H9 – freezing up when using app + midi cc at same time

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 – freezing up when using app + midi cc at same time

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Shor
      Participant

Hi,

Are there any issues using the app at the same time as sending it midi cc from elsewhere?

I frequently and consistently manage to crash the H9 where the only way of fixing it is to power cycle it when i use the app + my other midi cc controllers with it.

This only happens when I use both the app as well as midi cc from my sequencers (octatrack etc). Are there known issues doing this? I quite like having the app running while I send it midi so I can see what is going on.

I’m not really flooding it with midi either, but sure, the Octatrack does spit out a lot of midi cc compared to what I’d do when just turning knobs by hand.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We really haven't tested driving the H9 from multiple simultaneous MIDI sources and would advise against it.

I'm surprised that it would crash the unit, but it was not designed to be used like this, especially with heavy MIDI traffic.

We'll look into it in the future.

Shor
      Participant

Thanks for the reply!

To clarify, the device will still work and the current settings are still active, but i can’t change anything, or even bypass the effect without powercycling first.

Anyway, it’s not a big issue, but I wanted to get some clarity on if it was a known thing or if it was intended to be able to use both bluetooth with app, and other midi cc control at the same time.

Thank you! 🙂

camn
      Participant

Id weigh in that I OFTEN use a MIDI controller and the App at the same time. 

Not a ton of CC messages.. but it wourks fine.

Shor
      Participant

I do notice that if I just use normal means of contronlling cc it’s fine. But if I sequence midi cc it can do a lot more changes than you’d normally be able to do by hand, and that just seems to choke it.

If I actually don’t sequence it, but just turn midi cc knobs it works fine in conjunction with the app, but once I hit play on my sequencer and let it go, it’ll just choke the H9 (if bluetooth is also active with the app).

If I only run my sequencer it performs like a champ though.

Thank you for your input as well, as it’s nice to hear other experiences.

Shor
      Participant

Had another go with it today and sequencing it pretty heavily from my Octatrack, and it does work together with the app as long as I don’t go about changing algos from the app, and just use the app for display. That’s perfectly fine be me then. I can still crash it consistently if Eventide wants some feedback on it 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If you have a repeatable way to crash it without using your sequencer, that would be helpful.

I can believe that if you load algorithms while sending it heavy MIDI it will choke it.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.