H9 incoming tap tempo issue

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 incoming tap tempo issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      jaime136
      Participant

I'm having an issue getting the H9 to respond to an incoming tap tempo CC#. No matter what combination of global tempo settings I use, I get nothing.

The CC# is generated by a TC Electronic G-system outputing on MIDI channel #1. The switch is set to toggle, not hold which I believe is correct.

This goes to an Avid Eleven rack set on MIDI channel 1. The CC# is 64 as this is what the Eleven requires and this works fine.

The Elven Rack has MIDI thru and CC# pass-through enabled. I have also tried MIDI out as well with no luck.

In the H9 MIDI setup menu, I've gone to Receive MIDI channel and set it to 1 and Receive CC Messages and set the control destination to "tap". The the CC is mapped to C64. "Learn" shows up on the screen and I tap the tap switch on the G-system.

(I also set the tap CC# to 64 in the global MIDI settings.)

Go out to play mode, tap the tempo on the G System. The Eleven Rack responds and the H9 does nothing.

I have a feeling I'm missing something simple, but I can't figure out what it is. If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The tap switch should be momentary, not toggle.

You don't actually say what happens when you tap the switch in learn mode.

LA Keys
      Participant

I think your setup is wrong because if you want to keep everything in sync you should use midi clock to put everything in sync, NOT send the tap tempo everywhere like you're trying to do.

You should first select which "pedal" is going to be the master. This could be the H9 or the G-system.

If you choose the G-system then you will tap the tempo using the "edit/tap tempo" switch (top right of the pedal).  Also read p.45 of the manual. It appear that you could also set another switch as the tempo switch if you want. If not p.51 explain the tap tempo switch.

According to p.75 of the manual the realtime clock is sent and received but I cannot see in the manual how to set the G-system as a master. You may have to ask TC Electronic for support about that.

You will then connect the midi OUT of the G-system to the midi IN of the H9. Several thing need to be done on the H9.

– The midi receive channel should match the G-system

– Enable midi clock in should be set to yes

– Enable midi clock out should be set to no

– Midi output mode should be set to thru  (to pass midi clock to the Eleven rack)

– Global tempo should be set to NO (under general setting)

At this point the H9 should receive the midi clock from the G-system. Please make sure of this before going any further.

You will then need to connect the midi OUT of the H9 to the midi IN of the Eleven rack.  Next step is to set the Eleven rack to use incoming Midi clock. This is under utility setting. p.23 of the manual.

The Eleven rack should now use the midi clock from the G-system, thru the H9, as the tempo source and everything should be in sync.

LA

jaime136
      Participant

Those are the only two choices when setting up the switch. One tap broadcasts 0, the next 127, the next 0 and so on. The switch isnt a latching switch.  Isn't that they way it should work?

the H9 displays "learn" and I press the button it does nothing. It still shows learn and does not do anything else. I have to hit preset to go back up a menu level or right switch/hot knob back to play mode. 

LA Keys
      Participant

One more thing,

It appear that only firmware 3.0 and later allows the G to receive MIDI clock info. As long as your computer's MIDI-out is connected to the G's MIDI-in then
      it should receive it.  There is no screen to configure it that way – it
      just does it.

This is taken directly from the G-system forum:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/4226/midi-clock-for-tempo/

LA

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I am assuming that you are trying to use the CC to tap in a tap tempo value, meaning you have a remote tap switch. If you are trying to use it to send a tempo value, you should study the comments from Mr Keys above. Otherwise…

jaime136:

One tap broadcasts 0, the next 127, the next 0

This would not work as a tap switch – it needs to send 127 when you press and 0 when you release – much like a momentary pushbutton.

jaime136:

the H9 displays "learn" and I press the button it does nothing

This rather suggests one of two things:

1) That you are not sending on the MIDI channel the H9 is expecting. Set the H9 receive channel to OMNI to avoid this.

2) that the H9 is not seeing the MIDI – check your cables and whatever is sending the MIDI.

LA Keys
      Participant

jaime136:

This goes to an Avid Eleven rack set on MIDI channel 1. The CC# is 64 as this is what the Eleven requires and this works fine.

Because you already got it working between the G-system and the Eleven rack there's also another option. Which is not the best way to do it but should also work.

2nd Option:

Plug a midi cable from midi OUT of the Eleven Rack to the midi IN of the H9

– The Eleven Rack should be set to transmit midi clock

– The H9 should be set the same way as I wrote before

LA

jaime136
      Participant

Wow, what a great response!

I should have mentioned:

-according to this post: http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11452/midi-clock/        the G-system will not broadcast MIDI clock. It will receive it, however, with the most recent firmware which it has. If it would broadcast the clock there wouldn't be a problem.

-I have assigned another unused switch on the GS to send the CC instead of the default "global tap" switch which, I suppose, only controls the G's effects.

-I used the settings LA Keys provided upstream

– The midi receive channel should match the G-system (tried omni as well)

– Enable midi clock in should be set to yes

– Enable midi clock out should be set to no

– Midi output mode should be set to thru  (to pass midi clock to the Eleven rack)

– Global tempo should be set to NO (under general setting)

and still nothing.

-I tried going directly from the GS to the H9 and still am not getting anything. That's troubleshooting 101 and I should have tried this earlier.

It just seems the H9 doesn't like the message it's getting from the GSys. The end result will, hopefully, be: G-system on the floor, controlling the 11R and H9 patch selection and tempo controls, with the H9 in a rack shelf.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I'll keep at it.

LA Keys
      Participant

Let's clarify a few thing:

jaime136:

-according to this post: http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11452/midi-clock/        the G-system will not broadcast MIDI clock.

That sucks, especially since p.75 of their manual say that it recognize AND transmit midi clock…

jaime136:

-I have assigned another unused switch on the GS to send the CC instead of the default "global tap" switch which, I suppose, only controls the G's effects.

-I used the settings LA Keys provided upstream

Humm, just want to make sure that you understand that my suggestion will only work if you can get a midi clock to the H9. The setup I've wrote will NOT work with a tap tempo sent via CC.

jaime136:

-I tried going directly from the GS to the H9 and still am not getting anything.

Well, that's the main problem. The GS doesn't not transmit midi clock but recognize it. The only way to work with midi clock is then to put it at the end of the chain. Having the "master" midi clock generated by the H9 or the Eleven Rack.

Why not using the H9 to set the tap tempo, then connect the midi out to transmit the clock to everything else?

jaime136:

If you do this you will end up with half the tempo on the H9 because the GS will toggle the value between 0 and 127 for a switch press . If you want to try this you have to set the H9 with the same CC for the tap tempo as the CC you choosed on the GS. This is under "Assign midi CC message to pedal; function" -> "tap tempo" on th H9.

Then, because you're not, using midi clock you should probable set "enable midi clock input" to NO, but set "enable midi clock output" to yes, so the H9 will be able to broadcast the midi clock (if needed)

LA

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.