have attached a layout of my pedalboard MIDI setup.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.