H9 FX Trails using Exp Pedal not Preset switching

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 FX Trails using Exp Pedal not Preset switching

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      chris.veitch

Hi,

i’m trying to work out how to get FX trails that I can make come and go within a preset. The effect would be similar to the FX trails you get when changing presets as is possible using the DSP+FX setting, without having to change a preset, if you know what i mean.

For example using delay i want to be able to play a dry note then, on playing the next note create delay that trails whilst i go back to playing dry. The idea was to be able to use the exp pedal to bring the delay on and off and when having done so, have the delay trailing so i can select which notes it affects whilst I was playing and hopefully the volume level of the delay.

I’ve tried:

– setting mix value to between min 0 and max 100 however when I hit a note with the mix on 100 and then roll back off on the exp to 0 it kills all sound.

– using my fx loop on my amp but it’s in series so just cuts all sound if I take the mix level down to 0 like above.

I have my bypass set to DSP + FX.

I’m hoping that the mighty H9 can achieve this!

Any help appreciated!

Chris

bohan
      Eventide Staff

If you have set the bypass mode to DSP+FX, why not just use the left footswitch on H9 to achieve this?

brock
      Participant

I’m thinking that you need to bind your expression pedal to Input Level.

chris.veitch

Hi Thanks for the responses. I’ve tried setting the exp pedal to control input vol but that also kills all audio when in the heel down position.

As for using the left foot switch, yes this work but I was hoping to assign multiple hotknob parameters to the exp pedal to get more control, rather than just on/off. I also would rather not have to step on the H9 all the time! I could use an external foot switch but I still don’t get the variation from using the exp pedal.

One thought I had today was to split the signal and use both inputs, then in the delay have A set to permanently dry and B set up as the delay. I could then use a vol pedal on the 2nd output. Not sure if thus will work. Will need to experiment.

Thanks

Chh

camn
      Participant

im thinking Ducked. Lemme check this out I might already have it

camn
      Participant

oh wait its not ducked.. but I used to do something close to this effect. Not totally it, but close. 

It was a bit cumbersome but it was like this:

DSP/FX Bypass mode.

EXP set to MIX 0-100

Usually an very long type delay

play the line I want to repeat

BYPASS out. the line continues. At this point andy thing I play is Dry, and the EXP controls the volume of the previous repeat.

If I want some more live prepeast, I just activate in, start at dry-mix and fade in.

YOu could toggle the BYPASS switch to throw certain notes in, as well.

umbersome, It is true

chris.veitch

Thanks Camn will try that out tonight!

apalazzolo
      Participant

The mighty H9 CAN do this … using the PitchFuzz algo. 

The way I think of it is you have to selectively pinch off the signal running into a delay while always allowing a dry signal pass through.  In PitchFuzz, you set pitch voices A and C to off and set pitch voice B to “0” (no harmony).  You set the delay B time and feedback as desired.  I have the ARP LEVEL set at 27 ARP WET.  Then set the PITCH AMOUNT for  expression control to range from about 0.8 to 1.8 “voices” (voice A is always on and voice B blends in).    My expression pedal has a bit of slop in it so this range ensures proper response.

Set like this, voice B is a non-harmony delayed signal that is in parallel with your dry signal (voice A) and controlled by your expression pedal.  This is very clear to see in PEDAL VIEW.

In total, my setting are:

OFF … 0 … 0.8-1.8 …OFF … 0 … OFF

ARP WET 27 … 450ms … OFF … FB1:44

On a related note, I have suggested that EVENTIDE add this feature to the ULTRATAP algo.  In ULTRATAP, the bottom right control is entirely “unused” while the “chop” control is “off”.  This “unused” control could be an expression-pedal-controllable “input level” control for the delay (while not affecting the level of the dry signal at the output).   Since this knob has always been “unused” in this algo, this change would be backward compatible with all prior presets.   ULTRATAP is a great delay and It’d be great to have this feature there too.  So far, It looks like I’m the only one that thinks this is a good idea.

chris.veitch

Wow! Thanks for this reply. I will definitely try it out. Great idea on using the spare button. Hopefully they are reading the posts!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.