H9 Hotswitch/Performance Switch via MIDI (acting inconsistent?)

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Hotswitch/Performance Switch via MIDI (acting inconsistent?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      dented42ford
      Participant

Hey there!  I’ll try not to bore y’all with too many details…

Basic setup – I have two H9’s being controlled by a RJM Mastermind PBC, on Channels 1 and 2.  I have programmed a [momentary] switch to send MIDI CC#4 (to both) to activate (and deactivate on release) the “Performance Switch” function on the H9’s.  I know it is sending the on/off messages correctly, because when the H9’s are in a TimeFactor preset, they work as expected – when I hold down the button, the repeat turns on (units acknowledge, as well as the software on iPad or Mac).

The issue is that it doesn’t seem to work with the “Hotswitch” of the other models, specifically Space, and can be a bit iffy with TimeFactor algos.  Sometimes when I activate the switch it toggles the mode, sometimes it acts correctly, and sometimes it doesn’t do anything at all.  I have tried a lot of things to “Clear Up” the issue – changing CC’s, using a toggle rather than a momentary, setting the two H9’s on different channels, and so on.  It doesn’t seem to help with the behavior!

Am I missing something on how this is supposed to work?  All other MIDI functions seem to work correctly – PC’s change presets, Expression Pedal assignments work, tap tempo works, and so on.  It is just the “performance switch” that is giving me issues.  I’m sure it is just something simple I missed, and I’d really like to be able to use the “Hotswitch” functionality on both units simultaneously, for a couple of effects I have in mind.  Any advice y’all can offer?

brock
      Participant

Here’s a quick breakdown of Performance / HotSwitch setup over MIDI:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/21647#comment-21647

dented42ford
      Participant

Thanks, Brock!  That post explains my difficulties!

By the way, to Eventide Staff – that is a ridiculously counterintuitive and absolutely unnecessarry system.  It really should be consistent accross all algos, since programming three seperate switches to do something that has no reason to be more than one is asinine at best.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, in general the H9 is amazingly well-thought-out in its MIDI implementation – far moreso than most other products of similar complexity – but this [nicely, as far as I could tell, undocumented] “feature” is basically useless as implemented…

Ok, enough ranting.  I’m going to go see if I can figure out how to send the correct messages via the RJM now.  Otherwise, I may have to give up on the “Hotswitch” settings – which is actually ok, since it works for the TimeFactor Algos, which is what I really wanted it for in any case, but still a-little-more-than-mildly annoying.

mjahoger
      Participant

Has this issue been solved since the last (previous) post in 2015?

I.e., is it possible to assign a footswitch wih a specific CC with one value number (between 64-127) to toggle between on/off on the hotswitch/perfomance switches across all algorithms?

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        mjahoger wrote:

Is it possible to assign a footswitch with a specific CC with one value number (between 64-127) to toggle between on/off on the hotswitch/perfomance switches across all algorithms?

Yes. You can use assign an aux footswitch, or a MIDI footswitch/controller to toggle the HotSwitch. You can do that easily in H9 Control by going to the "Pedal Settings" screen can click the MIDI Settings or Aux Switch mappings.

mjahoger
      Participant

So the Hotswitch/Performance switch will work identically across the Space, TF, PF, and MF algorithms, with the same CC message value (between 64-127) toggling between on/off? Or do I still need to assign two switches for turning the hotswitch on and off as the CC value for “off” is between values 0 and 63?

mjahoger
      Participant

OK. So I was able to profram my MIDI controller to send both value 0 and 127 so the hotswitch does get toggled for the ModFactor and Space algorithms. However, the PitchFactor hotswitch seems to be a temporary switch, so it seems I can’t control the middle button of the PitchFactor algorithms. Am I correct?

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        mjahoger wrote:
        OK. So I was able to profram my MIDI controller to send both value 0 and 127 so the hotswitch does get toggled for the ModFactor and Space algorithms. However, the PitchFactor hotswitch seems to be a temporary switch, so it seems I can’t control the middle button of the PitchFactor algorithms. Am I correct?

So the Hotswitch/Performance switch will work identically across Space, TF, PF, and MF algorithms, with the same CC message value (between 64-127) toggling between on/off?

Yes and no. You can assign the same CC to control the Hotswitch/Performance switch. However, they work differently based on the currently loaded algorithm.

You can control the PitchFactor Hotswitch. The way the performance/middle switch on the PitchFacor works is that when you press and hold it, the FLEX is on. When you release it, it turns off. So it is momentary but you can still control it using static CC values.

How the performance/middle switch works in different algorithms:

TF: value 127 toggles between REPEAT on/off

MF: value 127 brakes the modulation, fast switching between 127 and 0 toggles FAST/SLOW modulation

PF: value 127 triggers FLEX on and value 0 triggers FLEX off

SPACE/H9 algorithms: value 127 triggers HOTSWITCH on and value 0 triggers HOTSWITCH off

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.